Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Dogs v Swans Thu May 23rd 7:30pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not when it matters. Not since 2012.

Enjoy September. It’ll be a fun ride.
You make it hard to hate the bulldogs but I am not sure I will ever get past 2016.

The maddening thing about your team is that you can play electric football and you never give in; it is just a real shame the coach tells the players to duck and play for frees more than any other in the competition.

I didn’t watch the whole the game, but will grant that the 50 near the end was a joke. Though I would have put McLean as a great than 50% chance to convert from 55 out.

It was concerning to see us dominated so much around the contest and also lose our run near the end.

But always good to get a win at home. You need to win when you have a home crowd in such a tight competition. Wait, what? ;)

-34 in contested ball, -5 in clearances, -14 inside 50s

Your team has some great players, but finals will be interesting with that type of profile against a mid-tier team affected by injuries. Enjoy.
Why that and not any of the other games against top 8 / 4 teams? In any case, a down game resulted in a win. I'll take it.

The Bulldogs did a lot right tonight (contested work etc all top notch) but were worse in field kicking and putting away chances. Contrary to what some other supporter bases believe, a team with that profile isn't automatically the "better side".

Sydney are clinical and ruthless - traits that carry the best sides even when they are a bit off in some areas.

David king will say they deliberately lost contested, clearance and inside 50s, that’s how good the swans midfield is.
They are a bloody aggressive tackling team, I think they are coached better at tackling than winning the contested ball, I'm sure in an ideal world, longmire would want to win at both though.

Why would Beveridge only use 59 rotations when you've only got 2 players on the bench? Seems like mismanagement.
With the reduction in runners being allowed onto the field over the years, a lot of the time it is up to players to either come off when planned, or look up to the bench and see the board/card with a stop in play to head off.

Dogs outplayed us in general play and were unlucky with their injuries, but I'm not going to complain at 10-1. We looked tired at the end despite the extra players on the bench and the extra day break. Could also have just been thinking about the week off which we've often done before byes.

Some absolutely bizarre calls tonight. I personally thought the 50 against Darcy was there, but we were a bit fortunate with the one McLean got. Technically there if the umpire believed he had controlled the ball, but harsh nonetheless, and that frequently happens without 50 being paid. They might as well scrap holding the ball at this point, it's an absolute mess.

Simon Pegg Swan GIF by Working Title

No luck tonight doggies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs did a lot right tonight (contested work etc all top notch) but were worse in field kicking and putting away chances. Contrary to what some other supporter bases believe, a team with that profile isn't automatically the "better side".

Sydney are clinical and ruthless - traits that carry the best sides even when they are a bit off in some areas.

I don’t disagree. Effort, territory and possession doesn’t equal quality - and definitely not in team sports at this level. I’ve watched this bulldogs team (and variations on it) do the same for years and still lose because they can’t defend/kick goals/avoid stupid turnovers.

Sydney are clearly a better team. I’m just not sure they’re a flag winning team.

+33 contested without libba & 3 other injuries was a pretty good effort

No offence, but the game has moved on from this being an important stat. Contested possessions that lead to 3 under pressure handballs before a turnover while the other team holds their width…you get demolished.

pundits have to get over that stat

No offence, but the game has moved on from this being an important stat. Contested possessions that lead to 3 under pressure handballs before a turnover while the other team holds their width…you get demolished.

pundits have to get over that stat

Maybe. From memory Clarkson’s hawks didn’t value it that much and they did ok. Sydney are probably as best positioned as anyone to disregard it as a stat given their prowess in moving the ball by foot and punishing on turnover.

But I’d be interested to hear Longmire’s address to the players. He didn’t look happy that much and best guess is that’s why. Get beaten at the coalface in finals in that fashion means there’s not much margin for error, particularly against better defensive teams than the dogs.

Back