Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

How is coming out and overrunning Freo "not giving a s"? Everyone, and literally everyone, was claiming that the guys were completely checked out after the Saints loss. They were all wrong. None of those people (about 90%) have come out and said they were wrong.

Or the fact that when compared to last year there were numerous moments when games looked like they were about to blow out and the boys knuckled down to either make it close or grind out a comeback win?

We need to get better no doubt and development needs to happen but to make it about not caring at all is hyperbole that was outdated weeks ago.

If them caring looks like it has in losing 5 games in the last 6 weeks, I shudder to think of watching them not care

Need to get the hypnotist in

Knowing us we'd get the wrong type of hypnotist, and whenever the players hear a siren they'd start pecking at the ground and acting like chickens. I suppose at least it'd be entertaining...

Maybe we already did?

‘You are a witches hat, you are a stationary training cone’

Maybe if the hypnotist was a Carlton supporter.

I still think it'd be funnier if they had a sense of humour though. Get the players to line up at half time and do something like the YMCA song. I'd pay to see that.

How is coming out and overrunning Freo "not giving a s"? Everyone, and literally everyone, was claiming that the guys were completely checked out after the Saints loss. They were all wrong. None of those people (about 90%) have come out and said they were wrong.

Or the fact that when compared to last year there were numerous moments when games looked like they were about to blow out and the boys knuckled down to either make it close or grind out a comeback win?

We need to get better no doubt and development needs to happen but to make it about not caring at all is hyperbole that was outdated weeks ago.
Dead cat bounce?

I'll admit the St Kilda game broke me so maybe saying they don't give a damn is a bit strong. But i do think most of them are just happy being AFL players. Flying in seat 1A, doing Podcasts and selling beer. Just wish they'd go to the Hawkes or **** Carlton and do that.

Some of the players took a step forward by going overseas for a two week training camp but that’s only one step in the right direction.
Rome wasn’t built in a day and if they thought 2 weeks of extra training was going to help them catch up to the rest of the competition they were wrong.

They looked alright early in the season but they are behind the 8 ball. One of the many reasons we drop off every year as the season goes on.
The camp was less about gaining fitness and more for the players to learn how to maximise the impact of the training they do. There was an article a few months back discussing the camp, you should dig it up and read it.

Most clubs already use these methods. We are only playing catch-up. When John Quinn was at the top of his game we used worlds best practices. Years of incompetent administration with no funding has left us way behind.
Everyone can put shit on Sheeds, but he was able to get the best out of everyone.
That includes Board,coaches and players.

The level of hyperbole on this board is unbelievable
Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This season has to be one of the worst failures of the last 20 years.

No major injuries or difficult fixture to justify the second half slide, not a particularly young team, probably the easiest fixture in the league with no interstate travel after round 12 (until the dead rubber against Brisbane) and double ups against one top 8 team (Sydney) and against 9th (likely 10th), 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th.

Only good wins were against GWS at home and Bulldogs, maybe Fremantle at home. Would've said Collingwood but they had major injuries. Biggest win was only 40 points against North before their resurgence and next biggest was 30 against West Coast at home. Even West Coast won by over 30 three times. Bottom 4 percentage yet stuck with pick 8 before F/S and academy without any A-grade talent from the younger players emerging. Still have Merrett as the only true A-grader. 2020 draft looks like a total bust and 2021/2022 threaten to be uninspiring too. MSD and SSP saved us somewhat.

What a waste of a season. The worst part is that I can't see where the improvement is going to come from. There has to be major repercussions at the end of the season starting at list management. Some senior players need to be traded. If we don't trade out senior players like Parish, then that's the answer to the thread title.

Last edited:
This season has to be one of the worst failures of the last 20 years.

No major injuries or difficult fixture to justify the second half slide, not a particularly young team, probably the easiest fixture in the league with no interstate travel after round 12 and double ups against one top 8 team (Sydney) and against 9th (likely 10th), 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th.

Only good wins were against GWS at home and Bulldogs, maybe Fremantle at home. Would've said Collingwood but they had major injuries. Biggest win was only 40 points against North before their resurgence and next biggest was 30 against West Coast at home. Even West Coast won by over 30 three times. Bottom 4 percentage yet stuck with pick 8 before F/S and academy without any A-grade talent from the younger players emerging. Still have Merrett as the only true A-grader. 2020 draft looks like a total bust and 2021/2022 threaten to be uninspiring too. MSD and SSP saved us somewhat.

What a waste of a season. The worst part is that I can't see where the improvement is going to come from. There has to be major repercussions at the end of the season starting at list management. Some senior players need to be traded. If we don't trade out senior players like Parish, then that's the answer to the thread title.
the reservation for me is the lack if improvement whilst being blessed with the injury list we have had this year.

Have we made inroads into the game plan? Percentage suggests not. Have we made inroads into the defence? If we leak 113 points, we will have given up same amount as last year. The fwd line is a shemozzle, we can all agree that. We are already up 14 points on our total points from last year. With the amount of ball we have going inside 50 (currently 4th on average) so another worry

Maybe this is all a blessing in disguise enabling us the opportunity this year to cull our list accordingly in order to build under a new drafting regime.

Weideman - KF
Guelfi - F
Setterfield = M
Kelly - D
Hind - Utility
Heppell - D
Baldwin - D

7 Spots is a solid changeover & then the possibility of a Shiel trade...
These are all fringe players. You need to give up something decent to get something decent back.
Just wait until someone like McGrath or Langford tell us that this season will burn in the gut over summer and they'll be ready to go in the new year.

Half our players don't actually care, and a lot of these guys play week in week out.
“We’re going to fight like our life depends on it” Scott/Caldwell leading into the 6-7 goal loss to an out-of-form Sydney at home.

Just wait until someone like McGrath or Langford tell us that this season will burn in the gut over summer and they'll be ready to go in the new year.

Half our players don't actually care, and a lot of these guys play week in week out.
Sometimes I feel like the supporters care a lot more than the players, for whom it is just a job and a pay check.

Maybe if the hypnotist was a Carlton supporter.

I still think it'd be funnier if they had a sense of humour though. Get the players to line up at half time and do something like the YMCA song. I'd pay to see that.
I was thinking they could form a giant conga line and dance around the boundary, but YMCA also works 👌
Sometimes I feel like the supporters care a lot more than the players, for whom it is just a job and a pay check.
Sometimes? 🤔

If we’d won two more of those super tight games then we’d be playing for 4th place tomorrow. Not only that, but we lost recent games through poor finishing rather than systemic or personnel issues. Would we have deserved to be there? Not really, we have been consistently competitive but have failed to dominate all season. **** it. All in all a good development season that realistically was never going past prelims. But no carry on sooking by all means

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Why are we s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back