Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just a pipedream and impossible to get close to predicting despite the talent.

It'd take a mighty effort to convince me that anybody could EVER overtake his old man.

SNR had everything.
Agree.
Senior for me.

My all-time top 10

Senior
Carey
Junior
Lethal
Farmer
Scarlett
Hird
Plugger
Diesel
Dusty

Last edited:

Happy to read today that Danger has stated we have dropped from 3 main training sessions per week to 2 because we are pushing our amount of high speed running 4x… and we need more time to recover from the much higher amount of high speed training.

This is being done to try to bullet proof our bodies for the speed of todays game.

Makes complete sense to me.

Hopefully we are super fast… but also have the endurance we require.

As per usual… time will tell, but I think it’s a good move.

My belief is the other way. 99% of kids drafted have always been the stars of their team. Defence was something they ran through on the way out to the centre.

It’s probably the major reason why younger teams really struggle
Exactly this.. I recall an interview with Paul Roos who said that the midfielders coming thru underage all are very good attacking, that the struggle is with teaching them to defend and team defensive structures. That it can take years to incorporate and team them these aspects and that some just don’t learn it.

Happy to read today that Danger has stated we have dropped from 3 main training sessions per week to 2 because we are pushing our amount of high speed running 4x… and we need more time to recover from the much higher amount of high speed training.

This is being done to try to bullet proof our bodies for the speed of todays game.

Really like this news. The game is not slowing down, at least not in terms of how teams go about constructing a winning score. So the more we can do to be agile, aggressive, and fundamentally attacking as a unit, the more chance we stand against some of the slicker sides going around.

Soon we'll see them jumping off skateboards going down a hill.

Thank goodness they're managing the risk of this somewhat, there would be a few hamstring injuries otherwise (still might be). Something was wrong last year with the risk management.

I think with endurance, training high speed will always help endurance, however training endurance won't help high speed.

Last edited:
Soon we'll see them jumping off skateboards going down a hill.

Thank goodness they're managing the risk of this somewhat, there would be a few hamstring injuries otherwise (still might be). Something was wrong last year with the risk management.

I think with endurance, training high speed will always help endurance, however training endurance won't help high speed.
I love the new training routine.

If you watch how collingwood and GWS play. The game is now all about playing at ferocious intensities for 100-200m bursts then recovering quickly and launching again.

There really is no space in our game at the moment for jogging around. You really need to be up and around stoppages either working your butt off to defend or working hard to transition. It’s all a game of high intensity battles at the coal face.

You look at collingwood and it’s not purely talent they won off.. they have an unbelievable high work rate that is based off burst and quickly recover footy that they just rinse and repeat all game that often allows them to score heavily in patches as well.

If opposition are trying to run the ball and transition it… I want to see 8-12 cats players absolutely mauling them and hunting them down till they choke that footy up.

Too often last year teams easily ran thru us with no pressure.. the amount of quality inside fifty entries into our defense was alarming.

Where's barry hall lol

On a side note - would Mathew Pavlich be considered top 5 of the greatest non premiership forward of all time ?
Nope. Too much of his career was in other positions. Its why I giggled when I saw people on reddit arguing that Pav > Hawkins as forwards. I would argue as players in general Hawkins is/was better than Pav, but as forwards Hawkins is superior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Too much of his career was in other positions. Its why I giggled when I saw people on reddit arguing that Pav > Hawkins as forwards. I would argue as players in general Hawkins is/was better than Pav, but as forwards Hawkins is superior.
My counter argument would be that despite Pav playing in other positions he's almost on par goal wise with Hawkins...

Both were great guys who showed supreme loyalty to their clubs (Pav to a fault).

Genuine question: what does being a Premiership player have to do with being on a list of best ever players?
I guess this could be the Gary Ablett Jnr vs Snr argument... For me the greatest players pulled and inspire their team over the line to win premierships and it contributes to the aurora. For me it puts Joel Selwood (3 premierships and captain) above Patrick Dangerfield (1 premiership and captain).

Gary Ablett senior probably had more ability than jnr. This might be off the mark - But off limited viewing i'd say he wasn't as much of a leader or team player than Jnr.

This kind of flys in the face of my post about Mathew Pavlich, but anyway...

Last edited:
Exactly this.. I recall an interview with Paul Roos who said that the midfielders coming thru underage all are very good attacking, that the struggle is with teaching them to defend and team defensive structures. That it can take years to incorporate and team them these aspects and that some just don’t learn it.
I would expect Paul Roos to say that. If he could he would make every game 4.8.32 to 4.6.30.

He never met a flair player that he didn’t want to turn into a dour back pocket.

Thank god he is out of the coaching ranks.

Genuine question: what does being a Premiership player have to do with being on a list of best ever players?
Not everything, but if you play premierships like Dusty did, not a lot more to say. Sadly, he was utterly brilliant in every GF I watched, and he is in my top 10 of all time.
Selwood very close.
But for sheer individual brilliance, he was not the sort of player that had ultimate wow factor and would make me go to a game week after week. Buddy Franklin very very close inho.

Last edited:
I would expect Paul Roos to say that. If he could he would make every game 4.8.32 to 4.6.30.

He never met a flair player that he didn’t want to turn into a dour back pocket.

Thank god he is out of the coaching ranks.
The best premiership teams are always very good defensively. Defensive football wins premierships.

I guess this could be the Gary Ablett Jnr vs Snr argument... For me the greatest players pulled and inspire their team over the line to win premierships and it contributes to the aurora. For me it puts Joel Selwood (3 premierships and captain) above Patrick Dangerfield (1 premiership and captain).

Gary Ablett senior probably had more ability than jnr. This might be off the mark - But off limited viewing i'd say he wasn't as much of a leader or team player than Jnr.

Not to be picky but Joel has four premiership medals

If you are old enough to have seen Gaz Sr and this is still your take I will accept it..... But Gaz Sr is way better than Joel or Patty at playing football, and thats what the greatest list should be about. Ps. Don't come at me Joel and Patty are probably my favourite payers of the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back