Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks genuinely very good. Reminds me a bit of Cripps.

Why hadnt I heard of him in the mocks?
Apparently he is a very late developer and a bit of a fatboy as a junior who just shot up very late on in the piece. He only played a couple of TAC games which is why no one has heard of him. He played for Marcelin and did pretty well in senior footy which makes up a little bit for the lack of TAC. After watching the highlights reel though it seem inexcusable that he didn't get more of a go. Even if his form was poor he just looks like an AFL player imo. Also I vaguely recall hearing that Carlton was interested which is probably why we were forced to take him with pick 30. I guess we thought it was worth the punt in what our recruiter has said a few times is a very bad draft.

Last edited:
Some rate Francis the best non Academy kid in the draft and also selecting the best non academy mid equals a win in our eyes.

Add in arguably the two best KPP's who weren't on AFL lists and we've done well IMHO.

Morgan, Redman, Eades will determine how well disco has done this draft.

when you have 2 top picks you need to nail them and I think the Bombers did that with Parish and Francis. I really love Oliver as a player but think it is a big gamble taking him over 2 players like Parish & Francis who are unlike anyone on the Demons list and both could be the best players to come out of this draft.

My biased opinion is that Brisbane had the best draft of any club
The best KPF in the draft (Schache), 2 of the best KPD'S (Skinner, Hipwood), and 2 absoloute midfield guns and dual u18 all Australians (Keays, Mathieson). Nailed it

Carlton's draft was also good, but I think many of their supporters will be disappointed with Curnow in the years yo come. A touch overrated in my opinion.
Essendon did very well with Parish & Francis, both will be guns in a couple years

My biased opinion is that Brisbane had the best draft of any club
The best KPF in the draft (Schache), 2 of the best KPD'S (Skinner, Hipwood), and 2 absoloute midfield guns and dual u18 all Australians (Keays, Mathieson). Nailed it

Carlton's draft was also good, but I think many of their supporters will be disappointed with Curnow in the years yo come. A touch overrated in my opinion.
Essendon did very well with Parish & Francis, both will be guns in a couple years

Hard to argue that Brisbane did not win the draft. Even with academy selections, they did exceptionally well

how could they go wrong through with the picks they had? i mean their academy players were bidded on for them... likewise GWS
Look at the most common post-draft "winners" every year and it's:
a) the teams with the most top 20 picks,
b) the teams with access to discount talent (father/sons, academies),
and on BF you can add:
c) the team that took guys that slid relative to BF expectations.

Probably should've named the winners predraft, except the lack of rating Melbourne's draft.

[QUOTE="Kreuuuzeurns, post: 42101843, member: 147820"

At this point the losers must be Richmond. Rioli at 15 is a complete stretch and xfactor small forwards can generally be found later in the draft. Two mature age recruits is also baffling.

[/QUOTE]

LOL

Sorry for quoting your post, as the level of dumb in this thread is truly amazing, this post though tops the cake.

Please tell me, which small forward, at our pick that was still available that is better then Rioli ?

Bottom line, outside of a Ruck, our main weakness is a defensive small forward, with pace that tackles and locks the ball in. Rioli not only does this, this kid is a tackling machine, he also impacts the score board. His upside is incredibly high. he is a natural footballer. Dangerous around goals but the main thing for me is that he has the endurance and ability to offer elite repeat efforts.

Plonk him forward with the mandate to chase and tackle to create a stoppage. That is a type of player we have been crying out for, we tried Morris and that was a disaster. Jake King did it, but my god, Rioli ceiling is a great deal higher then king. So to say we lost, when we addressed a major need, is just dumb lol

On Oleg, I will back our recruiters and Gary Buckenara instincts over most on here. Gary rated Oleg extremely highly, even said he was a smokey for a first round pick. Oleg is not just an athlete, he is a footballer, first and foremost. He had a shocking run with injury but showed the discipline to recover from two broken collar bones and get himself invited to the combine, which he showed his amazing physical traits.

With development, he may very well be a gem for us considering he can play multiple positions and has a serious engine as well as some serious pace. Our club clearly have gone for players who are elite in speed, endurance, but most importantly, repeat efforts. All three boys are in the top 10 this year in most of those categories. Makes a lot of sense with the sub being removed and rotations being capped.

Now we focus on a Ruck as a rookie

Very happy :)

Like most ppl I suspect, when Scott Clayton was appointed head at Gold Coast, I assumed he must be one of the best in the business.

But hearing bulldogs supporters and watching his record since at the gold coast, I think it's fair to question his judgement.

In fairness, Saad was a good pickup late & may still be too early to tell.

how could they go wrong through with the picks they had? i mean their academy players were bidded on for them... likewise GWS
pick 39 and 47 aren't exactly great picks. I think we have done exceptionally well to land Mathieson and Skinner with those later picks. Both were at one time in the past 12 months rated in the top 15-20 prospects.

Brisbane absolutely killed it. Carlton really couldn't bigger things up with 4 top 20 picks. Port did well.

Gold Coast fans would be a bit let down. Kinda like being a kid at Christmas and only getting clothes.

