Draft Pick #14 2010 - Brodie Smith - Post your thoughts here!

Remove this Banner Ad

His kick looks very suspect and reminds me of the first time I saw Cook play against Sydney in the NAB cup 2 years ago, it was horrible then and hasn't improved since. I hope that Smith can sort his kick out and get it up to scratch because to me it doesn't look AFL standard unless he has some other major weapons

Cook can't kick and will never be able to kick to afl standard. He will be gone at the end of the year. In the offseason we have expressed our need for quick outside players that can carry the ball, well if they had confidence in cook why would it be so pressing. If smith's disposal is anything like cooks I am going to spew.

Cook can't kick and will never be able to kick to afl standard. He will be gone at the end of the year. In the offseason we have expressed our need for quick outside players that can carry the ball, well if they had confidence in cook why would it be so pressing. If smith's disposal is anything like cooks I am going to spew.
From what I've seen of Brodie, his kicking is a heck of a lot better than Cook's. Not sure why the comparison has been made, but anyway.

His kick looks very suspect and reminds me of the first time I saw Cook play against Sydney in the NAB cup 2 years ago, it was horrible then and hasn't improved since. I hope that Smith can sort his kick out and get it up to scratch because to me it doesn't look AFL standard unless he has some other major weapons
Gee, we really like to get stuck into a player before they have the chance to show what they have got. Ahhhh.... BF.:rolleyes:

On the Port board many are saying that once we couldn't get Smith we should jave gone for this or that player instead of Jacobs.
Here I am reading the exact opposite.

The grass is always greener on the other side hey? :p

GrassIsGreener1.jpg

Wasnt trying to bag the guy just saying I am worried about his ability to bring his disposal up to afl standard, we are lacking in the skill department already and feel like we may have got another player with suspect skills thats all.

Wasnt trying to bag the guy just saying I am worried about his ability to bring his disposal up to afl standard, we are lacking in the skill department already and feel like we may have got another player with suspect skills thats all.
Fair enough, but from what I've seen of Brodie in the SANFL so far, his kicking skills are being very harshly rated on here.

Are you serious? Bones is full of shit. If it was up to him we wouldn't have smith as we would have given pick 14 away.

No doubt Bone is full of shit, but at least he has the decency to keep it to a minimum whilst interviewing someone, he just asks a reasonably sensible question and lets the interviewee answer in his own time. Cornes on the other hand can't help himself, he just has to sprout shit, interrupt, argue, patronise, create a fuss... whatever he can do to ensure that the limelight stays on him.

Apparently last night Rowe and bones said we should have picked up jacobs

Quite frankly, I think Jacobs would have been a very good pick up for us, one of a couple I was quite keen for us to pick up. I think in terms of the type of player he is and his strengths, he probably would have fitted our needs right down to a T, apart from maybe a lacking a little in the pace department. He's a good size, finds heaps of the footy, beautifully accurate 60-65m left foot kick, strong over head, hard at the footy and very committed, would have been a perfect replacement for Simon Goodwin and is probably ready to step up straight away. However Rendell obviously believes Smith is a better player, so I'm happy to back him in on that, I'm really not well enough placed to comment

I think both clubs have come away very happy and it'll be interesting to see how each player goes.

Mechanically it is a bit dubious - lofts it a bit high and looks awkward. But he is usually in a position to have time to make the right decision. And when he is in clearance mode, he can get the ball on the foot very quickly and get it long to the right spot. I normally wouldn't worry about it too much, but Adelaide really do lack elite footskills.

He took the kick ins at league level for the Eagles, so it can't be that bad:eek: Whilst he's not necessarily an attractive kick, I think he's cops an unfair whack for his kicking. Kicked a beauty from outside 50 off two steps in the SANFL finals, under intense pressure. Didn't only "just" make the distance either, cleared the "ball catching" net they had behind the goals to land a good 15 rows back. May not be an elite kick, but I think we'll find his kicking is more than serviceable.

I think Smith will be a great player. Really wanted him to get to our pick.

His kicking action can look ugly but the result is normally very good. Based on what I've seen he has above average kicking skills.

Can't say I ever thought his kicking to be an issue watching him play all his league games at the Eagles. I actually thought one of his strengths was his decision making in going for the longer and better option and hitting the target. Also don't think his kicking action is that ugly, mind you, he was flanked by Pat Giuffreda and Ben Grieger for much of the year which may have made him look a little more attractive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a youtube armchair expect.... i was initially concerned about his kicking.

However while his short kicks do look floaty, saw many highlights of very long accurate passes and some long, outside 50 goals. Interesting style seems to bring his leg across and when going for distance left leg lifts off ground to launch himself into kick.

