Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

the roos are definately ahead of richmond. have put a very good young midfield together, 2 good rucks still youngish. again im not sure on their spine their forward line looks a worry, need key forwards. they will tell you they drafted a good kid last year but you really need to go through 8 kids just to find 1 or 2 that make it.

I really dont rate North for one main reason.They have no real quality anywhere on the ground atm
Yes they have hansen in the forward line and cunnignton ziebel bastinac and co in the midfeild.
But they have nothing or martin cotchin deleido etc..Richmond and North both have shit back lines and i think Richmond should be infront of North.
Jackson,Foley,Martin,Cotchin,deliedo tambling reiwolt vikery graham.North dont
have much.
Not sure about Port,our midfeild is a worry and im not convinced on our forward line? Defence is solid though

Only behind Melbourne and North Melbourne for mine, and I don't know if we're indeed behind...

Not sure about Port,our midfeild is a worry and im not convinced on our forward line? Defence is solid though

our midfield looked alright when primus took over and we were more accountable. and with sal, harts and gray to add to that midfield thats a super bunch of talent to add. take 3 players of that calibre out of any team for half the season and they will not make the top 4.

I really dont rate North for one main reason.They have no real quality anywhere on the ground atm
Yes they have hansen in the forward line and cunnignton ziebel bastinac and co in the midfeild.( and levi greenwood. agree that outside of midfield is a worry)
But they have nothing or martin cotchin deleido etc..Richmond and North both have shit back lines and i think Richmond should be infront of North.
Jackson,Foley,Martin,Cotchin,deliedo tambling ( problem is their group after that is shocking) reiwolt vikery (looks promising but done nothing at afl level yet and as i said talls can barely be counted until they really establish themselves) graham.North dont
have much.

in brackets.

I agree with you philthy we do we a very good group of outside midfeilders boak gray pearce rodan hartlett.We NEED some young inside midfeilders i know we have Thomas and Broady is a big unit but i think both we need young players to replace kane and dom in the future.Its really hard to gauge developing teams and i think melbourne may be overated.Macdonald and Bruce i think will be big losses next season,well more than expected macdonald is an excellent tackler etc.
I dont know im not sure as i havent watched Melbourne or North much.
But Richmond have the best young midfeild in the comp by far

ive mentioned luke mitchell here before, had a shoulder? injury during the champs. 196cm key forward who kicked 5 goals in the tac gf. if we take krak compo then we have what picks 32 and 33? maybe a target for us.

ideally b.smith or lycett are left to our pick 16, otherwise best mid preferably inside preferably not vic metro. then picks 32 and 33 on mitchell and another mid.

caddy would be good for us. i think we have boak (inside outside/magnet), sal ( in/out) cassisi (in/tag) pearce (out) cornes (out/tag) hartlett (out/ class) gray (in/out class) rodan (in/out) .

ild think we need 2 or 3 more mids to make us a great midfield. ideally 1 line breaker or class user, and a real hard body inside mid. we have a few mids that can play inside, but only boak and cassisi are the real fight in the pack types where gray and rodan and find and break types. i think moore could always develop into a defender / run and carry midfielder, and pittard is known as a class user of the ball so we have some talent there that may fill needs. just that fight in the pack type im talking about.

caddy matches that description but i dont see us going for a vic metro kid. hallahan works and is vic country. parker is a vic country boy as well, and is in/out. josh green from what i heard is a real nuggetty type mid, gets lots of the ball in close. expected to go in the 18-26 range. love to see us get a pick in that range and get him. tassie boy. prestia is described as rodan but with a 60m kick. 2nd round pick. reece conca (wa) also a good mid to look at around pick 20-30ish. rohan bewick (wa mid) or sam gray (sa)with late picks.

get z.fitzgerald, j.solly, luke mitchell as late draft pickups ( all kp). lycett if available but 90% sure he would be gone by our 1st.

if as kevin sheehan said on future stars we go flanker like smedts we must target contested mid with 2nd pick. ideally target picks 20-32 that we can trade for. teams with late 1st rounders like saints may part with them. i can see us with a chance then to get quality players like conca,green, solly,presti with them.
First bold you forgot Matt Thomas.

Second bold I'm sure they'll go best available wherever they come from.