From my view on the dogs, don't like Dunkley but absolutely over the freaking moon with Collins. Thought we kissed the chance to get him goodbye when we traded 11 away. Adams is a solid get and williams was Dalrymple's annual who? pick.

Analogy made me chuckle but also made me realize how old I'm getting. I genuinely get excited by socks and underwear at Christmas now because it means I don't have to buy them myself. Good underwear is so damn expensive.

well they did need another key forward. i hope he stays a dee. they need him... but its not looking good for them

Why isn't it looking good he is contracted until the end of 2017 does that mean every interstate player that is contracted until the end of 2017 and who hasn't signed a extension yet is leaving. If by the start of the 2017 season Hogan hasn't signed and comes and says he is going to wait until the end of season that's when we will start to panic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn't it looking good he is contracted until the end of 2017 does that mean every interstate player that is contracted until the end of 2017 and who hasn't signed a extension yet is leaving. If by the start of the 2017 season Hogan hasn't signed and comes and says he is going to wait until the end of season that's when we will start to panic.

fair point. for some reason i thought he was out of contract at the end of 2016

pick 39 and 47 aren't exactly great picks. I think we have done exceptionally well to land Mathieson and Skinner with those later picks. Both were at one time in the past 12 months rated in the top 15-20 prospects.
I think everyone knows the issue with Brisbane isn't drafting talent. It is keeping it.

Apparently he is a very late developer and a bit of a fatboy as a junior who just shot up very late on in the piece. He only played a couple of TAC games which is why no one has heard of him. He played for Marcelin and did pretty well in senior footy which makes up a little bit for the lack of TAC. After watching the highlights reel though it seem inexcusable that he didn't get more of a go. Even if his form was poor he just looks like an AFL player imo. Also I vaguely recall hearing that Carlton was also interested which is probably why we were forced to take him with pick 30. I guess we thought it was worth the punt in what our recruiter has said a few teams is a very bad draft.

Apparently the Dogs were really liking him as well. Picked up the attention of a few clubs late in the year and I guess there was a chance of another club pouncing so we went early.

Weird, thats what my ex said about me...

Liked so your self deprecating efforts weren't left hanging as if you were being serious. #helpabrotherout

LOL

Sorry for quoting your post, as the level of dumb in this thread is truly amazing, this post though tops the cake.

Please tell me, which small forward, at our pick that was still available that is better then Rioli ?

Bottom line, outside of a Ruck, our main weakness is a defensive small forward, with pace that tackles and locks the ball in. Rioli not only does this, this kid is a tackling machine, he also impacts the score board. His upside is incredibly high. he is a natural footballer. Dangerous around goals but the main thing for me is that he has the endurance and ability to offer elite repeat efforts.

Plonk him forward with the mandate to chase and tackle to create a stoppage. That is a type of player we have been crying out for, we tried Morris and that was a disaster. Jake King did it, but my god, Rioli ceiling is a great deal higher then king. So to say we lost, when we addressed a major need, is just dumb lol

On Oleg, I will back our recruiters and Gary Buckenara instincts over most on here. Gary rated Oleg extremely highly, even said he was a smokey for a first round pick. Oleg is not just an athlete, he is a footballer, first and foremost. He had a shocking run with injury but showed the discipline to recover from two broken collar bones and get himself invited to the combine, which he showed his amazing physical traits.

With development, he may very well be a gem for us considering he can play multiple positions and has a serious engine as well as some serious pace. Our club clearly have gone for players who are elite in speed, endurance, but most importantly, repeat efforts. All three boys are in the top 10 this year in most of those categories. Makes a lot of sense with the sub being removed and rotations being capped.

Now we focus on a Ruck as a rookie

Very happy :)
Rapt to see Daniel get picked up as he's a great young bloke (and he should slot in quite nicely into the Tigers side in time) but I'd say he went a little earlier than expected which is why that selection may cop a little flack from some people.

Rapt to see Daniel get picked up as he's a great young bloke (and he should slot in quite nicely into the Tigers side in time) but I'd say he went a little earlier than expected which is why that selection may cop a little flack from some people.

Again and ill ask, who was the better small forward then Rioli we could have picked at 15 ? hawks would have taken him at 19 easily.

Again and ill ask, who was the better small forward then Rioli we could have picked at 15 ? hawks would have taken him at 19 easily.
You say that as if I knocked the Tiges for drafting him. o_O
That said, if we're to go down this path I'm not sure why comparisons need to be limited to small forwards as it's not as though Richmond were a small forward way from being premiers..

Winners - Carlton getting Curnow at 11. Nice slide. I like the spine they are building. Quality KPPs are hard to find and if say two out of the three make it, they have some serious talent going forward. Like their draft. Mids are far easier to find. Like their direction.

GWS - Cant really argue with what they got. Great selection of players. Obviously they had a helping hand but clear winners IMO as their players came relatively cheaply.

Losers- Gold Coast think they over paid for everything. However, they know the draft better than me so I will probably eat my words.

Adelaide - Stretched slightly on Milera but only slightly and was around the mark. Curnow would have been good there. Tom Doedee was a major stretch. Not even the most bullish of people would expect Doedee to go that high. They might see something they like but it seems a stretch. That being said, I don't think there was much around after that so they might have done okay considering. This kind of thing happens in shallow drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back