Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods, can we create a new folder? Called 'the game was so much better in the good old days' folder, and let the sad, whining, living in the past old sods go for their lives in there for the next century, without clogging up the main board with this utter drivel every five minutes?

Drivel would be the apt description of your post.

So by describing your post as you obviously love the game as it is today then that should be that! End of discussion? No other opinions are allowed? Why does it bother you that there are people who believe the game today is a poor cousin of the game they grew up following? Why do you believe they are not entitled to that view? And who the hell are you to decide they are actually wrong?
If you love the game thats awesome, I loved the game more 25 years ago. Why the heck is that an issue for you?

NHL lost me in 93-94 after the strike and I wash never really a fan anyway. They lost TV audience and fans. Now NHL is not covered by EPSN, and struggles to get mainstream coverage. They had just gotten some momentum going and had another strike last year. Millonares V billionaires of the highest order and they both screw the fans.

NBA and MLB have way too many games per season for each one to relevant and as such gets boring. College Basketball has no interest until the finals.

NFL is cleaning house. 17 weeks with a bye. Every game counts. Biggest sporting events for the seppos. NFL draft out rates prime time TV events.

AFL - changing their rules to follow NFL concussion lawsuits. Which is an understandable practice given the 780 million dollar settlement was rejected on the grounds it was not enough.
AFL is pushing the game internationally but not real that hard.

GO Catters

Drivel would be the apt description of your post.

So by describing your post as you obviously love the game as it is today then that should be that! End of discussion? No other opinions are allowed? Why does it bother you that there are people who believe the game today is a poor cousin of the game they grew up following? Why do you believe they are not entitled to that view? And who the hell are you to decide they are actually wrong?
If you love the game thats awesome, I loved the game more 25 years ago. Why the heck is that an issue for you?
Calm down mate, you'll give yourself a brain haemorrhage.

Read this: http://psylutions.tumblr.com/post/45871798172/are-you-getting-stuck-down-memory-lane

Mods, can we create a new folder? Called 'the game was so much better in the good old days' folder, and let the sad, whining, living in the past old sods go for their lives in there for the next century, without clogging up the main board with this utter drivel every five minutes?

Internet mods were so much better back in my day.

So what age is it when an opinion is no longer allowed in your world.
Maybe we can change the voting age to under 30's only?
You read to much rubbish like that article, we all evolve with the world. That still does not mean it is all better today does it?
Such ignorance. Mate, I'm 43. Lived through the so called 'golden era' of football, with my team dominating everyone, winning flag after flag. I love and respect the past, but I won't live in it. I'll just have to leave you there, it seems....

Such ignorance. Mate, I'm 43. Lived through the so called 'golden era' of football, with my team dominating everyone, winning flag after flag. I love and respect the past, but I won't live in it. I'll just have to leave you there, it seems....

Who is living in the past? The fact that I liked the game more 25 years ago does not mean I live in the past. I am a member of my AFL club, my WAFL club and spend much of my time at my local A grade amatuer club. So obviously the sport is very important to me wouldn't you think?

I will ask you again, why is it an issue if someone thinks the game from 25 years ago was better in their opinion than it is today? It is a simple question mate.

stupid_face.jpg

unique thread...

Grant it I live in America...I was so passionate as a kid, honestly now I couldn't give a shit about anything related to this sham sport. Haven't seen St Kilda play in years, Don't know any players anymore...Just seems like the sport is a load of boring garbage, that a bunch of boring melbourners just prop up.
Cool troll thread.

All sports change.

Look at the NBA, the excitement of the 80's and early 90's, that physicality is gone. But the game is entertaining in different ways, as it is with AFL.

No matter which way you look at it there are huge numbers of people who are disenchanted with our game.
Subjects like the Rules, Interpretations of the rules, Bumps, racism, off field discretions, etc etc are all people talk about in regards to our game now.

There was only three things once that were ever discussed about footy, Did we win?, Why did we lose? and Bad umpiring.
The game has been run so badly that even the umpires are not abused anymore, the poor buggers like us have not got a clue what is happening from week to week.

Unfortunately we don't have the option to go and watch our great game elsewhere, we are stuck with this new sport and we keep supporting it because we like our clubs and the AFL know we will keep going so they will continue to stuff the sport up.

I have only half and if that the passion for the sport I once lived and breathed. I watch less footy now than ever. I dream of my great game returning but I know its gone forever now. That is sad for me but I also understand the young people know nothing different and they are who the AFL markets to.
It is a disgrace what we have let happen to our great game. I am particularly annoyed that so few past players have come out to say that the changes in interpretation (which amount to rule changes) have been the main cause of changing the type of games that have been played.

I was encouraged when Dermott Brereton came out and said that the game has had a sex change over the past 5 years.

I can't see it coming back but it is amazing that local football is still played in the traditional style. That is what I now enjoy watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First came across the sport when I lived in Australia a number of years ago, 3rd favourite sport after the GAA codes, The speed and athleticism of the game makes the games enjoyable to watch, think the sport would be better if there was less rucks and a sideline kick was introduced.

However I do think the Essendon scandal and the AFL's very lenient punishment for what were disgraceful and criminal acts has rightly or wrongly tainted my view on aussie football and that in turn has caused my intrest to dip a bit this season!
There are plenty of Essendon fans like me who think that they were not punished anywhere near enough. I would have banned all players who took the drugs for two years and any of the coaching staff involved. We would have got smashed for two years but at least would have served our time and been able to move on.

You must also realize that the AFL has turned into a sporting version of the WWE. The AFL steps in to make sure that underperforming teams are propped up so that results don't blow out (and broadcasters don't have people tuning out). The game was also largely played on saturday afternoons but now we have to space them out to get maximum coverage (saturday afternoon is the best time for a game of football). Rule changes are designed to create free flowing football which casual fans appreciate more (I actually enjoy harder more defensive games).

The main thing that is different between now and the "old days" is now we get a truck load of more media, this means we can get footy nearly 24/7 which mean there is a lot more things that people can complain about or be aware of.

To be honest I love where the game is this year, I find myself watching nearly all the games in the round where last year I would have only watched the port games and the blockbusters.

I'm not sure... I mean I'm watching less footy, but that could be down to my new job where I work most weekends. I still love watching Freo as much as anything. But the rest... eh, undecided. I'm not an old bloke either.

I also live in the States and left Oz well before the VFL changed its name to the AFL. My previous posts sum up my view - I still like Aussie Rules and on my visits back to Oz I still watch Aussie Rules - at suburban (SANFL) level. Why? Because AFL is no longer Aussie Rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back