Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also London Ontario. I have been caught out a few times with people over here talking about going to London, meaning ON not UK.

There is also a Sydney in Nova Scotia. I remember a story of a couple of Brits who bought Olympic tickets in 2000 and hopped on a plane. They thought the flight to Australia went by very quickly :D

Grant it I live in America...I was so passionate as a kid, honestly now I couldn't give a shit about anything related to this sham sport. Haven't seen St Kilda play in years, Don't know any players anymore...Just seems like the sport is a load of boring garbage, that a bunch of boring melbourners just prop up.

The tyre on my car was flat and I changed it. I hadn't bought a coffee yet so it wasn't sitting there going cold while I changed the tyre... I bought a coffee after.

(How am I going?)

Time this thread is brought up. Recent media can suggest that this sport if a boofhead joke. I have no doubt in my mind that the sport will die within 50 years...I

Recent media can suggest that this sport if a boofhead joke.

Good to see that AFL is now in the American media.

I have no doubt in my mind that the sport will die within 50 years

Since you're in the good ol' USA, you're probably unaware that the AFL has expanded to 18 teams in Australia doubling it's presence in NSW and Qld.
That there's an AFL team on the Goldcoast outdrawing the other professional code up there.
And outside of Australia, Australian Football is played in over 60 countries now with some significant numbers in the RSA, PNG and NZ.
Yes, AFL games in NZ.
Both the Crows and Power are selling out the new Adelaide Oval whilst Subiaco is a continual sellout untill they build the new stadium in WA.
Sorry to hear that you're so starved of AFL news in the USA.

game needs a super freak player that can attract outsiders. Ablett Snr type who drew oppositions supporters to game to watch him play. Junior is awesome but he's hardly awe-inspiring. Franklin is similar, top athlete but lacks in other areas of the game.
Naitanui looked like being that kind of player but he's not done much this year, or even last year for that matter.

Not much individuality in the game right now.

No matter which way you look at it there are huge numbers of people who are disenchanted with our game.
Subjects like the Rules, Interpretations of the rules, Bumps, racism, off field discretions, etc etc are all people talk about in regards to our game now.

There was only three things once that were ever discussed about footy, Did we win?, Why did we lose? and Bad umpiring.
The game has been run so badly that even the umpires are not abused anymore, the poor buggers like us have not got a clue what is happening from week to week.

Unfortunately we don't have the option to go and watch our great game elsewhere, we are stuck with this new sport and we keep supporting it because we like our clubs and the AFL know we will keep going so they will continue to stuff the sport up.

I have only half and if that the passion for the sport I once lived and breathed. I watch less footy now than ever. I dream of my great game returning but I know its gone forever now. That is sad for me but I also understand the young people know nothing different and they are who the AFL markets to.
The AFL have no interest in marketing the game for the over 50s. They are after the 18 to 25 year old market. That all right, but with that attitude the days of the grandad, son and grandson going to the game together are over. Years ago if little Jonnie's dad was not interested in taking him to the football his grandad would have taken him. Now the people that run the game have no interest in the likes of little Jonnie's grandad going to the football so little Jonnie's grandad doesn't go and neither does little Jonnie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods, can we create a new folder? Called 'the game was so much better in the good old days' folder, and let the sad, whining, living in the past old sods go for their lives in there for the next century, without clogging up the main board with this utter drivel every five minutes?

can we start a new thread with every post, giving each post equal but at the same time more importance than the last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back