List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:

West Coast have five spots on their main list available and a strong draft hand including eight, 12, 20 and 26, as well as two rookie spots.

The hard-working McDonald is in contention for the Eagles’ late pick or one of their rookie spots.
Thought he wasn't great in the champs, plenty of mistakes and seemed a long way off.

I'd rather still be us.
We're about to embark on a list build. Premierships are the goal, but I very much look forward to the journey to get there.

What club legend will we draft next? The next Judd, Kennedy, Cox, Matera, Marsden 🥰

Was about to say something similar.

Time to enjoy the list rebuild wild ride. New players a new faster style but with tempered expectations. We will surprise every now and then and slowly regain some home wins playing as underdogs.

More decent picks than we've had in years, more to come and then massive cap space freed up over the next two seasons.

Interesting times, some may well need to upgrade to the next excel release to keep up!;):thumbsu::cool:

Having listened to Cal's podcasts and whatnot the last couple days, sounds very little chance Hewett gets to 20. Sounds like there is heavy interest from 11+, with top 10 plausible also

Please can we take:
8. Best Available and Proven Mid - Tsatas, McKenzie, Phillipou, Clark, Ginbey in that order.
12. Hewett
20. George if he's there. Otherwise Barnett or Charlie Clarke
26. Jakob Ryan or Kaleb Smith (unless he is expected to go later and we can trade up for him)

I was thinking about it and we've actually done a solid job of recouping some of the perceived damage of the Kelly trade. In that deal we gave up two first rounds and two seconds.

Last year we took an extra second round pick, this year we will be taking two firsts and two seconds, and next year we hold an extra second and a third round pick.

So that translates to recouping an extra first, two seconds and a third - via trading down and also the loss of Rioli, who had just been banned for two years at the time of the Kelly trade anyway. So whilst it's a simplistic way of breaking down things, it's comforting to know we're almost squared away in terms of total 'decent' picks taken by the end of next year.

I was thinking about it and we've actually done a solid job of recouping some of the perceived damage of the Kelly trade. In that deal we gave up two first rounds and two seconds.

Last year we took an extra second round pick, this year we will be taking two firsts and two seconds, and next year we hold an extra second and a third round pick.

So that translates to recouping an extra first, two seconds and a third - via trading down and also the loss of Rioli, who had just been banned for two years at the time of the Kelly trade anyway. So whilst it's a simplistic way of breaking down things, it's comforting to know we're almost squared away in terms of total 'decent' picks taken by the end of next year.

Anyone know the players we would’ve ended up with if we didn’t trade for Kelly? It’s a bit hard to follow the picks and where they ended up but from memory it was something like
Cooper Stephens, Jeremy Sharp and one more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone know the players we would’ve ended up with if we didn’t trade for Kelly? It’s a bit hard to follow the picks and where they ended up but from memory it was something like
Cooper Stephens, Jeremy Sharp and one more.

It's always fraught because it's unlikely we pick the same players but you'd have to think Jeremy Sharp is one we would have picked up. There's a fair bit of hype around him but he hasn't done loads with the Suns just yet.

The burning question is would we have picked up Mitch Georgiades with the pick Geelong used on Cooper Stevens... We also gave up a pick in the '30s and Chad Warner was taken at 39... Being a local lad I guess increases the chances we take him (same with MG).

The first-round pick in 2020 doesn't seem to have cost a whole lot. Ryan Angwin was the actual pick, but whether we took him or someone in the vicinity of him, it doesn't look like there was a load of talent we missed the chance to grab.

Tim Kelly has been pretty good without tearing things up. We've certainly been on the wrong end of the overall trade but not as far as people consider. For all the complaining on here, I think he's still finished top five in each year of our board's POTY.

It's always fraught because it's unlikely we pick the same players but you'd have to think Jeremy Sharp is one we would have picked up. There's a fair bit of hype around him but he hasn't done loads with the Suns just yet.

The burning question is would we have picked up Mitch Georgiades with the pick Geelong used on Cooper Stevens... We also gave up a pick in the '30s and Chad Warner was taken at 39... Being a local lad I guess increases the chances we take him (same with MG).

The first-round pick in 2020 doesn't seem to have cost a whole lot. Ryan Angwin was the actual pick, but whether we took him or someone in the vicinity of him, it doesn't look like there was a load of talent we missed the chance to grab.

