List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
This is the first time I can recall a players character being called into question for not asking to be traded while under contract.
Yeah, cmon. That’s hall of fame of BigFooty nuffie territory - how dare he be loyal

I don't believe that if he gets minimal games this year and he is in the outer at selection that he will want to remain in Brisbane

Nor do I believe that he would get a monetarily superior contractual offer for Brisbane compared to what we could offer him even if he did chose to remain

Which means that if next year goes to prediction, he spends the bulk of the year in the VFL, players minimal senior football, finishes the year uncontracted and largely unproven at senior level and will be asking uncle Nesbitt for a ticket back home to continue to chase his AFL dream

Which he could have already had this coming year, if he had really wanted it. But to me, he is trying to sneak into a premiership team (and i don't believe that will happen either)

Which leaves us as his fall back plan at the end of 2023. And personally, that iriates me. If he wants to actively come to us (which could have happened this year), great. But we shouldn't be his safety net to fall back on when he isn't playing regular senior football at Brisbane
You're assuming he isn't playing regularly.

I recon he is a easily best 22 in the lions. He is versatile. He has a hard nose for contested ball, he can run on the wing, play back. He will be Mr Fixit in tight games this year. You're about to see his talent shine.

If I'm wrong then he's not worth chasing. If I'm right it's going to cost us.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s “or” not “and”.
To be fair, the post he quoted said “and”

I took the meaning as being ‘or’ but I can understand why beanie would choose to clarify it

PM Bangers claiming Hewitts best is Petracca like. I hope we don’t pass on him at 13. Take the risk that we can get the best out of him.
Reading lots of forums I’m thinking Poo to Bombers, Humphrey to Suns, Tsatas to Hawks, Clarke to Cats.

Means we go
9. Ginbey or McKenzie
13. Hewitt or Hollands

21&26. Then I’m hoping 2 of
Hotton,Barnett,Allan, Burgiel , Ryan, Clarke, Jones or Hustwaite.

All of these guys can play roles for us.

Bait to help lure his brother perhaps?
Seriously though. Looks like he'll be a pretty big bodied mid. No idea on game style though.
I saw a draft watcher call him a big bodied mid, he's definitely not. He's more a flanker size. His game vs SA was very ordinary, lots of errors.

PM Bangers claiming Hewitts best is Petracca like. I hope we don’t pass on him at 13. Take the risk that we can get the best out of him.
Reading lots of forums I’m thinking Poo to Bombers, Humphrey to Suns, Tsatas to Hawks, Clarke to Cats.

Means we go
9. Ginbey or McKenzie
13. Hewitt or Hollands

21&26. Then I’m hoping 2 of
Hotton,Barnett,Allan, Burgiel , Ryan, Clarke, Jones or Hustwaite.

All of these guys can play roles for us.
We all saw it vs Vic Metro, absolutely sensational.
But his two following games were way off that, and his final game was quite good.
Strange as he was ultra consistent last season.

We all saw it vs Vic Metro, absolutely sensational.
But his two following games were way off that, and his final game was quite good.
Strange as he was ultra consistent last season.
Yeah after that vic metro game he would have been top 5 calculations. Was quite a game.

Like I say hopefully we can back ourselves in to get the best out of the kid if he’s still there at 13. 👍🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a draft watcher call him a big bodied mid, he's definitely not. He's more a flanker size. His game vs SA was very ordinary, lots of errors.
Eeeeeek...That doesn't sound promising.
I thought he looked like he's got a good frame (to fill out) from the WAFL pic but he's only 72kgs currently

Regardless it doesn't make for good reading.
1668934033943.png

Thought the crows would be sniffing around. They would have to give up more than just there future 1st.
As it’s been said numerous times if the Poo was several days younger he would be easily top 5 next year anyway so what are the crows going to give up or have to give.

1668936378328.png

That’s next years current draft hand. Crows could give up future 1st and a future 2nd. Potentially 5 & 19 (think that pick is tied to nth) for 8 or 12 if the poo was there any interest? Pick 2,5,19,21,27,40,46 would make next years off season fun!!!!!
Reckon interest is building on the poo so may be off the board by our picks anyway.

What cultures that then???
The one that had a player fail a drug test, get a two year ban, get caught with drugs at the airport and then return without a penalty from the club who has now left?
Or the one that has the hippie club crew go against instructions and say f it we are bigger than asked we will do what we want?
Or the one that encourages poor performance, poor preparation , poor fitness and has an excuse for everything that goes against them to try and deflect any criticism coming their way??

I wouldn’t be sprouting out about how good the eagles culture and how brilliant our playing group are at enforcing standards anytime soon.
What cultures that then???
The one that had a player fail a drug test, get a two year ban, get caught with drugs at the airport and then return without a penalty from the club who has now left?
Or the one that has the hippie club crew go against instructions and say f it we are bigger than asked we will do what we want?
Or the one that encourages poor performance, poor preparation , poor fitness and has an excuse for everything that goes against them to try and deflect any criticism coming their way??

I wouldn’t be sprouting out about how good the eagles culture and how brilliant our playing group are at enforcing standards anytime soon.

I think you fail to see the point but I’ll be happy to have this conversation with you.

I’m happy the club have a culture that’s strong enough to stand by an individual that’s made bad choices in his life to further help them to overcome it. We stood by Junior just like we stood by Murray Newman. When we draft a young man we become custodians of them in a way, make no mistake about it.

Both made foolish choices in the heat of the moment but instead of burying our heads in the sand or cutting ties immediately we offered both of them support and a path back to football. That’s what good football clubs do. If the AFL cut ties with every individual who stepped foot out of line then there would be half the players in the competition and players like Jack Darling would never be drafted. Culture is not just standards which you seem to be confused about.

As for the young boys in the nightclub they broke no official rules. We asked the playing group to be more sensible and not put themselves in precarious positions due to the state of the playing list. So a few young boys didn’t listen. Not the first time young men “snuck” out. You make it sound like they broke curfew in Nazi occupied Poland.

AFLPA and media were not impressed we sanctioned them at all and funny enough the oldest of the boys who went out paid a hefty price when he didn’t get another contract for next year. I think it was handled appropriately.

As for your last rant about performances I can hardly fathom the strength to argue with someone who is clearly cantankerous but I’ve seen no encouragement as you say.
We’re not one to throw the baby out with the bath water and react in haste after a bad year or two and let me ask you. How has that turned out so far?

Oh that’s right 4 premierships from 7 grand finals and finals 25 out of 34 years with no longer than 3 years consecutively out of finals.

If it was up to you we would have probably sacked Simpson after 2017, Worsfold after 2010 and Nisbett ten years ago.

No I’m quite comfortable with our culture thanks very much.

A family club who has a proud history of sustained success, a club that stands up against racism and has been at the forefront of that for a long time, a club that is loyal to its players and workforce, a club that has turned itself into the richest sporting organisation in Australia, a club that offers support and welfare to players who make mistakes.

I’m fine with our culture thanks.

Last edited:
I’d be waiting until next year to grab that first from GC. We have a stacked hand next year & apparently they have 4 or 5 academy kids looking the good that will need to be matched with points so that first will be on the table.

Seems like a waste of pick 12 when we could bundle picks next year & grab that first anyway.
No chance. That 1st rounder is off the table already.
Apparently on it's way to Geelong, along with Ben King, for Geelong's 3rd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back