Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Richmond supporter I’ve seen years of failure prior to 2017. I know Richmond are shit right now and my club is in a position far worse than Essendon. I’m not trying to rub your noses in what now looks like another failure season for the Bombers. I thought you might be interested in an outsiders thoughts on why your club fails to deliver.

1 Your list is average and needs to have quality youth added. Hard to accept but you need to fallback and hit the draft before bringing in older high priced castoffs and high priced players. You have a mid table list that has not managed to get young stars that are the foundation of successful clubs.

2 Get rid of players who fail to deliver consistent levels of performance. Trade them out for draft picks.

Players like Stringer stink up your club. He takes all the adulation when he plays a good game and then hides when you lose and his performances are crap. He only seems to be fit at the start of seasons where he’s up for contract renewal.

3 you won’t like this but your team is seen as soft. To many players that fold when real pressure is applied. Bring in a few hard nuts to toughen up your list.
4 Leadership. Your captain is fantastic but just not enough support from others.

5 A club that gets ahead of its self , drinks its own bath water. Win a few games and you start talking finals and flags. You’re pumping up ordinary players and making them out to be better than they really are.

6 stop living in the past. Move on the failed administration and footy department. Your draft selections have been ordinary. DeDoro is woeful. Demand that senior admin moves on failed football department individuals.

7 last but not least. Essendon never seems to go the full journey when it comes to building its list. Just when you look like you’re on the improve, you lose patience and bring in ordinary players from elsewhere instead of adding to your quality youth via the draft and getting games into them.

It takes 5+ years to build a list likely to contend. Bombers seem to go 3 - 4 years then take shortcuts. Your list rebuilds are never completed.
Thanks Captain ****ing Obvious

This will be the 22nd year in a row that we have finished 7th or lower on the ladder.

22 years in a row.

To put that in perspective, there is a 33% chance of finishing 1st-6th, and a 66% chance of finishing 7th-18th

So, the 66% chance has come up 22 years in a row, assuming all clubs have an equal chance in a salary cap/draft competition.

The chance of this happening is 1 in 9,345

So, either we are incredibly unlucky, or there is something very, very wrong.
It’s actually really cool we could pull off something so rare and unlikely

I’m excited for what else we can achieve

This will be the 22nd year in a row that we have finished 7th or lower on the ladder.

22 years in a row.

To put that in perspective, there is a 33% chance of finishing 1st-6th, and a 66% chance of finishing 7th-18th

So, the 66% chance has come up 22 years in a row, assuming all clubs have an equal chance in a salary cap/draft competition.

The chance of this happening is 1 in 9,345

So, either we are incredibly unlucky, or there is something very, very wrong.
I'd say we're just unlucky

As a Richmond supporter I’ve seen years of failure prior to 2017. I know Richmond are shit right now and my club is in a position far worse than Essendon. I’m not trying to rub your noses in what now looks like another failure season for the Bombers. I thought you might be interested in an outsiders thoughts on why your club fails to deliver.

1 Your list is average and needs to have quality youth added. Hard to accept but you need to fallback and hit the draft before bringing in older high priced castoffs and high priced players. You have a mid table list that has not managed to get young stars that are the foundation of successful clubs.

2 Get rid of players who fail to deliver consistent levels of performance. Trade them out for draft picks.

Players like Stringer stink up your club. He takes all the adulation when he plays a good game and then hides when you lose and his performances are crap. He only seems to be fit at the start of seasons where he’s up for contract renewal.

3 you won’t like this but your team is seen as soft. To many players that fold when real pressure is applied. Bring in a few hard nuts to toughen up your list.
4 Leadership. Your captain is fantastic but just not enough support from others.

5 A club that gets ahead of its self , drinks its own bath water. Win a few games and you start talking finals and flags. You’re pumping up ordinary players and making them out to be better than they really are.

6 stop living in the past. Move on the failed administration and footy department. Your draft selections have been ordinary. DeDoro is woeful. Demand that senior admin moves on failed football department individuals.

