Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Very, very interesting take. Unfortunately it's incorrect.

O.Henry averages 9 disposals a game this season. 3 are shots at goal, 3 are other score involvements (i.e score assists) and 3 are general disposals (finds a team mate and it does not result in a score). He's going at 1 direct goal assist a game - this is actually top 25 in the AFL.

He mostly plays deep forward, so I would say 90% more of his 3 shots a game are entirely justified. 2/3 of his possessions are ending up in scores and from that it's an equal split of shots himself and shots he creates for team mates.

Last year Henry was having 2.8 shots at goal, 5 score involvements and just 0.3 goal assists a game from his 10 disposals. So his playmaking for team mates has increased.
It is incredible there are still Ollie Henry truthers out there!

Kane Cornes raised a good point this morning on the AFL website roundup video that Danger might need to stop with the sprinting/hard running side of his game, slow his pace down, and become more of an endurance runner to protect his hamstrings.
yeah...nah Kane. To switch from predominantly fast twitch muscles to slow and vice versa takes years and is almost impossible. Like asking Bolt to become Kipchoge

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Kane Cornes raised a good point this morning on the AFL website roundup video that Danger might need to stop with the sprinting/hard running side of his game, slow his pace down, and become more of an endurance runner to protect his hamstrings.
If my memory serves me correctly, didn’t he play most of of the 2022 home and away season like this?
Then in the finals the sprint, Burst came back?
I could be remembering wrong.

Either way we need to manage him the same way we did in 2022.

yeah...nah Kane. To switch from predominantly fast twitch muscles to slow and vice versa takes years and is almost impossible. Like asking Bolt to become Kipchoge

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
You know that running at top speed is a choice right?

Should we be worried that kingy now has the Cats number 1 out of the “3” who he believes can win it?

To be fair, he was extremely bullish on us in 2022 when we started to click mid season. Whether that was because the Champion Data stats were saying so instead of his own eyes, I'm not sure!

To be fair, he was extremely bullish on us in 2022 when we started to click mid season. Whether that was because the Champion Data stats were saying so instead of his own eyes, I'm not sure!
I expected the narrative this morning would be ‘ blues undermanned and wasteful’, but king was actually pretty reasonable. Explained that plenty of the blues shots were from further out so they weren’t gimmes. And that the cats forced them to be further out. And that a fair few of our shots were from closer in- so more likely to be accurate. And that Carlton were focussed on curnow and McKay whereas we have a real spread of goalkickers. He really only said positive things about us. So there you go. Amaze balls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King can't help himself with the back handed compliment.
Second on his list but potting the Coach.

I think that quote is taken out of context - I saw him on that Fox Footy weekend wrap show with Huddo and Montagna last night, and King was extremely positive about Scotty. Essentially he said that we are where we are on the ladder entirely due to coaching, said Scott is the best coach in the comp by a mile, and called us the 'disarmers' because Scott aims to take away an opposition's strengths on a week to week basis. Maybe a backhander towards our playing group, but nonetheless he is a huge supporter of Scott.

Does anyone have inside 50 count for each quarter ?

Q1
Cats - 11
Blues - 17

Q2
Cats - 11
Blues - 17

Q3
Cats - 13
Blues - 17

Q4
Cats - 10
Blues - 15

Total
Cats - 45
Blues - 66

Q1
Cats - 11
Blues - 17

Q2
Cats - 11
Blues - 17

Q3
Cats - 13
Blues - 17

Q4
Cats - 10
Blues - 15

Total
Cats - 45
Blues - 66
Ok. Now pointless correlation maybe but…

Q1 won by 2 goals. (Lost I50 by 6)
Q2. Won by 7 points (lost I50 by 6)
Q3 lost by 8 points (lost i50 by 4)
Q4 won by 2 points (lost i50 by 5)

So the tipping point for our success is to lose clearances by 6 in a quarter…. If we lose by 5 it is touch and go and as soon as we improve to losing by 4 we get smashed!

I think that quote is taken out of context - I saw him on that Fox Footy weekend wrap show with Huddo and Montagna last night, and King was extremely positive about Scotty. Essentially he said that we are where we are on the ladder entirely due to coaching, said Scott is the best coach in the comp by a mile, and called us the 'disarmers' because Scott aims to take away an opposition's strengths on a week to week basis. Maybe a backhander towards our playing group, but nonetheless he is a huge supporter of Scott.
Now that King is on board we're about to drop all recognised ruckman because a scattering of rain aren't we?

