Who will be gone at the end of next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you insinuating Watson's disposal is good or has improved? :confused:

Surely not?!? Watson's disposal is below average and with a lack of speed (which is exposed when teams attack/rebound) all he has is clearances... which is extremely good. I for one can't agree that being a clearance king gives you a start up in any AFL side. His disposal better improve otherwise I would look to move him on. Whether he is one of our best midfielders or not should not matter if he is not going to get us to the next premiership which is generally won from your midfield.

Are you Serious!!!!!

He might not be the most accurate kick over long distances but he can still hit up a target from 20 - 30 metres away... He's got the best hand skills in our side and is a genuine ball winner... He constantly finds the ball and uses it much better than the majority of our team. Clearance King means something, not many teams have em'... The Hille and Watson combo is just mint! Its unstopable, game winning! game breaking!

I'm startled how you could say "If he can't improve, then lets move him on"

[Re-Quote:] ARE YOU SERIOUS!

One player who needs a solid year is Adam Mcphee, he had a shocker this year and with the emergence of our young crew he will have to prove his worth
i surely hope you're joking... considering he was forced to play CHF in his first year as a permanent forward, i would've thought he had a commendable season.

Because Winderlich has talent that is worth persevering with, and he isn't a shit bloke like Lovett or Hislop.

He busts his gut for the club and we aren't exactly blessed with top line midfielders aren't we?

Winderlich - top line? And you wonder why we have been down the bottom for so long and why others think we over-rate our players.

He is yet to establish himself as an AFL footballer - sorry but a dozen games where he was good does not constitute making it.

I agree he busts a gut - but would you rather a guy playing 10-30% of the time or one who can play season after season? He has a dodgy back and has not played anywhere near enough games for when he was drafted.

People are happy to cut the fat with Hislop due to attitude - fine. What is the difference with injury prone players?

Are you Serious!!!!!

He might not be the most accurate kick over long distances but he can still hit up a target from 20 - 30 metres away... He's got the best hand skills in our side and is a genuine ball winner... He constantly finds the ball and uses it much better than the majority of our team. Clearance King means something, not many teams have em'... The Hille and Watson combo is just mint! Its unstopable, game winning! game breaking!

I'm startled how you could say "If he can't improve, then lets move him on"

[Re-Quote:] ARE YOU SERIOUS!

Rose coloured glasses.

In trouble
Dempsey, Dyson, Hocking, Lovett-Murray, Magin, Nash, Winderlich, Williams

These guys without a good season in 09 will be looking over their shoulders come seasons end.
The number to be cut will be determined by trades and retirements, with Fletch, I think being the only realistic possibility of hanging up the boots.
Who knows, he may even go on another one into 2010.

Winderlich - top line? And you wonder why we have been down the bottom for so long and why others think we over-rate our players.

He is yet to establish himself as an AFL footballer - sorry but a dozen games where he was good does not constitute making it.

I agree he busts a gut - but would you rather a guy playing 10-30% of the time or one who can play season after season? He has a dodgy back and has not played anywhere near enough games for when he was drafted.

People are happy to cut the fat with Hislop due to attitude - fine. What is the difference with injury prone players?

I didn't mean to mix Winderlich with top line, I believe he has the potential to become a top line player.

Anyway, a dozen good games? Did you even watch his 2007 season?

Winderlich is one of the very few midfielders on our list who is prepared to run both ways, he has pace and good delivery.

I agree that we have to make a stand with perpetually injured players but he is the sort of player we need to persist with.

I hope like hell that he can have an injury free season next year he will make a lot of posters around here eat their words.

Retire: Fletch

Trade/Delist: Dyson, Hooker, Nash, Atkinson (or does he have 2 years?), Hocking, Lovett, NLM, Winderlich, Dempsey,Williams (Magin rookie)

Form says Dyson, Lovett, Williams, Hocking and Nash - but another bad year with injuries and Winderlich and Dempsey may go first.

Can't see Laycock going unless we trade for another ruckman. The rest are not gone - but are on the block and need to perform to ensure their survival.

the rest on the list are safe unless something drastic occurs.

