Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos on the website:

Going by that it looks like blue was basically the AFL players and pink the VFL players. Mullin and Knevitt the only fringe guys from last year I saw in blue. Bowes, Mannagh, Clark and Neale in pink of the guys who might be best 22. Could've been switching around though.

If you are old enough to have seen Gaz Sr and this is still your take I will accept it..... But Gaz Sr is way better than Joel or Patty at playing football, and thats what the greatest list should be about. Ps. Don't come at me Joel and Patty are probably my favourite payers of the last 20 years.
Senior had far more talent than both. Perform every AFL skill better than both.

Who's the most talented? Senior by length of the straight........ but I'm not sure senior got the best out of his team.

Who do I want to watch? Senior. Who do I want to make a team better? Selwood every day of the week.

Do you include leadership and if they make the team better in greatest ever? Then Selwood is probably my no.1

If it's just on talent - then senior was more spectacular at times but I think GAJ is the best footballer I've seen.

The best premiership teams are always very good defensively. Defensive football wins premierships.
That is a fallacy.

Football is cyclical, at some points in the cycle you can’t win without scoring big, at other points in the cycle you need to keep the opposition under 80 points to win.

The best teams are nearly always good at keeping the opposition to a low score comparative to the rest of the league, but that doesn’t necessarily make them defensive. And it is rare that “defensive football” wins premierships. Premierships are nearly always won by the best all around team, not a defensive team.

Photos on the website:

Going by that it looks like blue was basically the AFL players and pink the VFL players. Mullin and Knevitt the only fringe guys from last year I saw in blue. Bowes, Mannagh, Clark and Neale in pink of the guys who might be best 22. Could've been switching around though.
Might have been changing things up, report from Cleary days Neale was part of the same forward structure as Cameron and Hawkins

I was able to attend todays match sim at deakin.

Players had the match sim for about 1.5 hours, they then went into some straight running and finished with some skill drills moving the ball with the aim not to hit the ground

Match sim
Blue team was the main team and Pink the opposition.
Blue team was mainly danger cuthrie and atkins in the middle. Danger getting most of the clearances. Miers had a small go through there aswell.
Stanley the ruck. He looked pretty good, took some nice overhead marks around the ground.

No Stewart in the midfield at all.

Conway on the Pink team and was quiet, but main thing with him is he was out there.

As noted above Parfitt, Blitz and Rohan took no part and i saw them leave early.

Stengle was the only player I did not see there at all. Hopefully nothing major wrong with him, but one to watch.

Chris scott was also absent.

Tuohy was in the blue team and pretty much stuck to the wing.

Bews in the Pink team

Mannagh, Clark, O'Sullivan in blue. Mannagh reminds me a bit of Higgins, probably before he came to us, smooth mover and good kick, played mainly half forward. O'Sullivan was pretty good in defence.

Neale deep forward with Hawkins and Jezza a bit higher up in the blue team. Hawkins hasnt lost his foot skills in general play and Jezza looked up and about.

Overall they all looked pretty good and fit. Only concerns are Blitz, Rohan and Parfitt with Stengle hopefully not hurt either.
Get a feeling it could be a long year for Rohan and Blitz could be in some doubt for the start of the season too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parfitt- ankle concern? What severity?
He walked out to the huddle on the ground at half time. I did miss the first quarter so not sure if he did it today. No crutches, didn't seem to be limping and then after that he left, probably to head back and rehab at gmhba. Hopefully just a roll or low strain.

He walked out to the huddle on the ground at half time. I did miss the first quarter so not sure if he did it today. No crutches, didn't seem to be limping and then after that he left, probably to head back and rehab at gmhba. Hopefully just a roll or low strain.
Thank you.
One of several players who does not want a setback this preseason.

I was able to attend todays match sim at deakin.

Players had the match sim for about 1.5 hours, they then went into some straight running and finished with some skill drills moving the ball with the aim not to hit the ground

Match sim
Blue team was the main team and Pink the opposition.
Blue team was mainly danger cuthrie and atkins in the middle. Danger getting most of the clearances. Miers had a small go through there aswell.
Stanley the ruck. He looked pretty good, took some nice overhead marks around the ground.

