List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
So far it's never worked out that way. You give a kid $700k a year and then at 25 tell him he's worth $500k and he's already got a lifestyle set up that needs more. Managers then flap their arms and threaten to move them. It's the ridiculous thing about the minimum spend. It stuffs up the developing clubs and the less good older talent you have the worse it is.

I guess if I use that argument, Hanners and Hill were good moves because they took a lot of money that would have been distributed down.

Brisbane signed up guys like Hipwood to keep them up there. He was on some mega long deal that tied up cash and for a while it looked like insanity but he's got back and it looks reasonable again.

If Gresham bounces back from injury and has a full preseason he could look every bit a $700k player again really quickly.

Guys like Howard, Snags and Butler are on very healthy contracts because we had to tempt them over but that's how the system works.
I've been saying this all year and people have been telling me that footballers are used to getting smaller deals "all the time". I agree with you about the minimum spend because it impairs the relationship with the club if a good player can't at least match their existing deal when they should be in their prime.

That said, I don't remember Gresh not doing a full preseason this year or being injured, more likely I would attribute his shit year due to what happens above the shoulders.

At band 3, we're matching all day long, let him have a great year next year, and either things come together and we're holding hands loving life, or he still wants to go and we get a good trade for him.

At band 2, I think we still match. Band 1, let me call the Uber.

I'm not as upset as others when it comes to players playing good football elsewhere, I think that's a good thing, who 2ants players dying on the vine at your club - it's a fast way to letting the rot set in.

Caveat Emptor.

Do not touch.

I'd be having a good look at him. Sounds like he needs someone to take him under their wing and try to get him straight. DeGoey and Dusty were apparently too much trouble and not worth it either.

AFL should officially rebadge the week after the Grand Final as the Week of Madness.

Kicks off with Mad Monday, and is quickly followed by 5 days of mad rumours from the comedians pretending to be ITK media personalities.

You know the sort of thing - Gresham on $800K, Oliver to be traded, everyone to Essendon, Lycett signing a 5 year deal etc etc.

We were a couple of wins off top 4 as it is. I'd rather not sell the farm for a top 4 possie. Any of the deals Melbourne would accept would sabotage our long term growth strategy, just for one player.

We should be doing what Melbourne are doing. That's what good clubs do. Sacrifice one player that most of the league would offer stupid money for to get, bring in a draft haul. One step back, three steps forward.

What's the strategy?- to hope that we can find a player like Oliver in the draft. We are mid table so aren't looking at picking the best talent at the top of the draft. Lethlean's upside down plan means we are trying to back fill at the draft instead of topping up with alternative path players.

You just have to go for it when talent comes up. We need to get in on any elite talent that wants to move IMO. We have a few years left with Sinclair and Marshall types and then we are back to needing another rebuild.

I've been saying this all year and people have been telling me that footballers are used to getting smaller deals "all the time". I agree with you about the minimum spend because it impairs the relationship with the club if a good player can't at least match their existing deal when they should be in their prime.

That said, I don't remember Gresh not doing a full preseason this year or being injured, more likely I would attribute his s**t year due to what happens above the shoulders.

At band 3, we're matching all day long, let him have a great year next year, and either things come together and we're holding hands loving life, or he still wants to go and we get a good trade for him.

At band 2, I think we still match. Band 1, let me call the Uber.

I'm not as upset as others when it comes to players playing good football elsewhere, I think that's a good thing, who 2ants players dying on the vine at your club - it's a fast way to letting the rot set in.

He had a bad year for sure, before injury last year he was looking great. He's definitely been injured but struggled to play Lyon's plan early as well.

To think we have the leadership to deal with this, and not the premiership side that has apparently spent 18 months trying to deal with this, is hubristic.
And the award for the first use of the word "Hubristic" on the Big Footy Forum goes to .........

"sunny3193"

images.jpg

infection from tattooing himself... yeh i'd wanna be doing some serious background checks... not sure weve been across it long enough in order to do that

Didn’t JWeb tattoo a thong onto his own foot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW this is Jorden DeGoey over again.

He is a game winner, an incredible midfielder and exactly what we need.

I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at him just like we should have for JDG
I get what you’re saying but let’s not forget DeGoey was a free agent who would have cost us no draft picks.

Folks are already talking 3 first rounders for Oliver.

Given he has some issues, I think it’s reasonable to question whether we should go down that track regardless of his obvious abilities.

If we get Oliver I feel our whole strategy changes, we'd probably look to top with a few older players like Collingwood did last season
Test Form GIF by Ros na Rún

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie will benefit from a full preseason, this year was a bit of a write off!
I agree but getting a game in the midfield as a young player in their second year is a big ask.

Is he philippou level of special? That’s what it takes to get games not even in the mid but just playing forward for most of the season.

If last year was a write off this is his first year. Mitch was similar but again he’s the exception.

I’m seeing Ollie as a good prospect and could become a player but right now he’s just another draftee to me.

Article reads as if he is unhinged.

Drug rumors...
Unhinged behavior...
Plays the pokies...

3C9A0B99-EB81-4EA4-AE6B-21FD3693ADA1-234x300.jpeg

But he can play footy... hmmm

Last edited:
Clarence is like a rebuild portal, beyond even Lethleans shitty control.

5 years on the bottom, starting 2025, 2030 is when we start coming good and then start stockpiling future draft capital for the father son empire.

First flag 2032, aiming for 5 before 2040.

Most of us dead by then, but still.

Lethlean's rebuild model was upside down. It's put us in a mediocrity cycle where we are too good to bottom out and not good enough to challenge. To break it we have to find alternative ways to get elite talent in. We will be more attractive to other players with a better ist too.

To think we have the leadership to deal with this, and not the premiership side that has apparently spent 18 months trying to deal with this, is hubristic.

Their coach is looser than the players.

Would love to have Oliver but it would be a huge risk considering it'd need a least 2 first rounders.

We have 2 shit firsts. Clark and Coff were 7 and 8. We have 12 and maybe 13 or 20. If you got him for that you'd take it and run. Stocker was pick around that. Dow was pick 2. The draft is a ticket in the lottery. The higher the pick the more likely the chance of a gun.

Doing more then nose beers if you decide giving yourself a tattoo is the greatest idea.

Stick and poke tattoos are a huge thing apparently. I met a lady who does tattoo removal and she was saying she gets hundreds of kids every week that have done home tats.

I will say though we are a prissy little bunch

You've got guys in other sports having murdered people and still playing, yet we're losing our minds over Oliver playing the pokies and getting tattoos ffs

The reason that it's not a smart deal is clearly there's serious issues if a club is willing to let go of one of the best players in the competition. So there's that. Secondly, we are kidding ourselves if we think we have the leadership to manage something like that. We are nowhere near it at the moment. Collingwood, Brisbane maybe. Not us.

Third it would go against our model of hitting the draft and acquiring picks, as to bring Oliver across would likely require multiple high end picks.

It's a no on every front and we are brain-dead to consider it but can't say I'm surprised unfortunately lol

We have 2 s**t firsts. Clark and Coff were 7 and 8. We have 12 and maybe 13 or 20. If you got him for that you'd take it and run. Stocker was pick around that. Dow was pick 2. The draft is a ticket in the lottery. The higher the pick the more likely the chance of a gun.
We'd have to be having a serious crack at him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back