It is incredible there are still Ollie Henry truthers out there!
Its not so much that - its simply Gary Rohan is still on the Geelong list and him and Ollie basically play the same position

If GR wasnt on the Geel list - there would be no debate or doubt whatsoever about OH , he is a forward and converts well , great goal % everything - he would be an absolute lock in the Geel senior side

However when push comes to shove , and its only my opinion , i still think Gary Rohan is a better player than Ollie Henry, and thus i would pick Gary ahead of him , thats just my view

As Harry Taylor said 2 years ago - wehen HT was the phys ed bloke , he said Rohan is lightning quick , the quickest bloke on the list , and as we all know hes got sticky fingers - can have short dangerous spells at FF where he is a hell of a match up for the FB , and he is a beautiful long accurate kick

And in other news or observations coming out of that Carlton game , Parfitt is definitely not the 2nd coming of Dennis Marshall , which some posters were suggesting last week

Why wont Scott give Mitch Hardie a game , 10 votes in the VFL Game 2 weeks ago and put the Texta pen right through Parfiits name

Its not so much that - its simply Gary Rohan is still on the Geelong list and him and Ollie basically play the same position

If GR wasnt on the Geel list - there would be no debate or doubt whatsoever about OH , he is a forward and converts well , great goal % everything - he would be an absolute lock in the Geel senior side

However when push comes to shove , and its only my opinion , i still think Gary Rohan is a better player than Ollie Henry, and thus i would pick Gary ahead of him , thats just my view

As Harry Taylor said 2 years ago - wehen HT was the phys ed bloke , he said Rohan is lightning quick , the quickest bloke on the list , and as we all know hes got sticky fingers - can have short dangerous spells at FF where he is a hell of a match up for the FB , and he is a beautiful long accurate kick

And in other news or observations coming out of that Carlton game , Parfitt is definitely not the 2nd coming of Dennis Marshall , which some posters were suggesting last week

Why wont Scott give Mitch Hardie a game , 10 votes in the VFL Game 2 weeks ago and put the Texta pen right through Parfiits name
Henry is top 10 in the AFL for combined goals/assists and his lifted his score involvement rate this season. He is completely undroppable.

Oh, okay, then he must be be thinking the coach can take us all the way from second favourite.

Just a weird way to put it (in my book thought he was throwing shade but happy to be wrong) :

King's Quote: It's just a matter of in my mind's eye, how far can the coach take you?”

Henry is top 10 in the AFL for combined goals/assists and his lifted his score involvement rate this season. He is completely undroppable.
If Ollie was still playing at Collingwood, or even a genuinely rebuilding club like Hawthorn or Norf, he'd be regarded as the next superstar of the game.

It's because he's here - playing second and third fiddle - that he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Many in the media not wanting to admit that Geelong has genuinely elite young talent plays a part too.

We talk about trading for JUH, Fogarty, or wanting a McDonald type on our list...we've got a better player than all of them in our own backyard.

Partnered with Neale and Jez, we're going to be fine. He's being perpetually underrated around here.

To be honest I don't see anyone on the media taking shots at Hawkins.

I'm not changing my opinion on when Hawkins is played based on two goal less games and a monsoon you can put a line through. I want to see how he goes against May, then give him a training run against Sav, I would hold him back from the Darwin trip to manage him, then play him against the Giants. That breaks the games record, manages his body, and gives him a few tests.

But what I will say is abundantly clear is that, while he has the tools to adapt and contribute to any game style we play, the back half rebounding game we're playing now absolutely doesn't suit him.

Go watch first crack with Kingy and Joey. Contrary to many opinions here they were effusive in their praise for Geelong and showed a ton of vision on how were rebounding to create space. That's not a game Hawkins can get involved in. It does seem to suit Neale, a 2m tall track and field athlete, to a tee though.

Once he breaks the record all options have to be on the table because we can't leave a potentially better tool in the shed.
He's had 3 goaless games in a row not 2. You might not count the rain affected Brisbane game but that type of weather usually brings out the best in Hawkins as ball handling is more important than ability to cover ground. I think May and/or Lever will take a bunch of intercept marks with Hawkins in his current form. I'd have Neale in this week at the MCG and Hawkins back in for the Port game at Geelong.

Last edited:
Oh, okay, then he must be be thinking the coach can take us all the way from second favourite.

Just a weird way to put it (in my book thought he was throwing shade but happy to be wrong) :

King's Quote: It's just a matter of in my mind's eye, how far can the coach take you?”
He is trying to say, we don't have the best players, but we do have the best coach. Is that enough to win you a flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back