List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
One understated play that I heard on the HS podcast is if somebody bids on that Harry Rowsten bloke (GWS acacdemy) before their first pick of the second round. Would mean the GWS pick is eaten up and we have the first pick on the second day - which would be golden as its worth alot, as clubs come calling bigtime.

So in short, this Harry Rowsten bloke is a jet and jump on the bandwagon for a bid inside 20. I'm looking at you Swans.
This would seriously upset the apple cart at the end R1 beginning R2. I will not use any assumptions for pick slides due to bid matches as it gets too complicated. The effects on the maths for the points is minor - it tells the story.

Example - Pies bid at 16 knowing it could be good for their picks at 25 and 27. GWS have 18 and 19 so would need to sell both. The buyers who will give maximum points are those with later picks.

Who are the likely buyers

Fremantle - could offer 30, 43, 44 and Norf's future priority R2 which is valued at say 20
1668746473192.png

Hawthorn - who hold 24, 41, 48, 50, 52, and 65 could off all of most of those for 18 and 19
1668746707656.png

So Fremantle get in 2 picks before our 20 and 26 and sweep up the local talent. I could see them doing it if Allan was still there. They would also be able to take a first rounder at 18 and then wait for the market to come to them at 19 and possibly snag a future R1

GWS could also set up individual deals with a number of clubs, some could also include a commitment to a trade back later (albeit it with different picks).

None of the above would be of any benefit to West Coast unless we were buying. If we see the right 2 targets there at 18 or 19 and our own pick 20, I would be happy to jump in at 18 offering 26 and Port's future R3. I'd even look at our own F3 provided GWS threw in pick 57

Called it. Tsatas to be the slider.

Others on here have questioned his hurt factor even if he gets plenty of it.

Will be interesting what we do if he is there at 9. Will obviously depend 9n who else is still available.

This just reinforces our decision to split the pick. Outside Ashcroft the top 10-12 is very even

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or if the club wants a decent talent KPF/KPB/Part time ruck Phoenix Foster as a later pick is a very good prospect. Very good around the ground, can contest in the ruck (will need more development) and can play back. At AFL level if drafted and developed well I actually see him as a KPD.
I am with you on Foster. Not sure whether he becomes a KPD or a KPF - I actually see a bit of Quentin Lynch positional use in him. I have been looking at him for some time hoping he is there at 78 or a rookie. He competes very well in the air, usually marking or bringing the ball to ground.

I am thinking keep our higher end picks clear of rucks and use 2023 to get a ruck. Yes there is Mitch Edwards but the cohort in 2023 for rucks is pretty good (both local and interstate).

So what do we do with pick 26? It could well be pick 31 with Ashcroft, Fletcher, Davey, Rowston and Michalanney bid on earlier.

I would be OK looking at a slide back with say Melbourne at 37 or Doggies at 39. We could do 26 and a Port's future R3 for Melbourne's 37 plus Freo's F2 or Doggies 39 plus Lion's F2. Both Melbourne and Doggies are armed with excellent hands for 2023.

Either of those would see us with all our future picks and another 2 x R2. Obviously it will depend on who take and who is left but I am seeing a pretty evenness in the late 20's to 40. some flankers, later talls, etc.

It will also need us to have nailed at least 2 quality mids in our first 3 picks.

This would seriously upset the apple cart at the end R1 beginning R2. I will not use any assumptions for pick slides due to bid matches as it gets too complicated. The effects on the maths for the points is minor - it tells the story.

Example - Pies bid at 16 knowing it could be good for their picks at 25 and 27. GWS have 18 and 19 so would need to sell both. The buyers who will give maximum points are those with later picks.

Who are the likely buyers

Fremantle - could offer 30, 43, 44 and Norf's future priority R2 which is valued at say 20
View attachment 1556131

Hawthorn - who hold 24, 41, 48, 50, 52, and 65 could off all of most of those for 18 and 19
View attachment 1556134

So Fremantle get in 2 picks before our 20 and 26 and sweep up the local talent. I could see them doing it if Allan was still there. They would also be able to take a first rounder at 18 and then wait for the market to come to them at 19 and possibly snag a future R1

GWS could also set up individual deals with a number of clubs, some could also include a commitment to a trade back later (albeit it with different picks).

None of the above would be of any benefit to West Coast unless we were buying. If we see the right 2 targets there at 18 or 19 and our own pick 20, I would be happy to jump in at 18 offering 26 and Port's future R3. I'd even look at our own F3 provided GWS threw in pick 57
Pick 18 would cover the points required to match that bid so why would they be selling 18 and 19?