7 last but not least. Essendon never seems to go the full journey when it comes to building its list. Just when you look like you’re on the improve, you lose patience and bring in ordinary players from elsewhere instead of adding to your quality youth via the draft and getting games into them.

It takes 5+ years to build a list likely to contend. Bombers seem to go 3 - 4 years then take shortcuts. Your list rebuilds are never completed.
1 . Yes we are average and lack top end quality .

2. Yes we should . I said we should have traded Parish two seasons ago.

3. 1000% right . Not enough hard edge .

4. Again right . Have been saying for years we lack leadership depth and we have had a latte club leadership group.

5. Yes our supporters do.

6. Most of the failed football department is gone. They should be kicking Dodoro out of the door but has basically been phased out . He is currently heading on extended leave with Matt Rosa now taking over the full duties . Dodoro has been doing contract negotiations this year on the players that the footy department have asked him to sign. He has had no impact on list selection. The football department has Scott (coach) McPherson (GM of football) at the top. Both in their second year. Vozzo as CEO in his second year. Rosa as list manager in his first year . RFK as head of recruiting has been around for a while and could be in the gun. Former Eagles head of recruiting Rohan O'Brien is now in the recruiting department as is Darren Farrugia who worked with Melbourne during their build. The football department has actually been cleaned out in the last 2 years.

7. Yes we do wet the bed and never stay the course.

I have been to every home game this year, here is my take -

I've been away from Bigfooty for a long time, but just needed to get a bunch of stuff off my chest. Apologies for this rant.

Effort. It all stems from effort.

We have about a third of the team who are passengers... maybe more.

When was the last time we truly pumped a side? I honestly can't remember. When was the last time our percentage was 110% halfway through a season? These things don't happen for Essendon because effort is conditional.

You see things in an Essendon game that you just don't see in other games and it stems from the fact that the club is just a bunch of individuals who occasionally link up, as opposed to a team. Nobody provides for each other, nobody works hard for anyone but themself. How many times do you see someone running from the backline looking to kick it out to the wing and there's literally an empty paddock? Nobody works to provide an option. Come to think of it, I don't think we would have exectued a successful switch in over 10 years. The players seems to think it's a nice tactic to grab some easy stats as opposed to a strategy designed to catch the other team short-handed.

You can see it in how other teams' clearance work is so superior to ours. An opposition team can clear the ball out from a pack with ease playing against us beause we're not working around the contest at all. Other teams will flick out a handball to a spare man, often have someone running past and we're still just standing around the contest waiting for the ball to dribble out. How often do you see an Essendon player running past a contest in order to receive a handball. The answer is practically never, because they know it's not coming. (Fremantle game was a bizarre anomaly)

Our backline has zero composure. Watch how many times someone will grab the ball and just handball it immediately to someone, anyone, no matter if they are under pressure or not. Redman and Ridley would be the exceptions, but this season you can see the Essendon effect taking hold on both of them as they become shadows of their prior form and potential.

I don't mind losing, but it's the way you lose. So often we'll get a nice break have all the momentum, then we let the other team back in. Why? Effort. They think the job's done, or someone else will take care of it, so they stop contesting. What I would do for a club culture like Sydney or Hawthorn. Those guys don't **** around. You either bring 100% every week or you're out. You watch a lot of our players off the ball and it's pathetic sometimes. They don't apply pressure, they're not accountable, they look stuffed a quarter into the game, they give the opposition players so much room, even when that player is the only option, they'll sit back and let the easy out happen.

Anyone notice how easy it is to run a ball out of our backline after a point? Players are allowed to run 25-30m, provide a no pressure ball to a tall target. They might mark it, or they'll definitely have someone to rove it. One disposal later it's deep into the opposition 50.

Players.
Ben McKay - wow... that do you say about this guy? Give me half, I'll show up on the weekend and do a better job. He's a one effort player, actually not even. Provides absolutely nothing once the ball hits the ground, provides nothing up the ground and is as soft as butter. This is the single biggest waste of money I think this club has ever invested in.

