Roast Why Derek?

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair to Hine, we must having been working with restricted resources eg salary cap, draft picks etc.
I am however looking forward to Ned coming on board. Will Ned be involved in the national draft?

Might a Bit but I think be More Hine and Co as they been Working on for Long Period Time.

This deal is diabolical, absolutely stinks to high heavens.

Even if this bloke is best 22, he'd have to be putting in an absolute shift to make him worth a pick in the 20s next year.

Port getting Watts for 31, a player who has proven he is (mostly) up to it at an AFL level with 150 games under his belt, and we give up a pick in the 20s in a stronger draft for a Cat B rookie who has never played a game?!

Has everyone at the club lost their goddamn mind? Between Mayne and this, you'd swear we were tanking trade weeks now. Someone tell Hine that losing trade week doesn't improve our ****ing draft position.

I was happy not to trade. Happy to stay away from Schache in particular, and happy to keep pick 6. I was also happy to bring in the Murray kid for a swap of picks in about the 6th /7th round. When I heard we gave up a 2018 2nd rounder, I felt sick in the guts. We have established AFL players like Gibson, Aaron Young etc traded for nothing picks. FFS Port picked up Jack Watts for what will end up being cheaper. I've just got home and haven't read any club based media yet, but how on earth they put a positive spin on this while keeping a straight face has got me well and truly stuffed.
Sums up my views perfectly.

That’s your opinion and admittedly mine, what if he ends up being a great player? The same people were complaining about Varcoe, Howe, WHE. I’m taking the approach that they know more than I do about footy talent and have done their due diligence... especially after the Mayne fiasco
So you admit that Mayne was a fiasco yet the football department knows more than we do. Also who's complaining about Varcoe, Howe and WHE? Have you forgotten White, Armstrong, Russell, Lynch and Young? That worked out well didn't it?

So you admit that Mayne was a fiasco yet the football department knows more than we do. Also who's complaining about Varcoe, Howe and WHE? Have you forgotten White, Armstrong, Russell, Lynch and Young? That worked out well didn't it?

While I think the football dept has cocked the last 2 years up badly, White, Armstrong, Russell, Lynch and Young were all long shots which we paid basically nothing for and took nothing out of our cap.

This trade and Mayne however...

You anti Hine people give me the shits . He has a good eye for talent and when left alone put together our last premiership playing list. Our free agency choices last year were not of Hines making and dont kid yourselves the Swans did not want to lose Murray.I do concede that list management and recruitment should be separated as the club has now done.Interesting to note that Hine and the new appointee get on well
,so, onwards and upwards I say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone here know whether:

Hine said to the coaches "you need Murray"?

The coaches said to Hine "get Murray for us"?

The FD was united in the view that the club needed Murray?

There has been a stuff up between non-communicating Depts? (prob unlikely)

Posters with definite views here have accurate inside knowledge of plans around Murray?

This thread is mainly rants from frustrated posters?

Something else I have missed?

While I think the football dept has cocked the last 2 years up badly, White, Armstrong, Russell, Lynch and Young were all long shots which we paid basically nothing for and took nothing out of our cap.

This trade and Mayne however...
Pretty sure Lynch helped us beat the blues in his first year when our first ruck went down and Elliot kicked 5 and we beat the blues from nowhere in the last. I will take that.

Pretty sure Russell played games and we lost because he was awful at afl level. We paid dearly for that.

Well this thread is typical. Here’s the second round from the last so-called “superdraft” in 2001:

Daniel Elstone
Matt Maguire
Mark Seaby
Charlie Gardiner
Steve Johnson
Steven Armstrong
Aaron Rogers
Tom Davidson
Mark Powell
Lewis Roberts-Thompson
Rod Crowe
Joel Reynolds
Campbell Brown
David Rodan
Simon O’Keefe
Jarrad Wright

Sure, some pretty handy players in this lot but also a fair few that didn’t make the grade. Like every other draft. It’s a crapshoot, like every draft in every sport ever. Maybe 2018 will be less of a crapshoot than previous years but like every draft, it’s gonna be another crapshoot. Murray clearly adds something the team needs but granted it’s true we don’t know whether that’s going to transfer to AFL level yet.

Sure on face value it looks like we overpaid. Like every trade though we won’t know the “winner” for a few years yet. Regardless, reading the angst from this thread you’d think we’d packaged up Moore and De Goey for him. On another note, I’m willing to bet the vast majority of posters complaining know next to nothing about the 2018 other than repeating “superdraft” over and over again. Patience people, relax.

I’m not happy but the club must have father/son players points in mind around that pick for next year. Who could that be? I was hoping we would trade into the second round this year. It has to be about points. More importantly, obviously no club had interest in our current list of fringe players.

On a side note, there is no way we could have traded like Essendon or Port Adelaide. We just get bent over every year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well this thread is typical. Here’s the second round from the last so-called “superdraft” in 2001:

Daniel Elstone
Matt Maguire
Mark Seaby
Charlie Gardiner
Steve Johnson
Steven Armstrong
Aaron Rogers
Tom Davidson
Mark Powell
Lewis Roberts-Thompson
Rod Crowe
Joel Reynolds
Campbell Brown
David Rodan
Simon O’Keefe
Jarrad Wright

Sure, some pretty handy players in this lot but also a fair few that didn’t make the grade. Like every other draft. It’s a crapshoot, like every draft in every sport ever. Maybe 2018 will be less of a crapshoot than previous years but like every draft, it’s gonna be another crapshoot. Murray clearly adds something the team needs but granted it’s true we don’t know whether that’s going to transfer to AFL level yet.

Sure on face value it looks like we overpaid. Like every trade though we won’t know the “winner” for a few years yet. Regardless, reading the angst from this thread you’d think we’d packaged up Moore and De Goey for him. On another note, I’m willing to bet the vast majority of posters complaining know next to nothing about the 2018 other than repeating “superdraft” over and over again. Patience people, relax.

This actually made me feel better haha.

Be gutted if we missed out on Packers superstar, Aaron Rogers though.

Ive seen him play Ovens & Murray which is a proper tough standard of footy. He was only a kid then playing midfield against big bodies who weren't afraid to throw a good elbow. No danger of him shirking the contest at AFL as hes already faced alot scaried then what goes down in the modern game.

This theory that the Swans were going to delist him is nonsense. He was actualy offered a contract bit chose to seek a trade to the us to get more senior opportunities.

The price is abit higher then i predicted but it seems the club has done the sums to have picks to get players we want in the draft aswell as the points for the next Brown.

If the bloke plays every game next year will you all still be going feral?

I prefer to focus on recent history as a better indicator of how we recruit. The latter all came for next to nothing.

Nobody is complaining now, but I guarantee they were when we traded them in. This site is full of whingers. Can’t really explain the Mayne situation, clearly something nqr occurred. Aside from that we have recruited pretty well of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Why Derek?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back