Who is Concerned about Pratt?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem I see with calling something football related income and non football related income is that it is such a grey area. A footballer with a high profile can be expected to earn more money outside football because of his profile.

Footballers buy bars, cafes, etc and most are successful because of their profile. People want to buy things from their heros they want to be involved, interact with them.

I understand working on the footy show is directly related to football. If Shane Crawf, for instance, was offered a spot on the return of "Queer eye for the Straight Guy" because of his profile from football would that be football related? If the Government decided Alan Didak should be the new face of Centrelink, would that be football related?

IMHO there would be no way of truely policing, or defining football related and non football related income.

Who are the AFL to say Chris Judd would not be worth a million dollars a year to VISY to promote their green policies? And prove that he would not have that job if he wasnt a footballer. You, me and the AFL would assume that is the case, but legally anyone can employ anyone they want!

To begin with, why does getting out have anything to do with newspapers. Do you have to go out to read them these days :confused:

Secondly, I'll gladly accept your insult of being an idiot if you can produce one single quote from these articles you speak of where Dick Pratt confesses to being a cheat, liar or fraud. Until you can, you clearly have the title of idiot between us champ!

Now I don't want to accept your paraphrasing as being an accurate representation of the truth, as it appears as though your bias is attempting to distort what Pratt has actually said. So rather than just calling me an idiot and repeating yourself again, how about giving something with a little more substance; such as this..........................

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22539478-601,00.html?from=mostpop
Pleading guilty is an acknowledgement as far as I am aware regardless of whether or not he continuosly mutters "but only because I am pragmatic and its the sensible thing to do".
He cheated..whether or not it was Visy or the other mob who came up with it and he was only doing it to steal customers? ahh so the fact that if they werent colluding the price may have been lower than Visy's sneaky offers on their fellow cheats existing clients......and the constant repetition of he gives to charity, big whoopdedoo as he was still making more profits from cheating than he passed on. Dont give a crap as we dont take white collar crime seriously enough here in Australia anyway, but he cheated and an admission of guilt on his behalf is part of the deal hes organising....................:thumbsu:

Pleading guilty is an acknowledgement as far as I am aware regardless of whether or not he continuosly mutters "but only because I am pragmatic and its the sensible thing to do".
He cheated..whether or not it was Visy or the other mob who came up with it and he was only doing it to steal customers? ahh so the fact that if they werent colluding the price may have been lower than Visy's sneaky offers on their fellow cheats existing clients......and the constant repetition of he gives to charity, big whoopdedoo as he was still making more profits from cheating than he passed on. Dont give a crap as we dont take white collar crime seriously enough here in Australia anyway, but he cheated and an admission of guilt on his behalf is part of the deal hes organising....................:thumbsu:

Not once has he admitted to that. He has constantly repeated that in fact prices dropped during that time. As I said, show me one quote. ONE QUOTE where has said these things. You know you won't find it, and I know you won't find it, so all we're left with is each others words, which is fine. So just talk about you're take on it, don't go claiming that others have said these things if you can't show where they've said it.

I'm happy to read peoples opinions if you want to say "I think Pratt's a fraud, liar and a cheat", go knock yourself out. But it's when people start writing "Pratt's admitted he's a fraud, liar and a cheat" that I ask for something more substantial.

Not once has he admitted to that. He has constantly repeated that in fact prices dropped during that time. As I said, show me one quote. ONE QUOTE where has said these things. You know you won't find it, and I know you won't find it, so all we're left with is each others words, which is fine. So just talk about you're take on it, don't go claiming that others have said these things if you can't show where they've said it.

I'm happy to read peoples opinions if you want to say "I think Pratt's a fraud, liar and a cheat", go knock yourself out. But it's when people start writing "Pratt's admitted he's a fraud, liar and a cheat" that I ask for something more substantial.

He has pleaded guilty. By all measures that gives people a right to label him a liar and a cheat. He states that it was his directors that actually engaged in the price fixing dialogue but he has ultimate responsibility as head of VISY and has pleaded guilty to price fixing irrespective of whether he was aware of the actions of his directors. In the eyes of the law this is an admission of culpability regardless of how he attempts to qualify it.

Personally I think the more deplorable aspect of the whole affair is Pratt's inability to simply confess all. He keeps trying to qualify his guilty plea as the sensible business thing to do now that they've been caught and to attempt to shift blame to his directors.

The 40 million dollar fine is also laughable considering the potential profit made from the arrangement and Pratt's net wealth. It is no more than a slap on the wrists and is pathetic. We really don't take white collar crime seriously enough.

His Carlton contract will make him the highest played player in the history of the AFL. If we were only paying him $500,000 a season on the books and huge wads of cash through VISY I could see your point. The fact is we arent, he is on a monster contract and is paid at market value.

He has pleaded guilty. By all measures that gives people a right to label him a liar and a cheat. He states that it was his directors that actually engaged in the price fixing dialogue but he has ultimate responsibility as head of VISY and has pleaded guilty to price fixing irrespective of whether he was aware of the actions of his directors. In the eyes of the law this is an admission of culpability regardless of how he attempts to qualify it.

Sure, no problem with people expressing their opinions, if that's your judgement, you're entitled to it; but claiming someone else has admitted something, which is nothing other than your own opinion is a different story.

How does pleading guilty sound? Do you honestly think Pratt, and his gun lawyers would have considered pleading out if they werent sitting ducks. Amcor's Russell Jones was set to testify against Pratt had the matter gone to trial.

As for admitting liability - Pratt isn't about to stand in court and say anything more than he absolutely has to - there is a $700 million class action pending.

It is strange - simply because Pratt happens to be the President of your football club, he can do no wrong in your eyes, regardless of the clear facts.

Do you think that Pratt would be allowed to be president if this happened at the end of last year? I think there would be some serious doubt about it.

But who knows, I would like to see them get caught cheating the cap again, just once more for old times sake.

Do you think that Pratt would be allowed to be president if this happened at the end of last year? I think there would be some serious doubt about it.

But who knows, I would like to see them get caught cheating the cap again, just once more for old times sake.

After all these crap Carlton threads from Hawk fans, we are going to have great fun when the sh#t hits the fan at Hawthorn.

He wanted to go to the greatest club in the history of the afl.
That's true, but instead he decided on Carlton because he knew they could do the deal with West Coast easier than Collingwood could. He also said that he didn't want to go to a club that has already established themselves as a strong finals prospect. Carlton's quite possible dirty dealings were probably just the sealer to the deal.
Pratt is a self confessed liar, cheat and fraudster. Fits in perfectly at Carlton, they'll win a flag under him
You're half correct. The first sentence sounded right, but I think that you're off on your second sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for admitting liability - Pratt isn't about to stand in court and say anything more than he absolutely has to - there is a $700 million class action pending.

It is strange - simply because Pratt happens to be the President of your football club, he can do no wrong in your eyes, regardless of the clear facts.

Th class action against Pratt will be around $300 million, I gather Amcor are up for the other part of the '$700 million' you quote. Apparently the action won't be paid in cash but primarily future discounts to the customers Visy ripped off.

Maybe you should get your facts right before you start calling what you write as clear facts.;)

As a supporter of Carlton, once our new training facilities are built and the club's re-structure is working functionally, I'd much prefer Pratt as an ongoing benefactor to the club rather than the President.

Apparently the action won't be paid in cash but primarily future discounts to the customers Visy ripped off.
Do you have a source or a link for that? I did a search, but I can't find anything that says that a class action lawsuit will be paid in future discounts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is Concerned about Pratt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back