As a draft pick i think at this stage it is the role of all supporters to assume he is going to be a gun :D enjoy the ride.

His kicking is fine. People need to start concentrating on the actual quality of his kicking, and not the awkward looking action. There is certainly room for improvement, but his kick does appear to be a very long one - that seems to be generally quite accurate over distance.

Excellent selection. Will be absolute quality.

Can someone tell me why they expect Cornesy, KG or Rowe to do their own research? surely there are juniors on the team whose job it is to do that, write it up, and give it to them?

plus of course, there is the who cares factor ;)

Two South Australian first rounders in three years... I like it. The constant go-home debates we seem to be embroiled in each season are becoming tiresome.

Craig, Davis, Jacobs, Jaensch, Martin, Petrenko, Smith... all South Australians and all coming onto the senior list in the last couple of seasons. Whether it's tactical or just a coincidence that the 'best available' included a bunch of South Aussies I don't know, but I wonder how much sparing ourlseves angst down the track is in our thinking.

Two South Australian first rounders in three years... I like it. The constant go-home debates we seem to be embroiled in each season are becoming tiresome.

Craig, Davis, Jacobs, Jaensch, Martin, Petrenko, Smith... all South Australians and all coming onto the senior list in the last couple of seasons. Whether it's tactical or just a coincidence that the 'best available' included a bunch of South Aussies I don't know, but I wonder how much sparing ourlseves angst down the track is in our thinking.

Rendell has said multiple times we take the south australian if we cannot split them. I think we underestimate how much "taste" goes into deciding a draft order. Rendell said from 5 - 30 it was hard to split, I reckon we went the SA boy over Jacobs, Atley because he was an SA boy and the other two were not daylight better.

He took the kick ins at league level for the Eagles, so it can't be that bad:eek: Whilst he's not necessarily an attractive kick, I think he's cops an unfair whack for his kicking. Kicked a beauty from outside 50 off two steps in the SANFL finals, under intense pressure. Didn't only "just" make the distance either, cleared the "ball catching" net they had behind the goals to land a good 15 rows back. May not be an elite kick, but I think we'll find his kicking is more than serviceable.

Yep, totally agree.

Also, because he has a peculiar action, I think with some good coaching it could really improve. When a player has a fine action and still can't hit a target, that's a problem. Smith has probably developed a bit of a short cut for himself that has worked and never had it corrected because its probably never been to the detriment of his game at lower levels. There is scope for improvement, undoubtedly, but I'm not stressing about it. Same deal with his pace.

There have been plenty of discussions here about whether or not trying to coach a kicking action out of someone has any merit by the time they reach AFL level or not. Personally I would say we should only do it if necessary. If Smith is going to be an inside midfielder, the last thing we need is for him to be thinking about is an action that is not natural to him. If his kicking becomes a problem we can look into it, but if that were the case hopefully we wouldn't have spent a first rounder on him.

I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. I'm certainly not an optimist about teaching someone who has played for their whole life at this stage, but I think Smith might be a special case because of the peculiarity of his action.

We'll have to wait and see I think, it seems effective but with the quicker pace of AFL I think his action could break down at this level. However he's an inside mid so It's not the end of the world if his kicking doesn't improve. He can kick it a mile though which is a plus, we don't have many long raking kicks in our team. I do feel good about Brodie though if he improves his kicking a bit more he could be an absolute gun.

Funny you should say that. By my maths we now have just 15 of 39 senior/veteran listed players who were originally drafted from SA clubs. Note that there are a few others who were born in SA but drafted from Vic, or were drafted from Broken Hill (which is to all intents and purposes part of SA).

Is this the first time in the club's history that native South Australians have been in a minority on the list?

Under Rendell our drafting has been very Vic centric.

Vic - 15 (12 still listed)
SA - 9 (8)
WA - 1 (0)
NSW - 3 (3)

Can break it down further showing the Vic inflow from the ND
Vic - 12 (10)
SA - 3 (3)
WA - 1 (0)
NSW - 2 (2)

The RD seems to be the only place SA has an edge (and seems to be somewhat of a MR speciality).
SA - 6 (5)
Vic - 3 (2)
NSW - 1 (1)

Noting that one SA listed player came via Brisbane, it outlines Vic as our strong point, especially in the ND, where we look comfortable looking local for the RD.

Davis is another one that was bagged for his odd-looking kicking action (not to mention his odd-looking running action :eek:) but who was perfectly fine at AFL level. I'm not concerned at this stage.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned Davis' running action. I've been laughing at that one for a few years now.
He runs like a teenage girl who has just developed boobs and is trying to hide the fact that they bounce around as she runs! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back