whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

In order

1. Gold Coast - Well derr. Defense aside they have the best young midfield by some distance and the best young forward line.
2. Collingwood - Best young defense by a scary amount. Nathan Brown would be every clubs best young KPP defender id say. Great young midfield with Thomas, Pendles, Wellingham etc, decent young forwards.
3. Melbourne - Great defense, decent forward line minus the true CHF, midfield lacks the class and polish it needs. Needs a finisher.
4. Richmond - Martin will win a Brownlow, Cotchin wont be far off one. Riewoldt the best young forward in the game. Tyrone Vickery aside they havnt bombed any recent draft picks.
5. North Melbourne - Rebuilded without truly bottoming out. Respect for getting what they have with the picks they got. Goldstein is the best young ruckman around ATM. Ziebell Bastinac Cunnington Wright Greenwood makes a good midfield too
6. Port Adelaide - Lack quantity but have the quality. Butcher, Trengrove, Chaplin make some great KPPs. Gray, Hitcock some good medium forwards. Harlett, Boak some good midfielders
7. Fremantle - GREAT young midfield but there KPP stocks are hilariously bad. Once Pav, Grover and co go they are doomed.
8. West Coast - Eagles have the athletes with no football brains. Naitanui, Masten, Ebert, Schofield, Swift are grade A athletes. Despite not showing much they are the only team with the correct mix of KPP, midfield, ruck. You can geniuenly make a list from the youngsters they have

Than we have

9. Carlton - Quantity but not quality
10. Adelaide - Quality but not quantity
11. Western Bulldogs - Quality is there but not in the areas they need it. ie. up forward, down back. Jordan Roughead is a key for them in the future.
12. Sydney - Not as bad as others think. A few bits of quality still around to mix with the oldies
13. Brisbane - No young bar from Redden. Rich is more of a winger. Good ruck duo but little in way of KPP apart from Cornelius
14. Essendon - Overrated skinny gits who cant run quickly. Maybe Hird will turn it around but they are a loooong way off
15. Geelong - About what youd expect from a team in there position.
16. Hawthorn - Traded it all away
17. St Kilda - Ditto Hawthorn

well said mate :) totally agree

Fremantle. They just need a younger player to really assert himself in the forward line, and suddenly it'll look very, very promising with the strength of their midfield and defense developing nicely.

Coledinho said:
13. Brisbane - No young bar from Redden. Rich is more of a winger. Good ruck duo but little in way of KPP apart from Cornelius

It really would just be easier to say you haven't seen much of Brisbane lately. A big problem we face is that most of our list is aging (Black, Power, Brown etc) or too young (Rich, Redden, Leuenberger), there's very little in the middle, especially with Brennan and Rischatelli going to the Gold Coast.

So for the "no young" part, I'd just like to point out that Rockliff and Banfield also earned Rising Star nominations. That gives us Rockliff, Banfield, Rich, Redden, Clark and Leuenberger as notable young players.

As for Rich being more of a winger, he spent the majority of the year as a heavily tagged inside mid. So that's just plain wrong, even if it was true it would not invalidate the fact that he is a good young player.

To be clear, I don't think we have the best young list (that would be Collingwood or Melbourne depending on if you're judging by demonstrated talent or potential talent), but we definitely aren't towards the bottom end.

This is the thing, standard sort of drafting sees every club basically end up with 2-3 good youngies from every draft (unless they either trade all their picks or completely muck them up).
It's the clubs who get a boom year (5+ good youngies: eg Reid/Brown/Dawes/Dick/Goldsack/Wellingham/MacAffer) or bust years (1 or 2 only: Billy Morrison/Brayden Shaw/Brent Hall/Heath Shaw) who define these things.

The question is who has the best 'young' list, not who has the best list, Geelong still has the best list in the AFL imo.

The best young list does not necessarily translate into success either ... potential is not always realized.

Um no they dont? Collingwood has the best young list and best list overall.

Didn't we finish 10 points clear of you, with a team younger than yours across the stretch?

considering we had the 3rd youngest team this season, behind tigers and wce.... i doubt it

LOL what is with the North Melbourne vendetta against the Dees? You guys are starting to look ****ing crazy and obsessive like a disgruntled ex girlfriend. Move on North no one cares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our average list age would probably be the youngest in the competition - all of our players during 2010 were under 31. It counts for little really, unless you are challenging for a flag and need the depth / experience.

The figure I gave is the average age of the 22 that ran out onto the park week by week. Although I think the figure refers to a date at a stagnant age - that is, the age of the player at the start of the season. Obviously, that doesn't effect the comparison.

Care to do the sums :( Would take forever...

considering we had the 3rd youngest team this season, behind tigers and wce.... i doubt it

LOL what is with the North Melbourne vendetta against the Dees? You guys are starting to look ****ing crazy and obsessive like a disgruntled ex girlfriend. Move on North no one cares.

From Footywire, I got Melbourne as approximately a month older, on average.

Carlton averaged 23 years and 8 months.
Demons averaged 23 years and 9 months.

really?? from some other site i got melbourne's list age as 22.8 (without Bruce and Jmac)

maybe it's wrong

Our average list age would probably be the youngest in the competition - all of our players during 2010 were under 31. It counts for little really, unless you are challenging for a flag and need the depth / experience.

The figure I gave is the average age of the 22 that ran out onto the park week by week. Although I think the figure refers to a date at a stagnant age - that is, the age of the player at the start of the season. Obviously, that doesn't effect the comparison.

This is starting to sound like Hawthorn supporters 2008/09....pissing contest

This is starting to sound like Hawthorn supporters 2008/09....pissing contest
Why? Hawthorn were the best in 2008...

Carlton are nowhere near Hawthorn structurally or performance wise.

I was just pointing out the misconception that North and Melbourne are younger than Carlton, when in fact they are both older across the games played this season.

WC have the 2nd best young KPP spine in the AFL, Essendon have the best IMO.

FB: MacKenzie
CHF: Brown
RUCK: Naitinui
CHF: Kennedy
FF: Darling

I think the backline is a bit sketchy, especially with Brown at CHB... Carlton have suffered heavily from having a 'shaky' defence, with Bower trying to hold down a key role. And whilst Essendon's is good if not great, their forward-line is rather unexciting. Gumbleton will be a star, is there another young option, or are we inferring Hurley will play forward?

WC have the 2nd best young KPP spine in the AFL, Essendon have the best IMO.

FB: MacKenzie
CHF: Brown
RUCK: Naitinui
CHF: Kennedy
FF: Darling

Collingwoods goes ok too

FB:N brown (21)
CHB:Reid(21)
Ruck:Ceglar(lol)
CHF:Cloke(still only 23)
FF: Dawes (22)

Collingwoods goes ok too

FB:N brown (21)
CHB:Reid(21)
Ruck:Ceglar(lol)
CHF:Cloke(still only 23)
FF: Dawes (22)

Brown looks the goods.

Cloke and Dawes provided only 17% of Collingwoods goals in 2010.

I think the Pies spine is just average.

This same Spencer? :D

[youtube]zqLYGNWcpBA[/youtube]

Yeah funny vid and all, I actually think Spencer will become a good player. Heavily criticized (like Jamar was) but he's showing good development.

I know it was only an exhibition match, but seeing him run through the middle of the ground then boot a goal from 55 metres out in our last quarter comeback showed he has talent. And from the reports of training on demonland, everyone has commented on how impressed they are with him.

By the way a better video would be the one where he dropped the ball when he was about to take a set shot. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

whos got the best young list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back