Archie Perkins - does anyone remember when he took that mark against Collingwood about 60m out, told everyone that he's got this, then went back and slotted it like it was actually foretold? Has anyone seen a bigger fall off a cliff at this club? I don't know what is going on in his personal life, but something major is happening. If not, then it is a massive indictment on this club.

Jake Kelly - the guy who sits in the backline, moves 15 metres from a team mate and demands the ball. Only to then lob a hospital ball down the line or provide a dodgy handball to a stationary player. He provides almost as much as Ben Mckay, except he's half the size.

Heppell - a great servant of the club, but the game passed him by about 3 years ago. I don't care how much of a clubman anyone is, there should be no free games. Another proponent of the find the easiest option method of disposal, whether it be putting someone under the pump or not to advantage.

Essendon supporters are angry. Scarves are being thrown away at the end of games, people are viscerally livid in the stands after a game. I have been a member since the 90s and have never seen anything like it. I think the reason is because we all know why this is happening; effort apepars to be conditional. Culturally, we are bereft of any fight, pride, resilience or identity. If you were an opposition team, you'd love to be playing us.

I just wish someone would acknowledge it.

There's tonnes more to say but this has really turned into a scattered mess.

I've unclicked my automatic renewal and am seriously considering not being a memeber for the first time since 93. It just isn't worth it anymore.

If it comes from another club then I don't want to hear anything about it. Now, back on topic. Why are we still shit?
Draft due to nepotism rather than ability.

A Richmond poster of all the clubs too.
Actually, they're probably the best club to advise us on our failures given they went through exactly the same thing and broke out of that to win 3 premierships in 4 years.

I recognise the similarities between the two clubs because my brother is a Richmond supporter and I followed the more closely than other sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for why we're shit, I can pinpoint the issue. We feel more like a workplace rather than a football club. There's no real passion in the club anymore from the top down. No identity. It looks like we're watching a bunch of colleagues playing rather than a bunch of mates the way Hawthorn and Collingwood play. We feel more like a corporation than a football club.

There's no way a passionate club drops yesterday's game.
There's no way a passionate club allows the coach who called us a pack of spuds last year and quit his club straight after to beat us twice in close games at another club the year after.
There's no way a passionate club allows their rivals to beat them in every metric conceivable time and time again.
There's no way a passionate club allows a repeat of lasts year's second half slide.

For all of their faults, I could at least see the passion in the club when Hird and Watson were leading the club. I could see a little bit of the old Essendon that demanded success. Though that was ultimately his downfall along with being inexperienced, at least there was something that we could hang our heads on.

That has completely been destroyed, probably by the supplement saga that turned the club from players achieving success for the club to the club achieving success for players. The players used to service the club to service the fans and now it's the fans servicing the club to service the players.

Looking at Carlton, they also suffer from the same issue post-salary cap scandal. Look at how they meekly surrendered a top 8 spot. Both clubs have no passion, no desire to do the work to win, no passion to sacrifice for a premiership.

Both clubs have become nothing but a marketing department for fans to continuously spend their money on.

As for why we're shit, I can pinpoint the issue. We feel more like a workplace rather than a football club. There's no real passion in the club anymore from the top down. No identity. It looks like we're watching a bunch of colleagues playing rather than a bunch of mates the way Hawthorn and Collingwood play. We feel more like a corporation than a football club.

There's no way a passionate club allows the coach who called us a pack of spuds last year and quit his club straight after to beat us twice in close games at another club the year after.
There's no way a passionate club allows their rivals to beat them in every metric conceivable time and time again.
There's no way a passionate club allows a repeat of lasts year's second half slide.

For all of their faults, I could at least see the passion in the club when Hird and Watson were leading the club. I could see a little bit of the old Essendon that demanded success. Though that was ultimately his downfall along with being inexperienced, at least there was something that we could hang our heads on.

