Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont get to excited by who Port interview. Port interview more players than any other club. Port will basically interview every player with a national or state invite and then interview players outside this list. They are also likely to interview a heap of players multiple times. It is really only those kids that get interviewed in the last week before the draft that you can really take anything out of who they are interviewing.
Just quoting this so it doesn't pass unnoticed.

Just finished watching TAC Cup Future stars and wallace reviewed our list.
Surprisingly he said some good things about our list
with 3 first rounders last yr and with our awesome draft in 06 we should
be pressing for finals next yr.
Sheehan reckons we'll draft some Billy smedts vic country kid.

Just finished watching TAC Cup Future stars and wallace reviewed our list.
Surprisingly he said some good things about our list
with 3 first rounders last yr and with our awesome draft in 06 we should
be pressing for finals next yr.
Sheehan reckons we'll draft some Billy smedts vic country kid.

Another Nick Salter. :)

link
Falcons coach Paul Hood said despite Smedts' dominant performance in front of goal, he would actually prefer to be playing him in the backline and he spent a quarter of yesterday's game across half-back.

"I think he's a better defender than a forward and there's been a bit of debate among the match committee about that," Hood said.
link

The Pick 16 Player since our inception

1996: Pat Steinfort (RIC) 0 Games
1997: Ben Wolton (STK) 0 Games
1998: Brett Burton (ADL) 177 Games
1999: David Haynes (WCE) 65 Games
2000: Scott Thompson (MEL) 176 Games
2001: Rick Ladson (HAW) 115 Games
2002: Stephen Gilham (PA) 86 Games
2003: Josh Willoughby (SYD) 0 Games
2004: Adam Pattison (RIC) 66 Games
2005: Richard Douglas (ADL) 78 Games
2006: Mitchell Brown (WCE) 37 Games
2007: Matthew Lobbe (PA) 3 Games
2008: Ryan Schoenmakers (HAW) 24 Games
2009: Jasper Pittard (PA) 0 Games

Seems similiar to Pittard

My thoughts as well.

Looks a natural defender and always looks up-field for the best release option.

Could go top 20-25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of Kane Cornes.

people seem to rate smedts agility and speed as elite. flanker with very good disposal, and midfield potential. vic country--- sounds exactly like who we would draft. ild much rather we go for someone who is really a mid but this guy looks good. especially for pick 16. i want caddy/hallahan/prestia/green, i dont care if we take smedts as long as we can get another pick and one of these guys ( assuming smith/ polec / lycett are gone).

people seem to rate smedts agility and speed as elite. flanker with very good disposal, and midfield potential. vic country--- sounds exactly like who we would draft.
a unique blend of speed and endurance.

Top 3/5 draft prospect SA's Sam Day was just on 5AA. I have been keen that we somehow target him, but I now have some doubts after listening to him.

It sounds like he is keen to have a look at a US College scholarship for Basketball or Baseball. He is going to the US with his old man shortly, I think before the national draft. He has put himself in the draft but sounds like he will be open to offers from the US Colleges. He reckons he probably isn't tall enough to be a basketballer but at 194/95cms and 94/95kgs and still growing who knows. I don't think NBA do it, but MLB teams have been known to sign up kids from Oz for $1mil+ and put them thru college and single A teams in their first couple of years in the US.

I wonder what happens if he gets taken say 1, 2 or 3 and gets a US scholarship offer and takes that up. Can he walk out on an AFL club with no penalty? Would he just stick around for the standard 2 years then go to the US.

It probably makes sense for the GC to pick him with 1,2,3 or 5 as they still have plenty of picks, ie worth the risk, but if you have pick 4 or 6 do you risk it??

If he goes to play basketball in the US, then an AFL club (say, us) can international rookie him outside of the draft in a couple of years if it doesn't work out, can't they?

To be an international rookie, don't you have to be ... umm ... an international, ie not an Australian citizen? This is a different rule than say Daniel Bass who we picked up as a 3 year non-registered player.

Oh ok, lets say he did that then. its four years for an american college degree anyway, isn't it?

Yeah if he did a full time course load for some sort of ordinary degree. Then it would be like free-agency mayhem for him I guess. Every club would be into him to agree to be drafted under the non-registered rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back