Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They won the GF at the GABBA or AO did they?

Remember when I said you must learn to become a better reader. That rings true here.
I disagree with you completely. You can’t just assume it can’t be done at the GABBA or AO because of past history. They were totally written off prior to the 18 GF. Sorry, but if they’re good enough they’ll win it anywhere. They’ve also got a pretty decent record at AO.

You’re just trying to make yourself feel better about the fact you might run into them. Geelong play pretty badly come finals don’t you think? Do you buy into the commentary that they can’t play at the MCG?

I am becoming less confident about Brisbane. They just aren’t playing very well at the moment. I think their forward line is their Achilles heel; except for Cameron they aren’t good at fighting dirty and scrapping, so if they come up against a defensive team they struggle to score.

I don’t know, maybe I am wrong. If Geelong can’t win it I would like to see them doing so. It is just hard to see them beating the likes of Richmond in a cut throat final.

Brisbane>maybe, because of the home final comfort.

Geelongs game plan is sound. As long as the opposition play along. If the game opens up, i think they can beaten by quick hand ball & kicking. But they are physically tough, which is a bonus.

At the moment, Richmond.

I might just be who has the fewest covid breaches:) .......or injuries.

With all the shit that has happened this year. Who is the mentally toughest, might be"the team".

Kane Cornes explained it best when he said the reason Port lost to Geelong was that they were keeping their powder dry, or in other words they lost on purpose so as to not give away their real game plan.
Any other team and he’d say ‘they got ahead of themselves’

I disagree with you completely. You can’t just assume it can’t be done at the GABBA or AO because of past history. They were totally written off prior to the 18 GF. Sorry, but if they’re good enough they’ll win it anywhere. They’ve also got a pretty decent record at AO.

You’re just trying to make yourself feel better about the fact you might run into them. Geelong play pretty badly come finals don’t you think? Do you buy into the commentary that they can’t play at the MCG?
You really didn't read my original post on this subject did you?

Oh well.

The thing against the Lions is that I don't think fate will look kindly upon Zorko as premiership skipper. Don't know why, just feel like the footy gods aren't particularly keen on that one. If he gets injured and can't rock up for the GF, then load up on the Andrews-led Lions (Zorko is often one of their better players, no knock on him at all). Reeks of 2004/2005/2016 stand-in skipper to me.

Tigers/Eagles is THE Grand Final we really need this year. Last years match was match of the year. Maybe not a neutral respect between supporters, but both clubs know they need to prove themselves against the other to truly be known as the defining team of this era.

The two best teams of the past 4 years. What a way to decide it, on neutral territory, Queensland.

We get the entree in two weeks

Surely we are down to 5 teams only? I've got in order

1. Tigers - playing well enough to still be the team to beat IMO.
2. West Coast - In form, but they should be when they play at home in front of their supporters. Would like to see them play as well away from home to be convinced yet.
3. Geelong - looking very solid. Well coached, hard to score against. Recent finals history suggests they will choke, but this is an indifferent season.
4. Port - Not convinced yet. Notoriously flaky. Could depend on whether or not they get home finals.
5. Brisbane - Outside chance but in the mix.

Collingwood look shot with injuries and form.
Saints and Dogs are dangerous teams outside of the top teams, but inconsistencies place them below the top teams IMO.
Dees. Need to see form against the better sides. Still a mile off the top teams.
GWS have the list, but look listless. A fit and firing Toby Greene is key, but based on recent games, they might not even make the 8.
Essendon look a mile off pace and with a tough draw to finish I just can't see them getting close to the 8.
Blues have been brave and are on the up, but again, too much to do and rely on to make it.

Tigers v West Coast is my guess at the GF.

Tigers/Eagles is THE Grand Final we really need this year. Last years match was match of the year. Maybe not a neutral respect between supporters, but both clubs know they need to prove themselves against the other to truly be known as the defining team of this era.

The two best teams of the past 4 years. What a way to decide it, on neutral territory, Queensland.

i think the Hawks are the "defining team of the era", what with their 3-peat.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers yes, but Eagles wouldn't be that. Out first round in 16, 2nd round in 17, grand final win in 18, 2nd round in 19. They have been great, but defining?

i think the Hawks are the "defining team of the era", what with their 3-peat.....
That poster was clearly referring to the 2017-20 era, and the sense that WCE-Richmond would have been a worthy decider in 2018-19. The last time the Hawks were a serious contender was 2016 (they finished 4th in 2018 H&A, but didn't seem a threat).

That poster was clearly referring to the 2017-20 era, and the sense that WCE-Richmond would have been a worthy decider in 2018-19. The last time the Hawks were a serious contender was 2016 (they finished 4th in 2018 H&A, but didn't seem a threat).
Thank you,

Absolutely spot on. Era is different to decade and certainly from 2015-2019 we've seen the Tigers and Eagles play in 4 Grand Finals with 3 premierships out of the 5.

2. West Coast - In form, but they should be when they play at home in front of their supporters. Would like to see them play as well away from home to be convinced yet.
3. Geelong - looking very solid. Well coached, hard to score against. Recent finals history suggests they will choke, but this is an indifferent season.
4. Port - Not convinced yet. Notoriously flaky. Could depend on whether or not they get home finals.

Saints and Dogs are dangerous teams outside of the top teams, but inconsistencies place them below the top teams IMO.
Dees. Need to see form against the better sides. Still a mile off the top teams.
GWS have the list, but look listless. A fit and firing Toby Greene is key, but based on recent games, they might not even make the 8.
Essendon look a mile off pace and with a tough draw to finish I just can't see them getting close to the 8.
Blues have been brave and are on the up, but again, too much to do and rely on to make it.

I would have the Cats as 2. I need to see how the Eagles go during the compressed away schedule after last time and with the mounting numbers of unavailable players. If Port get some home finals that would raise their prospects.

I hope you are right. I still think Rich and West Coast are the two best teams, with a gear that the other sides don't have.

My worry with Richmond is fitness though. I'm not sure it will easily click for guys like Prestia, Edwards, Houli, Astbury, Nankervis to come back in. They won't have much footy before finals and some of their injuries are a bit worse than first expected. Prestia is still not even running.

Don't know how Brisbane aren't run away favourites. They're hardly going to leave Queensland all season, if not now..when?
Yeah but you still have to be good enough.

West Coast will fix their record in QLD. Too good not to. There is no area of the ground where Brisbane would have an advantage over West Coast or Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Back