Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Usual badly written nonsense from one of the biggest parasites in the game. There's a lot wrong with the club/team, but to my untrained eye, it looked like we improved fitness wise this year. Still a way to go, but you have to start somewhere.

Usual badly written nonsense from one of the biggest parasites in the game. There's a lot wrong with the club/team, but to my untrained eye, it looked like we improved fitness wise this year. Still a way to go, but you have to start somewhere.
It's Barratt, it's never going to be a profound piece of literature, but the players doing what's expected of professional athletes shouldn't need to be advertised. I agree with him, you're paid very well to do your job, just get on with it and do it properly.

I think every player on our list should read this from ol' mate Damo, understand who's actually saying it, and be suitably embarrassed. They need to wake up to themselves and grow a collective spine.

View attachment 2088292
I agree, this would be the case for an ambitious club that cares about reputation and premierships. But for Essendon it’s about playing a bit of footy, garnering the longest term contract possible, playing 2-3 out-of-the-box games a year, doing a bit of PR and finally being rewarded for all that hard work and unnecessarily long season with a ‘look out - here come the rock star footy legends!’ end of season trip somewhere

I don't care about the guys posting on social media when on the trip, too much was made of the numbers for the trip growing after Scott said his piece at the B&F. It shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to something someone said, it shows that many don't know what it takes to be a professional, and I think it shows the club doesn't know (or hasn't historically) either.

Things may have started to turn in a small way but until we see consistent results across multiple seasons, hell I'd take 1 season for starters, I'll continue to question (most of) the players and the club.

Just wait until someone like McGrath or Langford tell us that this season will burn in the gut over summer and they'll be ready to go in the new year.

Half our players don't actually care, and a lot of these guys play week in week out.
That's where the club doesn't know what it takes either. We either draft/trade in the wrong type or we don't have the standards within the club (or both.... likely both).

I don't care about the guys posting on social media when on the trip, too much was made of the numbers for the trip growing after Scott said his piece at the B&F. It shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to something someone said, it shows that many don't know what it takes to be a professional, and I think it shows the club doesn't know (or hasn't historically) either.

Things may have started to turn in a small way but until we see consistent results across multiple seasons, hell I'd take 1 season for starters, I'll continue to question (most of) the players and the club.
I don't really understand the criticism. So they shouldn't have gone? Or they should have gone but they shouldn't have posted about it? Or they should have gone and it's fine that they posted about it but either way I'll bag everything they do until they demonstrate multiple years of consistent results?

We all question the professionalism of the players and the club as a whole, but why criticise steps they're actually making to turn that tide?

That's where the club doesn't know what it takes either. We either draft/trade in the wrong type or we don't have the standards within the club (or both.... likely both).

It's a little wild to me that Scott can't identify the guys who aren't all in, I mean he played for one of the most ruthless sides under the most ruthless captains the game has seen, he has to see it? Surely he's seen some signs over the 2 years in some players, might not be the same players I think show weakness, but if he sees it they should be gone. If we see a boring list change period with minimal changes I'd be a little sad.

If he was happy to treat a kid like Mass the way he did then he should feel comfortable doing it to a senior player.

I don't really understand the criticism. So they shouldn't have gone? Or they should have gone but they shouldn't have posted about it? Or they should have gone and it's fine that they posted about it but either way I'll bag everything they do until they demonstrate multiple years of consistent results?

We all question the professionalism of the players and the club as a whole, but why criticise steps they're actually making to turn that tide?
From the seat of a pleb in the outer the only real difference seems to be they went on a trip, remove that trip and all else looks the same. Sure, a few players have come on which happens every year, and a few have regressed which also happens every year. We win trade week then see the same output, hear the same rhetoric, other than going on a trip not a lot has changed.

Everyone just needs to do better. I'm not sure we're capable of it, whether it's the ceiling of the players, whether it's the standards the club holds, whether it's the ability to educate players to achieve standards if they are in fact set at the required level etc. **** knows what it'll take to turn it around.

It's a little wild to me that Scott can't identify the guys who aren't all in, I mean he played for one of the most ruthless sides under the most ruthless captains the game has seen, he has to see it? Surely he's seen some signs over the 2 years in some players, might not be the same players I think show weakness, but if he sees it they should be gone. If we see a boring list change period with minimal changes I'd be a little sad.

If he was happy to treat a kid like Mass the way he did then he should feel comfortable doing it to a senior player.

Unfortunately at Essendon treating a senior player like he did mass gets you fired.

Have to play the game to stay employed somewhat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait until someone like McGrath or Langford tell us that this season will burn in the gut over summer and they'll be ready to go in the new year.

Half our players don't actually care, and a lot of these guys play week in week out.
Yeah, having to read them talk about the pain of missing finals etc. and then seeing the conditional effort they put in has become too much.

I don't even buy that they don't know any better anymore, either.

Merrett gives 100%
Durham gives 100%
Caldwell gives probably 90% (is prone to ball watching occasionally)

The others just clearly find it too hard. **** them. Go get some guys from state leagues that are working full time jobs and still give 100% as players, for a fraction of the income.

Take the losses for a few years while the effort standard lifts and start bringing in young guys to supplement with talent.

Anyone not in that list above is a fraud and should be shipped out.

It's Barratt, it's never going to be a profound piece of literature, but the players doing what's expected of professional athletes shouldn't need to be advertised. I agree with him, you're paid very well to do your job, just get on with it and do it properly.

Not sure if you've met young people, but posting on social media is kind of their 'thing'. Getting in to them about it is a bit weird, given the entire league does it. DeGoey made a whole song and dance about it the other year.

Their issue is almost certainly not physical fitness related.

Not sure if you've met young people, but posting on social media is kind of their 'thing'. Getting in to them about it is a bit weird, given the entire league does it. DeGoey made a whole song and dance about it the other year.

Their issue is almost certainly not physical fitness related.
I hope you're wrong.

Cos, Damo...

Interesting that port fans booed their team and coach a few months ago and they responded by going basically undefeated since - then we did the same and the team either didn’t give an S or just went even further into their shells as a result….i guess port’s history and prestige and demand for success is greater than ours…

Interesting that port fans booed their team and coach a few months ago and they responded by going basically undefeated since - then we did the same and the team either didn’t give an S or just went even further into their shells as a result….i guess port’s history and prestige and demand for success is greater than ours…

Not sure history or ‘demand for success’ means all that much for whether the football club is actually well run. Otherwise we wouldn’t be where we are.

How is coming out and overrunning Freo "not giving a s"? Everyone, and literally everyone, was claiming that the guys were completely checked out after the Saints loss. They were all wrong. None of those people (about 90%) have come out and said they were wrong.

Or the fact that when compared to last year there were numerous moments when games looked like they were about to blow out and the boys knuckled down to either make it close or grind out a comeback win?

We need to get better no doubt and development needs to happen but to make it about not caring at all is hyperbole that was outdated weeks ago.

How is coming out and overrunning Freo "not giving a s"? Everyone, and literally everyone, was claiming that the guys were completely checked out after the Saints loss. They were all wrong. None of those people (about 90%) have come out and said they were wrong.

Or the fact that when compared to last year there were numerous moments when games looked like they were about to blow out and the boys knuckled down to either make it close or grind out a comeback win?

We need to get better no doubt and development needs to happen but to make it about not caring at all is hyperbole that was outdated weeks ago.
Hopefully we release the DVD of that Freo win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back