Roast Why Derek?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive seen him play Ovens & Murray which is a proper tough standard of footy. He was only a kid then playing midfield against big bodies who weren't afraid to throw a good elbow. No danger of him shirking the contest at AFL as hes already faced alot scaried then what goes down in the modern game.

This theory that the Swans were going to delist him is nonsense. He was actualy offered a contract bit chose to seek a trade to the us to get more senior opportunities.

The price is abit higher then i predicted but it seems the club has done the sums to have picks to get players we want in the draft aswell as the points for the next Brown.

If the bloke plays every game next year will you all still be going feral?
I suspect most of us are happy to have Sam join us. The negative comments aren"t about him, there about how poorly we've used our picks. He could end up being a bargain for what we paid, but ultimately, we've taken a punt on a Cat B rookie, which has pushed us down the order in a strong draft.

Sydney are shewd operators, and would be giving high fives all round this afternoon. On form to date, we definitely overpaid, but he's ours now, let's hope it works out well.

Ive seen him play Ovens & Murray which is a proper tough standard of footy. He was only a kid then playing midfield against big bodies who weren't afraid to throw a good elbow. No danger of him shirking the contest at AFL as hes already faced alot scaried then what goes down in the modern game.

This theory that the Swans were going to delist him is nonsense. He was actualy offered a contract bit chose to seek a trade to the us to get more senior opportunities.

The price is abit higher then i predicted but it seems the club has done the sums to have picks to get players we want in the draft aswell as the points for the next Brown.

The people on here are like parrots that can read.

Mate, I think everyone here hopes he kills it next year and most would be extremely encouraged by his highlight reel.

We desperately need a line breaker.

We're only feral on the process.
While other clubs pick up established players very cheap, we seem to have to pay a premium to get a player in that we want.

2 first rounders for Treloar (yes with a 2nd back)
2 second rounders for Aish
4 year deal for Mayne

Just for once I'd like something to be slightly in our favour.

We seem to over pay and under charge more often than not.
Hard to see what we do well these days.
I guess that's why we are where we are.
We've been poor drafters since Hine got promoted out of talent picking and poor list managers generally since he took that role. Not surprisingly our list has been going backwards.

Last edited:

Mate I'm not having a go at the kid, I'm having a go at the list (mis)management. Paying a second rounder for any rookie is just way overs. Especially if he did knock back their contract because we could have got out of it swapping a fourth round pick for pick 1 in the PSD among other options. It's just another in a long line of poor decisions

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, we gave them the equivalent of Pick 28 in next year’s draft. That is based on us finishing 9th next year. Personally, I think with some luck, we play finals.
Draft points on that are 677.

We got back pick 70 this year which amounts to 39 points and their 3rd rounder next year which will be around pick 48 if they finish 6th. That pick is worth 302 points.

Meaning 336 is the difference, which would be around pick 46-48.

Considering we have identified the kid and gone after him, he has had 2 years in the system of an incredibly consistent AFL club, got offered a senior contract, and got him for pick 48.

Seriously, overreaction guys. Come on!!!!

Okay, we gave them the equivalent of Pick 28 in next year’s draft. That is based on us finishing 9th next year. Personally, I think with some luck, we play finals.
Draft points on that are 677.

We got back pick 70 this year which amounts to 39 points and their 3rd rounder next year which will be around pick 48 if they finish 6th. That pick is worth 302 points.

Meaning 336 is the difference, which would be around pick 46-48.

Considering we have identified the kid and gone after him, he has had 2 years in the system of an incredibly consistent AFL club, got offered a senior contract, and got him for pick 48.

Seriously, overreaction guys. Come on!!!!

Swans aren’t finishing 6th. They’ll be playing in a prelim.

Straight swap for 54 this year is why we should’ve given at the most.

2015 AFL Draft

Pick 28 - Luke Partington WCE

Pick 29 - Alex Morgan Essendon

Pick 30 - Mason Redman Essendon

Pick 58 - Tom Phillips Collingwood

Which of those 4 would you take?

2016 AFL Draft

Pick 28 - Patrick Lipinski WB

Pick 50 - Kayle Kirby Collingwood

Pick 53 - Jack Graham Richmond

Which of those three would you take?

Overreaction in true BigFooty fashion