Third bold why would use a first round pick on a flanker this year?

ive mentioned luke mitchell here before, had a shoulder? injury during the champs. 196cm key forward who kicked 5 goals in the tac gf. if we take krak compo then we have what picks 32 and 33? maybe a target for us.

ideally b.smith or lycett are left to our pick 16, otherwise best mid preferably inside preferably not vic metro. then picks 32 and 33 on mitchell and another mid.

Big, big wrap for this kid. Quick, tough, strong in the tackle and is already a 70-80 metre player.

He would have had about 15 kicks today in the 1st semi which, added up, would have covered 700 metres AND hit the target. His goal late in the game went through just under post height an he kicked it from about 51m.

I don't know whether it's just the shoulder strapping or his ability to fend off a tackler but he screams of Judd.

I reckon it's touch and go as to whether he'll be there at our first pick.

Seems there is a lot of SA talent running around this year. Would be disappointed if we didn't pick one of these guys up.

If Sal leaves, looks unlikely, but if he does we might be able to upgrade our pick by trading with Essendon or Richmond.

First rounder and Salopek for first rounder and second rounder... or something.

Other than that I don't think we have anyone else that would get us a high pick.

First bold you forgot Matt Thomas.

Second bold I'm sure they'll go best available wherever they come from.

Third bold why would use a first round pick on a flanker this year?

i like matt thomas and hope he can develop into something more than what he is but he isnt a fight in the packs and win it kind of guy, he is a fight in the packs and tackle the guy, guy. like i said hopefully he can develop more, i think there is more there but who knows.

we have a history of taking vic country, but obviously will waive that if a guys talented he is talented. just pointing out our history.

the smedts comment is a reference to sheehan saying we were likely to pick him up, and our supporters frustration with the club often picking up flankers. i state ild rather us take a real mid.

Big, big wrap for this kid. Quick, tough, strong in the tackle and is already a 70-80 metre player.

He would have had about 15 kicks today in the 1st semi which, added up, would have covered 700 metres AND hit the target. His goal late in the game went through just under post height an he kicked it from about 51m.

I don't know whether it's just the shoulder strapping or his ability to fend off a tackler but he screams of Judd.

I reckon it's touch and go as to whether he'll be there at our first pick.

Wont get past Brisbane at 10. They're all over him. If we want him, we need to trade up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew krakour worth a go?

Best wafl game ever seen today 42 possies 5 goals and the winning goal with seconds to spare in the grand final it was the stuff dreams are made of

Won the sandover (waffles brown low)
And of course won the simpson medal which is afls norm smith

I saw a bit of the Norwood game yeasterday and their ruckman Brady Dawe impressed early - does anyone know much about him?

If you want a bit of information on a range of candidates by category (tall defender, medium forward, ruckman, etc), check out the NAB AFL Draft Combine site.

Well last year I crossed my fingers hardcore that Butcher would slip to us, and he did.

So I'm doing the same thing for Smith.

If we can't get him (or the other obvious choices) I really really hope we get Hallahan.

Has anyone seen Prestia live. He may be available at our pick 16 but is he worth it? His foot skills look ok and he seems to move ok in traffic but that is only going by short clips of his better work.

Would love to know what his weaknesses are (other than height).

North Board.

Caught the 2nd half of the SANFL game today and have seen a few other games Polec has played and he looks like Jared Brennan. Won't care too much if he is taken before our pick, I like Smith more.

I was initially Polec first then Smith, but the way Polec fell out of the game worried me and on a closer look, does he have the "Aaron Fioras" about him?

Flashy outside runner, Choco would love him.

I liked Smith's attitude and his willingness to get in after the hard ball - can hoof it a fair distance for a young kid too. But the 'experts' tip he'll be long gone by our pick. Of course the 'experts' tip a lot of things every year. ;)

Flashy outside runner, Choco would love him.

I liked Smith's attitude and his willingness to get in after the hard ball - can hoof it a fair distance for a young kid too. But the 'experts' tip he'll be long gone by our pick. Of course the 'experts' tip a lot of things every year. ;)

Sounds like Port need to tell him to act like a pratt at the interviews and draft camp poorly, even feign a knee injury :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back