Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew reading this last month would come in handy

Good little read and a counter to the use of "roster licker" being only a homophobic slur. The context is everything and commonly used offensive words no longer relate to their original, specific definition....

“That’s good evidence that the specific meaning of that word is falling away, because when people use it, they’re using it in these kind of generic ways.”

Anyway MOFO's let's all move on....

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Although I do think Clarko should have chosen his words better, there's an irony in him now being dragged for going into bat for * checks notes * a First Nations bloke who is his captain
Agree. He shouldn't have approached the oppo players and used those words, but Chris Scott only copped a suspended fine when he had words with the Brissie players I think it was.

Also, it makes me laugh when Buckley says the language is unacceptable and there should be punishment when I'm pretty sure he called one of his players the nickname "Lez" because he had a buzz cut. Not sure you're the moral police Nathan.

Agree. He shouldn't have approached the oppo players and used those words, but Chris Scott only copped a suspended fine when he had words with the Brissie players I think it was.

Also, it makes me laugh when Buckley says the language is unacceptable and there should be punishment when I'm pretty sure he called one of his players the nickname "Lez" because he had a buzz cut. Not sure you're the moral police Nathan.

I’m not sure anyone who has come out and criticised his choice of words should see themselves as any sort of moral arbiter.

The fact that he’s got into a verbal with an opposing player, as much as I love it, will draw some type of penalty.

If judgement is to be passed the full context should be disclosed. Seeing the coward hit on Jy moments earlier together with what the thug and his mate said to our coach is relevant. The emotion of seeing the hit is relevant to any response when you see the smug thug retorting to what our coach said. We are human we have emotions. The choice of words could have been different but seriously considering what had just occurred how this is a story is ridiculous. Jay’s career could have been ended. Brayshaw only announced his retirement days ago from something similar. This story should be solely about the thug hit and the disgusting family and their comments.

Took a quick survey around the office here in brisbane...no one aware of the context...."In your opinion would you consider the term "c....ks......r" homophobic language"? 100% of the survey (women included and 3 people with openly homosexual sons) said no. Now the sample size was relatively small (about 20). I then showed them the video of Jy getting hit and the context of Clarko's outburst, universal disbelief that is even an issue. I'd suggest some just want to reserve the right to be outraged at any and everything.

If I was playing and something similar happened I'd love my coach to show that much passion and back up his players after they'd also showed their displeasure at the incident. Much rather that than drop his head and slouch on by and then ask his players not to stand for it and do something about it. Shows he's part of the group and prepared to stand up with them.

Took a quick survey around the office here in brisbane...no one aware of the context...."In your opinion would you consider the term "c....ks......r" homophobic language"? 100% of the survey (women included and 3 people with openly homosexual sons) said no. Now the sample size was relatively small (about 20). I then showed them the video of Jy getting hit and the context of Clarko's outburst, universal disbelief that is even an issue. I'd suggest some just want to reserve the right to be outraged at any and everything.
a bit small? yea, 20 people who know you and probably the angle you're going with this and didn't actively seek to be part of a study probably is a bit small to draw anything conclusive from:p

Homophobic slurs are fine when you're really really upset?
I never said they were. The level of outcry and focus not being on the seriousness of the smug thug and his actions is what I find distasteful. When the context of them being said to the smug thug in the heat of the moment with no homophobic intent then a quiet chat or even a formal letter by the AFL to be kept on record is more than appropriate. The thugs families comments I find far far more concerning than Clarko’s yet no concern there! This was an atrocious act in in todays age with what is known of concussion and recent publicity. The smug attitude at quarter time and his families comments is what the media should be all over. If he was remorseful there wouldn’t have been any smugness at quarter time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn’t matter if your office doesn’t find it homophobic, it’s whether Robbo and Tom Morris do. They say it is, therefore it is.

Farking hell, go back to calling them rapists, they never seemed to be offended by that!
They are sensitive though about it.

Wife was barracking once and a pissed saints loser accused her of calling them rapists
She of course did not but the bloke got right in Mrs Bells face and rest as they say is headbutt history.

Being the shittest club in the AFL has sure turned them into a weird bunch of nobodies.

Has anyone asked Jimmy Webster if he was insulted, offended, felt the victim of homophobia or even in need of an apology, or are others being a victim on his behalf? Will Clarko getting punished make him feel better?

Indeed, so there are consequences for socially inappropriate behaviour, just like ….. the AFL
Before we had the religious telling us what was socially inappropriate until a large angry group had enough of being told what they can and cant do. Then that angry group tells us what we can and cant do. Go figure.

Has anyone asked Jimmy Webster if he was insulted, offended, felt the victim of homophobia or even in need of an apology, or are others being a victim on his behalf? Will Clarko getting punished make him feel better?

Luckily for everyone you don't have to be offended even if it's said to you directly.
Others will do it for you because they are born to whinge losers who thrive off loser shit like being offended for others.

Imagine if we had the maturity as a collective to say "that's a phrase that actually has more homophobic undertones than most of us realise, and it should be a good lesson for us all to re- think what is acceptable. Let's keep that in mind and move on with this new found wisdom". Then we could acknowledge Clarko's apology and get the * over it.

This is the sensible approach. I don't think it serves us well as a society to proceed down the road of slamming and punishing people over form rather than function/intention. He clearly didn't intend it in a homophobic manner, so let's not treat him as if he did. Plenty of decent people will continue to use it out of habit, without that intent, and I don't want to destroy them for it. Just point out to choose the words better next time and hope they learn. Preferably without detracting from the injustice they have just witnessed or experienced, if them using the word was a response to that.

At the same time recognise that what is a common insult for a lot of people in this country has some undertones that means we learn and remind ourselves to refrain from using it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back