Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen any of the game, flicked the Telstra live stuff on at the Belgian Bar just in time to see a close up of Daniel Talia walking off the ground at half time, decided beer and company was better entertainment. Was planning to watch the replay on youtube later tonight
Matt Crouch has a ripping preseason and suddenly you cant find the time to watch a single game :)

Hope you find the remote in time for the real stuff.

So are you basing this solely on preseason form?

If so how do you mark as a strong team? We lost to Richmond, played one very good quarter against Geelong and let Brisbane kick 100 points.

No not solely on preseason form, prolly 60:40 past history to preseason.

You know the deal EC, got a different view, put it up. Which team got the highest score of the preseason comp? Were there any teams that had their first and third best mids out for the entire comp? Do you think in a regular season game that no adjustments would be made to stop the easy out the back stuff that Rich and Bris got?

I think after the game on the weekend Brisbane surprised me and will rise a bit. They run the ball really well once out and will break even in the midfield with most teams, they are still young in KPP but have something to work with. I don't think they will make finals but could climb out of the cellar.

I see some of the points you are saying and will add that Brisbane seem to be a bloody quick team which surprised me a bit. I dont think we are slouches anymore so I think that's one thing Bris have to trouble sides. But, its like in the convo I had at the pub last night that contributed to the post. In that convo I said carlton would be crap, they argued no they wouldn't and then I said, well who else will finish down there then and give me your ladder then. At this point they struggle, because whilst they might have seen some good things, they know someone has to end up down there and when you start to run through the list of alternatives they also have produced some good signs. You can't not have someone at the bottom, so reluctantly in go carlton, brisbane etc. IMO Adel also made bris look a lot better than they are, we didn't seem to fussed at all about out the back stuff that we'd normally make changes to combat.

1 midfielder out of GWS doesnt dent them much. Two would. But every little bit helps.

GWS would be so short due to their being a lot of dumb money on them rather than the bookmakers actually thinking they are that much more of a chance than us in the opening game.

No not solely on preseason form, prolly 60:40 past history to preseason.

You know the deal EC, got a different view, put it up. Which team got the highest score of the preseason comp? Were there any teams that had their first and third best mids out for the entire comp? Do you think in a regular season game that no adjustments would be made to stop the easy out the back stuff that Rich and Bris got?
If that's the case how do you have West Coast and the Bulldogs so low?

The Bulldogs are reigning premiers and with a young team, Stringer has had a big preseason and if he produces his 2015 form look out.

West Coast have played some very nice football after losing to GWS and Mitchell will improve their side.

We had a decent preseason, but to have us jumping from 6th into the top 3 based on not have two of our best mids playing this preseason is a tad optimistic.

1 midfielder out of GWS doesnt dent them much. Two would. But every little bit helps.

GWS would be so short due to their being a lot of dumb money on them rather than the bookmakers actually thinking they are that much more of a chance than us in the opening game.
I don't know if its that dumb...

If that's the case how do you have West Coast and the Bulldogs so low?

The Bulldogs are reigning premiers and with a young team, Stringer has had a big preseason and if he produces his 2015 form look out.

West Coast have played some very nice football after losing to GWS and Mitchell will improve their side.

We had a decent preseason, but to have us jumping from 6th into the top 3 based on not have two of our best mids playing this preseason is a tad optimistic.

West Coast's Ruck stocks are now worse than ours.

I see some of the points you are saying and will add that Brisbane seem to be a bloody quick team which surprised me a bit. I dont think we are slouches anymore so I think that's one thing Bris have to trouble sides. But, its like in the convo I had at the pub last night that contributed to the post. In that convo I said carlton would be crap, they argued no they wouldn't and then I said, well who else will finish down there then and give me your ladder then. At this point they struggle, because whilst they might have seen some good things, they know someone has to end up down there and when you start to run through the list of alternatives they also have produced some good signs. You can't not have someone at the bottom, so reluctantly in go carlton, brisbane etc. IMO Adel also made bris look a lot better than they are, we didn't seem to fussed at all about out the back stuff that we'd normally make changes to combat.
Fair point about who does go down, my candidates for the cellar are:
Essendon - yes they get a heap of players back, all who have had a year off. They will need time to adjust to the pace and a new coach, in 12 months it could be a different call.
Pies - Team and coach on a different road, nothing of note in KPP other than some youth.
North - Struggled come then end of 2016 and lost massive experience
Port - They have so many problems, Trengove can't fix them all. Top ten players are good but the next rank are dodgy at best and Hinkley is a dead man walking (not to mention my many sacrifices to the footy gods for this to happen)
Richmond - All the hype if Feb - March, Dimma will find a way to stuff them up (And Martin is outa there - to here hopefully)
Freo - Sandi on his last, no Pav and midfield depth a big worry. Fyfe back wont fix it. and I still say any defense that relies on Dawson is already in trouble.
Oh and Carlton who a few years off getting out of the basement.

