Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the whole game until I turned it on about 6 minutes into the last quarter just in time to see us slam on 5 unanswered goals and 7 of 8 to walk away with the win. Not sure what it was like up till that point but geez I was glad I was able to watch the last 20 minutes!

Westy was a massive spark plug, so clean with the ball when he gets a chance and great tackling pressure, hope he can make it into the 22 next week. Look forward to go back and watch the rest of the game on replay. Huge win in the context of the season. We just couldn’t afford to drop that one with Collingwood to come next week.

Well done boys!

Stats might say otherwise but cmon that’s one of the worst forward lines in the comp
Dude you're approaching MD levels of hate. Our defence played well with Jones, Ed and JJ all out. Enjoy the win congratulate the boys that played. Freo are a rising team.

Very happy with the last qtr, much much improved.

Yeah I know I’m a bit over the top but geez you can’t be happy with that can you? Freo are ****ing shite, genuinely really bad.

I still didn’t see anything today to even slightly change my mind that we can beat a good team.

But…. A win is always a good time so going to thoroughly enjoy that one

Stats might say otherwise but cmon that’s one of the worst forward lines in the comp
This place confuses me know end.

I never know whether stats are the metric that all games are judged by or not.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes they aren't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude you're approaching MD levels of hate. Our defence played well with Jones, Ed and JJ all out. Enjoy the win congratulate the boys that played. Freo are a rising team.
😂 yeah nah I’m realistic, we’re definitely undermanned down back no doubt but I would not say our defence played well at all. Freo are not rising, they are middle of the park trash and we let them bully us for most of the game.

I’m stoked with the win, genuinely - but I saw nothing today that makes me think we should be competing at the top, where we absolutely should be. That’s cool be happy with 7th if you wish that’s up to you :)

Has a free kick ever sapped so much momentum from a team as that Luke Ryan? At least according to Freo fans, it was the single reason for the next 6 goals and why they lost.
He was never in a position to mark that ball.

I dont understand how barely touching the ball when it had gone past him made it a realistic attempt.

Freo pulled their first 2 goals out of their arse, but it gave them momentum and they looked the better side for large periods. Almost as if we flicked a switch late with that Lobb goal. Big moment that.

Liked our fwd line today, it finally had some cohesion.

Freo’s transition was still way too easy coming out of the back half. If they had a really damaging wing, it could’ve got very messy. Opponents a kick out from their fwd 50 can’t be given that much room consistently.

JUH was awesome and better signs with Naughty as the game wore on. Maybe starting him a little up the ground like today is best.

O’Donnell will be a player (just leave him in that position ffs) and Poulter did enough to persevere with.

He was never in a position to mark that ball.

I dont understand how barely touching the ball when it had gone past him made it a realistic attempt.
Ironically we had a free kick paid against us in the VFL for an identical scenario a couple weeks back. Our bloke went for a speccy, got a decent touch on the ball, and was pinged for unrealistic attempt

Keep west as the super sub. Massive impact in the last quarter.

I don’t think it’s particularly smart keeping the same player as sub for extended periods of time except maybe finals.

We saw McNeil play really well as sub earlier in the year (against Freo as well possibly) and after three or four weeks of performing the role he’d lost all touch and form. Think you need to be rotating that position.

A much needed win with two tough games ahead, and we delivered. Particularly with other results going in our favour this weekend. Able to break the trend of teams losing coming off a bye.

Never thought I would see us kick so accurately, so that was the most pleasing aspect today (Even the VFL team is 13.2 at 3Q time WTF?). Should have put a decent gap between us and them in the first 20 minutes. But we failed to capitalize and then let them back in, and it was a back and forth momentum changes for the middle two quarters. Opened the game up in the last when we needed to, and showed how we can play when we are on. Loved seeing us hitting targets or placing the ball in better positions inside 50.

Treloar a tackling machine today. Despite some criticism of him early on in the game day thread. Thought Poulter had a solid debut, zero clangers, positioning and effort were very good, he just needed to find it a little more. O'Donnell was great in the first half, playing that third defender/intercept role.

Daniel had some key moments in defence, I think he took a couple of marks in the 3rd when they threatened. Dale continues his recent surge after a quiet start to the season.

But the main guy today. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. His lead work and marking has been exceptional for most of the year. He has really stepped up another notch this season in that department. We will start to consistently see more bags from him in the future if he keeps it up.

The next two weeks will really show where we sit amongst the rest heading into the final games of the season.

Last edited:
What a ******* last quarter that was - Rhylee West had a crucial impact in the last - he has to be in the 22 from now on

Jamarra is a superstar, his development this season has been unreal to watch

16.6 is unusual sight for this team but * me it’s good to see

Surely West deserves an actual game vs. some of the complete chaff that we've been giving games after that 5 minute burst.
Perhaps a role as last quarter sub is actually a good fit for West.

He definitely had an impact which he doesn't often do over 4 quarters.

Theory: His lack of pace is much less of an issue in the 4th quarter when the opposition are tiring which levels things up for him. His concentration levels are also able to be maintained through one quarter of football against a fatigued opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back