That has completely been destroyed, probably by the supplement saga that turned the club from players achieving success for the club to the club achieving success for players. The players used to service the club to service the fans and now it's the fans servicing the club to service the players.

Looking at Carlton, they also suffer from the same issue post-salary cap scandal. Look at how they meekly surrendered a top 8 spot. Both clubs have no passion, no desire to do the work to win, no passion to sacrifice for a premiership.

Both clubs have become nothing but a marketing department for fans to continuously spend their money on.
Amen!

Actually, they're probably the best club to advise us on our failures given they went through exactly the same thing and broke out of that to win 3 premierships in 4 years.

I recognise the similarities between the two clubs because my brother is a Richmond supporter and I followed the more closely than other sides.
I was more referring to the monumental meltdown Richmond posters have when you dare read their board let alone post on it.

A bit random but was doing the Sunday Aldi shop earlier and overheard 2 dudes talking Essendon. Both supporters, so as scooted passed them I chirped in we the old “ I feel ya pain fellas”. One of them just started chatting and for I bloke I’d never met before we had similar feelings.
1. It’s painful supporting Essendon
2. It feels like this mediocrity will never end.
3. Why are people like Sheedy still around the club.( given the legacy obviously he deserves to be around at functions etc but tell me what exactly he would be contributing at board level?)
4. Dodoro…just laughable he still gets to wear the club merch.
5. Carlton getting pantsed was nice but on the flip side hawthorn are flying😒.
I watch us at games or on the tv at home and wonder if most of us feel the same. My Aldi visit at least gave me the comfort that there are many supporters who are mentally cooked supporting the Dons. Stick a fork in me. I’m done

I remember the history of EFC was a huge think for Rutten when he was here. A reason why they should bleed for the jumper.

Ive just gone and done what I assume the CEO did upon arrival....asked ai how to fix Essendon

Fixing the Essendon Football Club, which has faced challenges both on and off the field, would require a multifaceted approach. Here are some key strategies:

1. Strong Leadership: The club needs a clear vision and strong leadership at the board and executive levels. This includes a stable and supportive environment for the coaching staff and players.

2. Experienced Coaching Staff: Hiring an experienced and tactically astute coaching team is crucial. The coaching staff must be capable of developing young talent while also getting the best out of the senior players.

3. Player Development: A strong focus on player development is essential. This involves investing in a robust junior development program and providing players with the resources and support they need to reach their potential, including mental health and wellbeing.

4. Culture and Values: Building a positive and inclusive culture within the club is key. This involves creating an environment where players and staff feel valued, supported, and motivated to succeed. The club should also be clear about its values and ensure they are reflected in every aspect of its operations.

5. Recruitment Strategy: Implement a smart recruitment strategy that balances acquiring established stars with developing homegrown talent. Targeting players who fit the club’s culture and playing style is crucial.

6. Injury Management: A strong focus on injury prevention and management is vital. Ensuring that the medical and fitness teams are top-notch can reduce the impact of injuries on the team’s performance.

7. Fan Engagement: Engaging with the fan base and building a strong community around the club can help restore faith and enthusiasm among supporters. Transparent communication and regular updates can help in building trust.

8. Financial Stability: Ensuring the club is financially stable is important for long-term success. This might involve diversifying revenue streams, controlling expenses, and ensuring that the club is well-managed financially.

9. Game Plan and Identity: Establishing a clear and effective game plan that plays to the team’s strengths is important. The team needs to develop an identity on the field that reflects the club’s values and ambitions.

10. Patience and Persistence: Turnarounds take time, so patience from all stakeholders, including the board, fans, and sponsors, is important. Consistency in applying these strategies will be key to long-term success.

By focusing on these areas, Essendon can work towards becoming a competitive and successful football club once again.

10 point plan ay, sounds easy sign us up...wait, we need patience and persistence? Yeh nah, think ai is broken

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back