No Stewart in the midfield at all.

Conway on the Pink team and was quiet, but main thing with him is he was out there.

As noted above Parfitt, Blitz and Rohan took no part and i saw them leave early.

Stengle was the only player I did not see there at all. Hopefully nothing major wrong with him, but one to watch.

Chris scott was also absent.

Tuohy was in the blue team and pretty much stuck to the wing.

Bews in the Pink team

Mannagh, Clark, O'Sullivan in blue. Mannagh reminds me a bit of Higgins, probably before he came to us, smooth mover and good kick, played mainly half forward. O'Sullivan was pretty good in defence.

Neale deep forward with Hawkins and Jezza a bit higher up in the blue team. Hawkins hasnt lost his foot skills in general play and Jezza looked up and about.

Overall they all looked pretty good and fit. Only concerns are Blitz, Rohan and Parfitt with Stengle hopefully not hurt either.
Get a feeling it could be a long year for Rohan and Blitz could be in some doubt for the start of the season too.
Great review!

Fingers crossed if Stanley, Danger, C Guthrie, Atkins, Holmes, Bruhn, etc are fully fit for round 1 then missing Blics for a couple of weeks won't hurt too much. Good chance for Neale to get his opportunity.

I'd be building Conway up in the VFL for the first month. Probably Clark too. Just build them into the season and then get them involved when they've got some confidence in their body.

If you are old enough to have seen Gaz Sr and this is still your take I will accept it..... But Gaz Sr is way better than Joel or Patty at playing football, and thats what the greatest list should be about. Ps. Don't come at me Joel and Patty are probably my favourite payers of the last 20 years.
I only saw him as a young kid (born 91). Was my fav player then of course but I was a kid lol. But cats weren't the best until my teens.

Poor guy playing in three grand finals and not taking a medallion home.

Last edited:
Cam Guthrie pumps up Max Holmes.

If you combined Selwood and Dangerfield you still may not match Ablett senior.

When people start trotting out "Ablett wasn't a team player" it's like they've listened to throwaway lines from opposition fans and never paid any other attention. Total and complete myth. He was a little undisciplined in his early years - like many, many other players of the time at Geelong and elsewhere. But as he matured he was absolutely a team player.

Happy to read today that Danger has stated we have dropped from 3 main training sessions per week to 2 because we are pushing our amount of high speed running 4x… and we need more time to recover from the much higher amount of high speed training.

This is being done to try to bullet proof our bodies for the speed of todays game.

Makes complete sense to me.

Hopefully we are super fast… but also have the endurance we require.

As per usual… time will tell, but I think it’s a good move.
Mentioned it previously, but with the way things appear to be going it wouldn't surprise me at all if we started like a house on fire (ala 2019)

It feels like the players have been ready to go for a month, and yet we've still got another 6 long weeks to go.

It's a very different approach for us with the longer pre-season, and what appears to be a super fit, determined, and most importantly, healthy group.

Now, starting on fire can create its own set of problems too. We want to be the best side in July, August and September rather than March, April and May.

With that being said, I'll back the club to put the right programs in place that we won't be running out of puff when it matters.

Collingwood and recently Melbourne too have bucked the trend in terms of sitting on top all year, so it's an issue that's probably a bit exaggerated in its importance.

Ourselves in 2022, and the Richmond and Hawthorn dynasties have fudged the numbers a bit there recently.

I guess this could be the Gary Ablett Jnr vs Snr argument... For me the greatest players pulled and inspire their team over the line to win premierships and it contributes to the aurora. For me it puts Joel Selwood (3 premierships and captain) above Patrick Dangerfield (1 premiership and captain).

Gary Ablett senior probably had more ability than jnr. This might be off the mark - But off limited viewing i'd say he wasn't as much of a leader or team player than Jnr.

This kind of flys in the face of my post about Mathew Pavlich, but anyway...
Interesting. I like the idea of leadership being part of what we use to define the best players. But there are just so many other things that go into whether someone has won Premierships that are out of their control. Selwood was amazing. And he was also very lucky to land at the Cats when he did with such a brilliant team and club around him across the course of his career. Anyway, it's interesting how different people rate this stuff and all valid and thanks for offering me a different perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back