Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant it I live in America...I was so passionate as a kid, honestly now I couldn't give a shit about anything related to this sham sport. Haven't seen St Kilda play in years, Don't know any players anymore...Just seems like the sport is a load of boring garbage, that a bunch of boring melbourners just prop up.

1316623-obvious_troll.preview.jpg

Grant it I live in America...I was so passionate as a kid, honestly now I couldn't give a shit about anything related to this sham sport. Haven't seen St Kilda play in years, Don't know any players anymore...Just seems like the sport is a load of boring garbage, that a bunch of boring melbourners just prop up.

Cool story Hansel.

Go back to watching the swathe of American sports that are ever so exciting to watch...

Where you live can affect your interest

Being in Sydney (pre pay tv days) it was all rugby league - by all types of media - so naturally you do take an interest - even went to a few Balmain games at Leichardt Oval - when Warren Ryan was coach

Nowadays with pay tv - you could be located anywhere ( non AFL areas or strongholds) and it is irrelevant - because youve got coverage of every AFL game - as a result ive got Zero interest in Rugby League now - dont know how i ever took an interest in that game .

I've been going to almost every Essendon game in Melbourne the last 5 years. This year I've upgraded to better home seats but I'm enjoying it less than ever and going feels like a chore or obligation (and I've forked out all this money).

Our ordinariness and incoming ASADA punishment that will write off the season doesn't help, but I think it's more me being less interested in attending (I still enjoy watching us on TV and parts of neutral games each round) and wanting to do something else with my time and money.

Not the AFL's fault.

My interest this year is less than last year, is this due to:
  • We are the reigning premiers, so the pressure and excitement of expectation is less.
  • Losing a favorite player
  • Free agency causing supporters to have less emotional involvement as it's now more than ever a "business"
  • The negative vibes from the media, fixture, rule changes, tribunal, so on.
I love the game, but my interest has waned.

Where you at AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL used to be my number 1 followed sport, now it's probably number 3 behind the Premier League and cricket. I hardly watch any neutral games anymore and I don't even know if I will watch a game at all this week, as Essendon have the bye.

Footy is da sickest.

Watching sport delayed is never as fun.
You're right - TV, live or delayed, never captures Aussie Rules properly (unlike say Gridiron) due to the large size of the playing field. Fortunately, now that I am retired I get back to Oz more regularly and can catch a few games there live - not on TV. Happy days...

The troll is strong with this one

Don't really care either way but I always thought the OP was a rather more well known league "fan" (troll if you prefer) and was surprised at how many hits he got, could be mistaken for a different poster though.

My interest in non-Freo games is probably as strong as ever, I can usually pick out a couple of players I enjoy seeing in a neutral match and will give most games at least a chance.

First came across the sport when I lived in Australia a number of years ago, 3rd favourite sport after the GAA codes, The speed and athleticism of the game makes the games enjoyable to watch, think the sport would be better if there was less rucks and a sideline kick was introduced.

However I do think the Essendon scandal and the AFL's very lenient punishment for what were disgraceful and criminal acts has rightly or wrongly tainted my view on aussie football and that in turn has caused my intrest to dip a bit this season!

I can understand putting the GAA codes first - I've been watching a bit of hurling lately. Now that is quite an exciting sport! I was inspired to check it out after reading "The Club. Hunger, Conflict and Heartbreak- An Extraordinary Year in the Life of a GAA Club", by Christy O'Connor (Irish sports book of the year, 2010). Actually, I replied to give the book a plug. You've probably read it. It's relevant to anyone with a great love of a community sporting club. Now I find my interest in football slowly reverting to WAFL and away from AFL.

My interest has been wanning for a few years and this year it has plummeted in the AFL as a whole, can barely even watch matches between the top teams. Last weekend I was flicking over the the Giro d' Italia when that came on SBS before the footy had finished and I'll probably do the same again this weekend and during the World Cup I won't give a toss about the AFL.

Conversely though I have been getting my footy fix on a Saturday arvo watching either the Amatuers (Fitzroy in Premier B) or same games in the local league.

London is in America now?

My interest has definitely waned over the last 18 months to 2 years with moving to Queensland, the constant changing of the rules and the umpires's interpretation of those rules(I almost turned if off for good on Friday night when the umpires gave McVeigh a free goal for headbutting Hibberd's legs), and the whole Essendon saga. If I wasn't as emotionally involved in Essendon as I am I would definitely switch off and follow solely the NRL and NFL in summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your interest in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back