How has Hockings form been bad ? He hardly played.
I would have thought that injury would more than likely spell the end and he was in the same boat as Winderlich or Dempsey.

love lucas as a player but feel if he begins to struggle at all then he will call it a day next season

no reason fletcher cant go on for another couple, seems to still enjoy his footy

the likes of dempsey, nash, even natrad, seriously doubt those type players will be going anywhere, despite their individual problems they all can rebound effectively

midfield types will be the ones under most pressure to perform, dyson, winders, lovett obviously, then add in laycock if he repeats 2008 form although didnt he sign until 2010?

really cant see anywhere like the number of changes happening end 2009 that we have just seen, just got to get them to gell on the park & she'll be right:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole thread is boody stupid anyway. Too many people taking a shot at cheap targets or players who have not played much.
Lovett would be the player under the most pressure followed by Dyson but the rest is just specualtion.
Who does or doesnt get injured will decide the some of the movement.
Hocking , Winderlich and Dempsey would want a reasonable run of games. If ether Hocking or Dempsey go down again for 10 to 12 week periods i could well spell the end of them. Winderlich has a bit of credit in the bank but he would want to be playing some footy in the last half of the year to survive.
Lucas may be the surprise. Another injury filled year for him could be the end of the road.
Neagle is another who simply has to string some games together at any level this year.
I could go on but you get the picture. Luck with injury will probably decide the fate or 3 or 4 spots on the list at the end of 2009.

How has Hockings form been bad ? He hardly played.
I would have thought that injury would more than likely spell the end and he was in the same boat as Winderlich or Dempsey.

Well yes - I guess my point is - he is competing for a spot on the list next year as his contract runs out and due to last season and injuries, he is starting behind the 8-ball.

love lucas as a player but feel if he begins to struggle at all then he will call it a day next season

Stupid thread..... How the hell can we 'guess' who will be delisted at the end of 2009? Depends on too much - injury, form and luck all have there part to play.

One thing though cant understand the amount of people having a pot shot at Lucus. The bloke has played 187 games out of 210 since the start of the 2000 season. He has one year where he cops a contact injury(no fault of his in poor preparation) misses 13 games and his own fans a writing him off! Peoples memories are short, do you remember how fit he looked in the 2008 NAB cup? He would have had a boomer year without colliding with the gorilla from North in RD 1.

Are you insinuating Watson's disposal is good or has improved? :confused:

Surely not?!? Watson's disposal is below average and with a lack of speed (which is exposed when teams attack/rebound) all he has is clearances... which is extremely good. I for one can't agree that being a clearance king gives you a start up in any AFL side. His disposal better improve otherwise I would look to move him on. Whether he is one of our best midfielders or not should not matter if he is not going to get us to the next premiership which is generally won from your midfield.

Jobe watsons disposal has improved out of sight. dont know which football side you are watching. Before you go get me some stat showing that he has some ineffective disposals, try to keep in mind that, when your on the bottom of a pack, in the busiest parts of the ground, with 20 people around you, on all fours, it can be quite difficult to hit a target.

Jobe Watson is a star. In the top echelon of players at the bombers. Jay Nash will join him, as long as time is instilled in him.

I hate how some essendon supporters tear to shreds some of our bright hopes. If you want to lay into Nash, keep in mind that he has had the courage to train, day in day out, work hard, put his body on the line for the Essendon Football club - which im guessing is 100% more than what you have done.

Jay nash can play football. Im just sick of people getting in to him when he is clearly an up and comer for us.

Same goes for Laycock. Cops heaps of crap. Same sort of Crap that Hille used to cop at the same age....... (see common thread)

Brent Stanton is another one. He is our best midfielder (mcviegh is a utility), still he cops it for not being good enough.

