Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lads looking at Matt Crouch very closely in dream team after last year's great finish. Been solid across JLT and has been working hard in the pre season. My only concern with picking him is his poor TOG. Most of his games are within the 65-75% TOG range compared to the elite of 80+. Are the crows holding him back and going to get big minutes out of him in the real season or is he going to spend a bit of time on the bench again?

I know he's an absolute ball magnet, but I'm just questioning with his TOG will improve as the season starts. Can see him being a real asset this season for y'all

Lads looking at Matt Crouch very closely in dream team after last year's great finish. Been solid across JLT and has been working hard in the pre season. My only concern with picking him is his poor TOG. Most of his games are within the 65-75% TOG range compared to the elite of 80+. Are the crows holding him back and going to get big minutes out of him in the real season or is he going to spend a bit of time on the bench again?

I know he's an absolute ball magnet, but I'm just questioning with his TOG will improve as the season starts. Can see him being a real asset this season for y'all
I thought his TOG was up in JLT1&2. So they only gave him 2/3 game time in JLT3. He will play ~85% game time in 2017. Scott Thompson won't get many games so Mrouch is now our #1 contested mid.

As much as NTRabbit hates the Crouch boys, he's 100% bang on that Brouch must play a couple of games in the magoos before being selected for AFL. Even if they are trial games, he needs the miles in his legs

I'd play him 3 games:

1/2 a game
3/4 of a game
Full game

Then get him in if his body hasn't let him down again

As much as NTRabbit hates the Crouch boys, he's 100% bang on that Brouch must play a couple of games in the magoos before being selected for AFL. Even if they are trial games, he needs the miles in his legs

I'd play him 3 games:

1/2 a game
3/4 of a game
Full game

I'll be happy if we see him in round 7 and plays the rest of games other than being rested once or twice through management

6 games in a row max excluding byes

I'd play him 3 games:

1/2 a game
3/4 of a game
Full game

I agree with Brad it's all about ensuring he is conditioned where the game want push him to his limit. Simply can't afford to re injure himself give him games in the twos and ensure he has built himself up

We know he could step into AfL and do a better job than half the team, but it's not about that it's about making sure he is 100% right to go

I thought his TOG was up in JLT1&2. So they only gave him 2/3 game time in JLT3. He will play ~85% game time in 2017. Scott Thompson won't get many games so Mrouch is now our #1 contested mid.
There was a rumour he hurt a shoulder in JLT3 as well. That may explain some time off ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked on AFL website for a summary of the thoughts from JLT. There is none, well not yet at least. Here's mine:

Overall it was very difficult to take much away. I have a rule that you can only take away clear indications of poor form from pre-season, good form not so much. No one really had any good form anyway, don't think any team won all 3. Only carlton lost all 3.

Strong teams will be GWS, Syd and Adelaide.

Poor team will be Carlton.

Next team after the strong ones would probably have to go to St Kilda.

Other teams to be candidates in bottom 6 will be Bris (young), Freo (quality after top 5 plummets, dont think theyre playing for coach), Port (seems like player disharmony, not sure theyre playing for coach, heaps of teams have caught up to their speed), Kangaroos (inexperience) and Collingwood (good mid but no forward line). Have decided to put Ess in here as well, no ruckman to start the season with, will probably lose early games, dent the confidence and dampen their whole season.

Rest of the teams that could finish between bottom 4 in the 8 and above bottom 6: Hawks (not convincing, but not poor either), Geelong (same as for hawks), WC (weren't impressive even prior to ruckman being injured), WB (haven't seen any of them, but nothing stands out in a positive sense, will carry over good form from last year), Melb (haven't been as impressive as I thought they might), Richmond (ok core, but lot of inexperience) , GC (with a decent fit team have enough talent and experience to trouble teams)

Looked on AFL website for a summary of the thoughts from JLT. There is none, well not yet at least. Here's mine:

Overall it was very difficult to take much away. I have a rule that you can only take away clear indications of poor form from pre-season, good form not so much. No one really had any good form anyway, don't think any team won all 3. Only carlton lost all 3.

Other teams to be candidates in bottom 6 will be Bris (young), Freo (quality after top 5 plummets, dont think theyre playing for coach), Port (seems like player disharmony, not sure theyre playing for coach, heaps of teams have caught up to their speed), Kangaroos (inexperience) and Collingwood (good mid but no forward line). Have decided to put Ess in here as well, no ruckman to start the season with, will probably lose early games, dent the confidence and dampen their whole season.

Rest of the teams that could finish between bottom 4 in the 8 and above bottom 6: Hawks (not convincing, but not poor either), Geelong (same as for hawks), WC (weren't impressive even prior to ruckman being injured), WB (haven't seen any of them, but nothing stands out in a positive sense, will carry over good form from last year), Melb (haven't been as impressive as I thought they might), Richmond (ok core, but lot of inexperience) , GC (with a decent fit team have enough talent and experience to trouble teams)
So are you basing this solely on preseason form?

If so how do you mark as a strong team? We lost to Richmond, played one very good quarter against Geelong and let Brisbane kick 100 points.

I think after the game on the weekend Brisbane surprised me and will rise a bit. They run the ball really well once out and will break even in the midfield with most teams, they are still young in KPP but have something to work with. I don't think they will make finals but could climb out of the cellar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back