Interesting Favourite Postion from 3 years ago....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118-133133_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118-133133_Facebook.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_20221118_133243.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118_133243.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 222
Also, would GWS actually match a bid that early. Likely to have better players available at 18 and 19 than Rowston

And would a club take the risk that GWS wouldn’t match a bid

2cm is what's bugging you?
Boof his hair up on game day and you've got your 2cm, and then let the kids strength, speed, skills, smarts, timing, rucking nous do the rest.
Yep, doesn't seem like much. But to take a ruckman that early in the draft you'd want one that is at least 204cm, rather use our late picks to take either a Knobel or Broadbent is my point.

Plenty of ruckman taken recently are pretty tall;
  • Reeves 211cm
  • Mirkov 210cm
  • Draper 205cm
  • Conway 205cm
  • Colina 213cm
  • McAndrew 209cm
  • Smith 206cm
  • Ryan 206cm

Seems like a bit of trend with clubs of late, as mids are going from 180cm to 190cm+ so are the rucks clubs are looking at are taller too. The above are all recent (past 4 years) that clubs are picking up.

The guys that are sub 203cm either have really big frames like Darcy, where they can use their body to advantage or have exceptional leaps to make up for the height deficit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsats needs to be taken by us if he slides. Just on stats alone and what he contributed he is top 3.

I don't care how much potential others have. At 9 he is a lock for making it to AFL. No question marks over his potential or if he can make it.

Pick 18 would cover the points required to match that bid so why would they be selling 18 and 19?
If they use 18 to match a bid at 16, they will need 852 points. Pick 18 (their next pick) is worth 1,065 so with a 20% discount going to 852 points to match, it would give them a carry over of 133 points which is like a balance pick in the 60's. Not a great pick. They should be able to do much better in selling it off.

The problem is that they have 2 consecutive picks so it is double whammy.

I personally cannot see Rowston being bid on early and being matched. So it is probably a moot point. If any club wants to make a bluff, this is one that may blow up in your face if you really do not value Rowston that high.

How do the Giants even have access to Rowston? I thought the Riverina region was taken off them.
Not a full bottle on exactly where Rowston is from but there are lots of parts to the Riverina and given he is in the academy, he must be from the right side of the road. Northern Academies are allowed to match inside pick 40, so the fact that Twomey is talking it, I am assuming he is in the know.

Not a full bottle on exactly where Rowston is from but there are lots of parts to the Riverina and given he is in the academy, he must be from the right side of the road. Northern Academies are allowed to match inside pick 40, so the fact that Twomey is talking it, I am assuming he is in the know.

Griffith.

Yeah I assume they do actually have access to him. I’m just surprised because I thought the Riverina region had been taken off them and their academy had been limited to less-traditional football areas of NSW.

As you say, it’s probably that they’ve lost some parts and kept others.

If they use 18 to match a bid at 16, they will need 852 points. Pick 18 (their next pick) is worth 1,065 so with a 20% discount going to 852 points to match, it would give them a carry over of 133 points which is like a balance pick in the 60's. Not a great pick. They should be able to do much better in selling it off.

The problem is that they have 2 consecutive picks so it is double whammy.

I personally cannot see Rowston being bid on early and being matched. So it is probably a moot point. If any club wants to make a bluff, this is one that may blow up in your face if you really do not value Rowston that high.

Just using your Fremantle example

Trade out 18 and 19, get back 30,43,44 and the F2 tied to North (which Fremantle can’t trade btw without getting another F2 from somewhere)

They’d then lose 30 in a match and 31 gets pushed back to 40 something

So after matching they’re left with 3 picks in the 40’s at least one of which they won’t use and Norths F2

If they match with 18, they still have 19 and 31 - I’d rather that

Griffith.

Yeah I assume they do actually have access to him. I’m just surprised because I thought the Riverina region had been taken off them and their academy had been limited to less-traditional football areas of NSW.

As you say, it’s probably that they’ve lost some parts and kept others.
Griffith is nearly 3 hours drive over the Vic border so probably passes as rugby territory

Fido ruled himself in.

Perfectly understandable for a player who’d never played in a grand final in his ten year career to say he was fit to play.

And perfectly understandable for the medicos to overrule him in the interests of the team.

Tsatas is sliding for a very good reason; he's a turnover merchant

I watched his "highlights" and damn near half of his kicks or more went to the opposition

Guy can find the ball on the outside, sure. Which is another yellow flag because guys that can't win their own football may not transition to AFL as well as someone who does.

But, but, but when he fills out, he will be the big bodied mid we are looking for!

With our strength and conditioning team, would you back them to produce a midfield bull and stack the muscle on him, given their track record? I wouldn't

I have reservations on Ginbey, but I would prefer him to Tsatas. Which is saying something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back