We at Essendon, have been spoiled for too long of talent. We were lucky that when we went through a transition phase in the early 90's that we had guns. Mercuri, Hird, Misiti, Fletcher etc all came through in 93, so we didnt have the losing streak. then we had a bad year 98, then young blokes like Llyod, lucas, moorcroft, Heffernan, blumfield, the Johnsons, all came through and we averted the dreaded long haul of defeats. This time is hasnt happened. We expect our kids to come in and change the world from Day dot. but look at Geelong. They have been powerbrokers for the last 2 years. They had a few years of work put into the abletts, bartels, kellys, coreys,lings, wojinkski's, Stevie J's before they were gun footballers.
Geelong supporters and football followers thought that at the end of round 4 last year that they were hacks. All they needed was time to gel and bode together and develop and look, they won a flag. Did it the hard way, but they did it. They werent gifted gun young players like Hawthorn this year (except for Selwood). They just needed time. The same time i think that all of us at the Bombers should be prepared to give Knighter, and his players i.e Nash, Laycock etc the same time....... Paitence is a virtue....

TT over and out.

Stupid thread..... How the hell can we 'guess' who will be delisted at the end of 2009? Depends on too much - injury, form and luck all have there part to play.

One thing though cant understand the amount of people having a pot shot at Lucus. The bloke has played 187 games out of 210 since the start of the 2000 season. He has one year where he cops a contact injury(no fault of his in poor preparation) misses 13 games and his own fans a writing him off! Peoples memories are short, do you remember how fit he looked in the 2008 NAB cup? He would have had a boomer year without colliding with the gorilla from North in RD 1.

Your response about Lucas was exactly the reason i started the thread. I wanted to see who the people rated and which stars get shot down rightly or wrongly (suspect wrongly)

It also can be something that we use to measure development of players on this year. I.e Dyson has a blinder and we all sit back and say, last year we all thought that he was going to be delisted.... etc.

Definitely

Dyson and Williams, Dyson has had his chances and done nothing, Williams has too many similar type players more developed.

Most Likely

Fletcher will most likely retire.

Maybe's

Depending on how many picks we want in next years draft and how active we are at trade week in order
Nash - too many similar players, bad disposal and no defensive side to his game
Lovett - If he has any more off field troubles definitely gone otherwise if he has a good year and stays out of trouble may get another 12months
NLM - No defensive side to his game and struggles to read the play, think that Myers and Pears may push him out of the side this year.

Thats 6 and that would be the most we get rid of

Winderlich may be traded or let go if cant get on the track but Dempsey will stay for at least 2 more years, like gumby.

Injuries could play a big role in who stays and who goes next year. Possible changes I reckon could be:
Fletch- if he choses to retire. I think he might have mentioned that next year could be it
Lucas - depending on how he holds up with injury
Hocking - needs to get on the park, last year of contract
Dyson
NLM
Winderlich - needs to get on the park. Has been injury-prone
Dempsey - injury-prone, needs to get on the park
Lovett

Rose coloured glasses.

After all that, all you can give me is a cliche...

Since when was saying something good about a player frowned upon?
Isn't the leagues best clearance king good enough for us now?
Is saying that "getting rid of him would just be absurd" thinking much too high of him, huh?

Are you ****ing SERIOUS!

I hate how some essendon supporters tear to shreds some of our bright hopes. If you want to lay into Nash, keep in mind that he has had the courage to train, day in day out, work hard, put his body on the line for the Essendon Football club - which im guessing is 100% more than what you have done.

I assure that if asked I would have the courage to "train, day in day out, work hard, put my body on the line for the Essendon Football club". And I'm pretty sure there are a few others on this board who would love to be AFL footballers. ;)

Lucas may be the surprise. Another injury filled year for him could be the end of the road.

I'm inclined to agree with this one but I don't want to :(

Just watching that clip of the highlights of us beating the doggies in the NAB cup reminded me how much I missed seeing Scotty in full flight this year. As great and as much as I love Lloydy, he hasn't had as much X-factor as scotty has in the past couple of years. Love watching Scotty play, kicking those snaps from 55 that are just plain rude but you don't care cause only he can get away with it. Plus, who else would have kicked those supergoals with the quick one-two handball after getting a mark paid.

If he gets over his injury and gets back to where he was at the start of this year I think he'll have a few more in him. If not I think you might be right

Injury and form will definitely decide the future of Winderlich, Hocking, Dempsey and Neagle.

Winderlich and Dempsey have definitely shown enough ability to be AFL players.

Hocking and Neagle have shown flashes of ability but need to spend more time on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be gone at the end of next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back