Tim Kelly has been pretty good without tearing things up. We've certainly been on the wrong end of the overall trade but not as far as people consider. For all the complaining on here, I think he's still finished top five in each year of our board's POTY.

Yeah would be really interesting to see where we rated Georgiades or Warner. I know we were into Odriscoll as well which was the Angwin pick. However, if you take it on face value Stephens, Sharp and Angwin isn’t a huge loss for Kelly. Recognizing as well that it’s still early in their career and they may develop. Plus we may end up with Sharp as well if Freo can’t get him in.

Yeah would be really interesting to see where we rated Georgiades or Warner. I know we were into Odriscoll as well which was the Angwin pick. However, if you take it on face value Stephens, Sharp and Angwin isn’t a huge loss for Kelly. Recognizing as well that it’s still early in their career and they may develop. Plus we may end up with Sharp as well if Freo can’t get him in.

Agree with everything you are saying (i.e. what was actually picked does not equate to the value paid).... but....

If you are trading Kelly, even today (3 years later, 3 years older) - you would have to throw in at least a 1st rounder with those 3 players to get fair value.

If we are holding Kelly up against those 3 players (rather than the best 2-3 players who were actually available at the pick) we have made out like Bandits. Kelly has been very good, but not elite, for us. The other 3 are all looking less and less likely to be AFL players within a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, we've done really well in recouping some great draft capital of late to help rebuild. It's pretty awesome we now have 4 picks inside top 26, and next year looks almost as strong in terms of capital.

I guess, the TK trade was really compounded by Veneables and Brander, almost 4 years of no early talent on our list. Media always just mention we gave up too much in that trade but forget we had a really hard luck story with another first round selection and the other was just a bad pick by us.

Last edited:
Agree, we've done really well in recouping some great draft capital of late to help rebuild. It's pretty awesome we now have 4 picks inside top 26, and next year looks almost as strong in terms of capital.

I guess, the TK trade was really compounded by Veneables and Brander, almost 4 years of no early talent on our list. Media always just mention we gave up too much in that trade but forget we had a really hard luck story with another first round selection and the other was just a bad pick by us.

Venables would be playing on ball for us now.

And if we never drafted brander we get Kelly at our pick 2 year.

I wonder how Brander feels about not taking that contract with us last year

Was he offered a contract?

I’m not sure if he was actually offered a contract but it was his decision to put off talks mid way during 2021 at a time when he was getting regular games and looked to actually be making progress in his development

I’m not sure if he was actually offered a contract but it was his decision to put off talks mid way during 2021 at a time when he was getting regular games and looked to actually be making progress in his development
I still haven't got my head around his career finally showing signs of life in early 2021 and then regressed just as quick.

His performances for about a six-week period were comfortably best 22. At that stage it was like "yep, here we go, it's on, this guy is looking pretty good out there"... Then he had one (or two?) poor game(s), injured in the next one... "Ok little set back but he he's shown he is AFL level this year"... but there was just zero fight from the setback.

Edit: correction, not injured in the next one. Missed the Carlton game with injury after two poor performances. Point remains the same - his career would be a lot easier to understand without those games from round 3 to 9 in 2021.

Last edited:
Barnett is also the best player in his position

I really like Barnett, and I know this sounds silly. But he's only 202cm, for a primary ruckman it's on the lower end unless you have an great leap.
If he was 204cm, I would take him in a heartbeat. This is the modern size for a primary ruck.

As a ruck/fwd he's perfect size, but we have enough of them.

Around the ground he is a very very good, especially contested mark. His tap work is ok, he seems to halve a contest than win it outright. At the champs with the exception of Knobel, most other rucks were his size - at AFL level they'll be 204-210cm.

I wouldn't take him based on this, I'm more in the camp of try get a Broadbent later in the draft.

I still haven't got my head around his career finally showing signs of life in early 2021 and then regressed just as quick.

His performances for about a six-week period were comfortably best 22. At that stage it was like "yep, here we go, it's on, this guy is looking pretty good out there"... Then he had one (or two?) poor game(s), injured in the next one... "Ok little set back but he he's shown he is AFL level this year"... but there was just zero fight from the setback.

Edit: correction, not injured in the next one. Missed the Carlton game with injury after two poor performances. Point remains the same - his career would be a lot easier to understand without those games from round 3 to 9 in 2021.

Unfortunately I think it was all in his head, just didn’t have the toughness mentally to go hard enough when required and fight for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back