Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant it I live in America...I was so passionate as a kid, honestly now I couldn't give a shit about anything related to this sham sport. Haven't seen St Kilda play in years, Don't know any players anymore...Just seems like the sport is a load of boring garbage, that a bunch of boring melbourners just prop up.
Thanks for sharing, any chance of changing your team before your next post.

Ah, yes......Good 'Ol Days Syndrome. It appears to be universal. I'm new to footy....and love it. I only know and can comment on what I've seen in the last 3 years, so I don't know what it used to be like "back in the day." I can tell you that there are plenty people here that share the same frustrations about our sports, especially the NFL. It used to be all about "smashing the QB" or "lighting a dude up" or "pancaking someone" etc. Now? With all the injuries/concussions the league is in a horrible spot. They want the violence....but not the consequences. Will QBs be wearing a red jersey (DO NOT HIT) someday??? And I'd hate to be a cornerback/safety......or back judge for that matter. The same hit is legal in one game.... but penalized the next. Anytime a player gets hammered these days, it draws a flag. The game is being pussified.

In conversations with Australians here, they're all frustrated with similar rules/interpretations and that the game was so much more rugged (and better) years ago. Wish I could've seen it then.....

I can tell you that there are plenty people here that share the same frustrations about our sports, especially the NFL. It used to be all about "smashing the QB" or "lighting a dude up" or "pancaking someone" etc. Now? With all the injuries/concussions the league is in a horrible spot. They want the violence....but not the consequences. Will QBs be wearing a red jersey (DO NOT HIT) someday??? And I'd hate to be a cornerback/safety......or back judge for that matter. The same hit is legal in one game.... but penalized the next. Anytime a player gets hammered these days, it draws a flag. The game is being pussified

Thanks for that worthless information. Who gives a shit what happens to septic sports?

I lived in Victoria until 2006, when I relocated the Brisbane for 3 years, then Canada in 2009 where I have been since. I must say that my love of the sport has only grown.

While I lived in Brisbane I gave league and Union a go, but I just couldn't get into it. I have also given the North American sports a fair crack but I just can not get into them the same as Aussie Rules.

I think in my case it is more than just some game, it is childhood memories of playing kick to kick with my mates at the park, going to the local footy on a Saturday arvo, going to the G with my old man to watch a game.

No matter what they do to the AFL I know I will always watch it. I probably watch it more now than I did living in Australia, it gives me a taste of home, an escape when I need it. It is great living overseas and experiencing new things but sometimes having something that is familiar is good. I haven't been to a game in 6 years and really look forward to going to one when I visit in August, no matter who is playing.

Ah, yes......Good 'Ol Days Syndrome. It appears to be universal. I'm new to footy....and love it.

Then you have the good old days syndrome to look forward to. In 20 years time when the game is even more ridiculous as it is now, or if it's just not the same game as the one you fell in love with and the cats are struggling to win a game, just listen to yourself as you begin bagging the game, and then you will understand. Until then, STFU until you know what you're talking about.

My interest in the AFL? Hawthorn. The club I have supported since 1968 and have been a big part of my life. Had my club merged (folded) in 1996, I would have walked away and never seen another game because bugger all else interests me about the AFL. It's shit.

So were you supporting them back in the fairy Maybloom days? Impressive.

Grant it I live in America...I was so passionate as a kid, honestly now I couldn't give a shit about anything related to this sham sport. Haven't seen St Kilda play in years, Don't know any players anymore...Just seems like the sport is a load of boring garbage, that a bunch of boring melbourners just prop up.

Excuse me sir, you appear to be on the wrong forum.

I can understand putting the GAA codes first - I've been watching a bit of hurling lately. Now that is quite an exciting sport! I was inspired to check it out after reading "The Club. Hunger, Conflict and Heartbreak- An Extraordinary Year in the Life of a GAA Club", by Christy O'Connor (Irish sports book of the year, 2010). Actually, I replied to give the book a plug. You've probably read it. It's relevant to anyone with a great love of a community sporting club. Now I find my interest in football slowly reverting to WAFL and away from AFL.

Superb book :thumbsu:

Delighted someone who isn't an avid GAA follower and member appreciates it.

I can understand putting the GAA codes first - I've been watching a bit of hurling lately. Now that is quite an exciting sport! I was inspired to check it out after reading "The Club. Hunger, Conflict and Heartbreak- An Extraordinary Year in the Life of a GAA Club", by Christy O'Connor (Irish sports book of the year, 2010). Actually, I replied to give the book a plug. You've probably read it. It's relevant to anyone with a great love of a community sporting club. Now I find my interest in football slowly reverting to WAFL and away from AFL.
Ya the club is a great book, puts into words exactly the joy, frustration and feeling of belonging that is part of every GAA club, as Seldom seen kid said above, I too am glad somebody from a non Gaelic background could relate to it.
Christy O Connor has another book called 'Last Man Standing' it's about the stereotype that all hurling goalkeepers are mad, and the book details the paranoia and downright weirdness that hurling keepers use to stay on top of their game.
'Hurling the revolution years' by Denis Walsh is also a top read about hurling in the 90's and early 2000's.
If your into your sports books and are getting into your hurling then you will really enjoy those reads!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't really expect anyone to reply to your mindless rant with any analytical thought? You need to brush that chip off your shoulder and fast.
The game has issues, but your post is a load of bollocks. Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host, you keep this up and there will be nothing left of you sooner than you think....

What's a melbourner?

Used to watch every game. I would be lucky to sit down and watch a full game in the home and away season these days. Finals, I still watch......Brings back the old football in September. For the most its a non contact sport now because soccer moms dont want their child getting hurt

My interest in football as a sport is as high as it ever was, but I have shifted my passion away from the AFL and onto the VFL, where the game is closer to the way I remember it as a youngster.

Yesterdays Box Hill Vs Port Melbourne game is a perfect example of how the game should be played, and the added bonuses like having a kick on the ground at the breaks, listening to the coaches address at 1/4 and 3/4 time, standing on the terraces, food that you don't have to mortgage your house to buy, etc, is the icing on the cake.

I actually agree with OP. My interest is almost at zero now. I'll watch this weeks game because it's Brad Scott round but apart from that I don't really care. I'm much more interested in EPL and cricket now, which several years ago I had no interest at all. It's been due to three factors, the AFL itself being run by a bunch of incompetent ****s, the umpires being a bunch of incompetent ****s and the MRP being a bunch of incompetent ****s.

FIFA itself is pretty corrupt but it's nowhere near as poorly run as the AFL with it's weekly rule changes.

Thanks for your contribution. If you would like to subscribe to my blog, please google "what the hell did I post this shit for" and pay $2 to your favorite charity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back