Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

If at the start of last season someone said it's going to take us 4-5 years (eg 2026/2027) to be regular top 4 team that can stand up in finals, few would have disagreed.

If that's the case - what was this year meant to look like? Did anyone really expect it to be different to what it has been?

We have a culture and list that needs to evolve. New (non-EFC) people off field.

Will it work? Maybe. But it's way too early to say definitively that it won't, especially when to me, this is exactly what year two of a successful 5 year build would look like.

We lack belief, we have some holes in personnel but we have been very competitive in most games except for a couple of major bed wetting moments.

I have no interest in tearing it all down. Just get on board. If we are still dead mediocre at the end of next year we are starting to have a problem.

Improve the team defence. Improve the number of contests you expose your defenders to .
And limit turnovers.

How many times do we turn the ball over going forward only to have it rebounded at warp speed into a defensive structure that was in offence mode a second ago. No team in the comp could defend that.

Our forward line and entry into is why our backs are under so much pressure.

I don’t know why but this is my post of the year. I can’t stop laughing… crying

You think that's bad. We finished below Geelong on the ladder for 19 straight years from 2004-2022 inclusive. The chances of this are 1 in 524,288.

We have had a lower percentage than Geelong for 21 consecutive years. The chances, theoretically of having a higher (or lower) percentage than any other team is 50% in any given year. So, to have a lower percentage than Geelong for 21 years in a row has a probability of:

1 in 2,097,152

It's unbelievable when you think about it.

Last edited:
You think that bad. We finished below Geelong on the ladder for 19 straight years from 2004-2002 inclusive. The chances of this are 1 in 524,288.

We have had a lower percentage than Geelong for 21 consecutive years. The chances, theoretically of having a higher (or lower) percentage than any other team is 50% in any given year. So, to have a lower percentage than Geelong for 21 years in a row has a probability of:

1 in 2,097,152

It's unbelievable when you think about it.
Lmao

Kind of agree…

The Club has struggled in recent years, on and off the field.

Off the Field:
  • The club has faced challenges due to the AFL's equalization policies, making it harder to solve problems with financial power alone.
  • The 20-year finals drought is attributed to bad luck, the fallout from the drug saga, injuries, and other external factors.
  • The lingering resentment from the drug saga between the club and the AFL is highlighted as a persistent issue.
  • The club’s draft strategy, focused on tall players (key positions), is questioned, especially the balance between building a spine and selecting the best available talent.
  • The team's fluctuating performance has led to confusion about whether to rebuild or top up, resulting in inconsistent team management.

On the Field:
  • Essendon's current struggles are linked to poor ball movement from the defensive 50, with several defenders being identified as average kicks.
  • The team's game plan is heavily reliant on stoppages and a high press but lacks efficient ball movement and scoring pressure.
  • Despite some improvement under coach Brad Scott, there are concerns that the team is not maximizing its potential.

Overall:
- Essendon needs to decide on a clear direction, potentially rebuilding with younger players, and suggests that Scott is the right coach to lead the club to future success.

So you ask ChattieG to summarise @FootyGuru’s post and then post it back to him for likes.. :cautiousv1:

A good example of why we are shit is;-

We give a farewell game to Sam Weideman - a nobody payer who has done nothing at the club (or any other) and who hasn't played since August last year over our ex-captain Dyson Heppell, who has bled for the club through 252 games, tried his best to guide the club through the BS saga, and is a genuine good guy of the AFL...
Go figure...real head scratcher that one I've been a fan of Scott but am now starting to have my doubts given this and other baffling selection (or non selections) throughout the year..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We give a farewell game to Sam Weideman - a nobody payer who has done nothing at the club (or any other) and who hasn't played since August last year over our ex-captain Dyson Heppell, who has bled for the club through 252 games, tried his best to guide the club through the BS saga, and is a genuine good guy of the AFL...
Go figure...real head scratcher that one I've been a fan of Scott but am now starting to have my doubts given this and other baffling selection (or non selections) throughout the year..
I'm off Scott. Weideman selection over heppel blows my mind.

Fully lost the plot.

It's not a farewell game. It's two games to see if he has any value as a KPD for us or failing that, another club so we can possibly get some trade value for him.

He's been taking and beating the #1 key forward in the VFL for months now. He should have replaced Laverde weeks ago. Maybe you should read what people who've actually watched him this year have to say about him.

It's not a farewell game for Weideman. It is a trial (which is a problem in itself)

The major concern for this week is that it was such an obvious double swap to bring in Hayes and Weideman for Laverde and Cox this week.

Aside from the new players and the players traded in who has really improved? Caldwell and Durham are the obvious ones. Maybe Jones, Shiel and Bryan. I can’t think of too many others.

Aside from the new players and the players traded in who has really improved? Caldwell and Durham are the obvious ones. Maybe Jones, Shiel and Bryan. I can’t think of too many others.
100% agree - was just having this exact conversation and same names 30 mins ago with my neighbour who’s also a Bombers’ fan ….. in Shanghai!

There is clear burnout across the playing group. They look mentally exhausted and overwhelmed. Cracking the whip harder won't work. They need to find more enjoyment and connect better as a club and playing group.

Thought Rutten did a reasonable job of this, as he tried to instill the Windy Hill soul into Tullamarine. He just couldn't communicate a gameplan nor demand the respect of the playing group (as a coach, rather than another one of the guys) which was his undoing. Scott might have the opposite problem.

Hawthorn a good example. Clearly from their socials there is a lot of vibing going on down there and now they're coming home with a wet sail. Barham and Vozzo have a job to do here.

Footy players are no different to anyone of us. If you enjoy your job, you'll better at it and will source more energy from it.

I just love the fact that no matter what, Sheeds will only go out the way he wants. If I can get my olives to the saltiness of some of you guys I'll be a very rich man

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back