I know we took the foot off in the last on the weekend, but there was enough from Brisbane over the day to suggest they have turned a corner. New coach and gameplan and a few players back. They are still years off finals but I think there is plenty of competition for high draft picks this year.

Fair point about who does go down, my candidates for the cellar are:
Essendon - yes they get a heap of players back, all who have had a year off. They will need time to adjust to the pace and a new coach, in 12 months it could be a different call.
Pies - Team and coach on a different road, nothing of note in KPP other than some youth.
North - Struggled come then end of 2016 and lost massive experience
Port - They have so many problems, Trengove can't fix them all. Top ten players are good but the next rank are dodgy at best and Hinkley is a dead man walking (not to mention my many sacrifices to the footy gods for this to happen)
Richmond - All the hype if Feb - March, Dimma will find a way to stuff them up (And Martin is outa there - to here hopefully)
Freo - Sandi on his last, no Pav and midfield depth a big worry. Fyfe back wont fix it. and I still say any defense that relies on Dawson is already in trouble.
Oh and Carlton who a few years off getting out of the basement.

I know we took the foot off in the last on the weekend, but there was enough from Brisbane over the day to suggest they have turned a corner. New coach and gameplan and a few players back. They are still years off finals but I think there is plenty of competition for high draft picks this year.
Imo, Carlton from Brisbane.

Gets harder after that & probably depend on injuries & form.

Essendon will struggle to run out 4 quarters.

Matt Crouch has a ripping preseason and suddenly you cant find the time to watch a single game :)

Hope you find the remote in time for the real stuff.

I'm sorry I actually elect to have a social life during the preseason, when the Fringe Festival, Writers Week, the Clipsal 500, and the Festival are on, that must be terribly hard for you to understand.

I watched the replay last night, I fail to say why anyone is so up and about over that display, it confirmed what I thought after looking at just the stats - we were beaten in the midfield by the 17th placed side, and in a shootout were only never bothered because Brisbane was running a forward line consisting of Mitch Robinson and a bunch of schoolchildren. Nobody put in a 4 quarter performance, and the only mid I'd even consider putting in our bests was Atkins.

All we demonstrated against Brisbane was that yes, when the opposition turns the ball over going into their forward line we can still immediately punish them on the rebound, as though we didn't already know. The rest was same old same sold.

I watched the replay last night, I fail to say why anyone is so up and about over that display, it confirmed what I thought after looking at just the stats - we were beaten in the midfield by the 17th placed side, and in a shootout were only never bothered because Brisbane was running a forward line consisting of Mitch Robinson and a bunch of schoolchildren. Nobody put in a 4 quarter performance, and the only mid I'd even consider putting in our bests was Atkins.
Lol

Crouch wasn't on for 4 quarters but when he was on it was another excellent display

Building beautifully for round 1 and a huge season.

Lol

Crouch wasn't on for 4 quarters but when he was on it was another excellent display

Building beautifully for round 1 and a huge season.
He couldn't criticise Crouch so he extended it to the team as if that somehow detracts from Matt's game.

Never change rabbit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if its that dumb...
There's no precedent set to go off of, there's never been a team like them, except gc. If we went off the gc example, they seemed to peak, trough and now look to be coming back up. If I take that model, then GWS is probably going to head for a trough!! Not that I believe that. I still think GWS will be very good. However, a lot of people are just doing the following sum: went well last year +have heaps of high draft picks = guaranteed success this year. For me, history has a history of throwing a few curveballs at equations like that.

The question I ask myself, to put myself in the same position as the gamblers is, who would I tip. I'm line ball at the moment, I hate tipping against us at the moment but GWS are also going to be very good. I might have to wait until after the teams are announced to make my final call.

There's no precedent set to go off of, there's never been a team like them, except gc. If we went off the gc example, they seemed to peak, trough and now look to be coming back up. If I take that model, then GWS is probably going to head for a trough!! Not that I believe that. I still think GWS will be very good. However, a lot of people are just doing the following sum: went well last year +have heaps of high draft picks = guaranteed success this year. For me, history has a history of throwing a few curveballs at equations like that.

The question I ask myself, to put myself in the same position as the gamblers is, who would I tip. I'm line ball at the moment, I hate tipping against us at the moment but GWS are also going to be very good. I might have to wait until after the teams are announced to make my final call.
when did Gold Coast last lose to the eventual premiers by a goal in a prelim? or a good coach? GWS are an entirely different beast.

It's a little bit worrisome that we haven't heard anything about Tex's hamstring yet. You'd think they would have got his scans done today.

I'm sure that GWS would rather have him playing round 1

He's a bloody elite mid and was flying on the weekend before he got injured

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back