Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 12 - Pies v Dogs Fri May 31st 7:40pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine playing a team missing 5 of their best 10 players and rolling out the injury excuse when you lose.

Was amazing seeing the commentators discuss Collingwood's injuries for the 3000th time as the cameras showed Libba, Naughton, Richards and Weightman in the stands (no sign of Smith or Johannisen).

Also the Dogs being down 2 players early was glossed over pretty quick wasn't it.
Pies missing 3 of 5 top goalkickers for 2024. Dogs missing 2 of 5.
Pies missing 2 of top 3 goalkickers.
Dogs 1 of 3.
Screenshot_20240601-091015.png Screenshot_20240601-091043.png

That non call on Daicos was costly , instead of going two goals up, Collingwood get the next two. Possibly the worst umpiring call for the year. There are 3 umpires out there and not one of them deemed it a free. Outrageous.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
One of the worst umpiring blunders this year, I could only think because it was N. Daicos caught HTB 15 metres out from goal that they didn’t call it, was blatant.

First 4 and Elliott I agree. The others can be covered. LOL @ throwing in Richards and McInnes in there. I'll throw in Will Macabe for us if we're going to compare injured depth players.
All can be covered. But they all are better then current players and take away from our team. Although Richards was depth at the start of the season he probably would find himself in best 22 even with a full squad now. He was elite in many stats as well. Reef McInnes was averaging 1.8 goals a game before going off with concussion which projects out to 40+ goals a season so he was looking like a useful replacement. Most of the others you dismissed are important structurally as well. When you are missing 10+ players plus useful backup from your 23 it is tough to cover.

One of the worst umpiring blunders this year, I could only think because it was N. Daicos caught HTB 15 metres out from goal that they didn’t call it, was blatant.
The ball looked to be knocked out of his hands as the tackle was applied so I get that one. The 10 metre pass that resulted in a mark and goal was a momentum changer and a lot worse. Overall we lost fair and square though. Didn't change the result.

Imagine playing a team missing 5 of their best 10 players and rolling out the injury excuse when you lose.

Was amazing seeing the commentators discuss Collingwood's injuries for the 3000th time as the cameras showed Libba, Naughton, Richards and Weightman in the stands (no sign of Smith or Johannisen).

Also the Dogs being down 2 players early was glossed over pretty quick wasn't it.
Injuries and umpiring only impacts your own team. Never the other team.

The ball looked to be knocked out of his hands as the tackle was applied so I get that one. The 10 metre pass that resulted in a mark and goal was a momentum changer and a lot worse. Overall we lost fair and square though. Didn't change the result.
Dude, it was a howler. There's nothing more to say about it.

As was the short pass that was paid a mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Objectively I’d say we have around 3 superstar players, 7 or so good players, and then the rest average. Not that there is anything wrong with being average, below average etc.

Bulldogs only have 1 in that superstar / good player range.
I count 5 superstars - Charlie and Harry have Colemans, Cripps and Walsh in the centre, Weitering at FB.

Missing Libba, Richards and Naughton is pretty big, but Collingwood have a higher number out. I think this was a pretty good win because of the in game injuries, but the fact Collingwood were so close would cause some review at WO this weekend.
Weightman was our leading goalkicker when he went down. Huge loss.

Bailey Smith goes alright...

Carlton missing 11 of best 22 = pretenders

Pies missing 6 of best 22 = injury crisis

Gotta love Bigfooty.
Name the 11 best 22 Carlton were missing, and the 6 best 22 Collingwood are currently missing.

You are stating Carlton had twice as many best 22 players missing, so this should be good.

And if you include Doherty who we know is out all season, then Collingwood get to include Murphy who is out all season (and beyond) as a listed player to begin the year.

Collingwood's injury crisis is much worse than the Blues one they were crying about

Collingwood last night

Pendlebury
DeGoey
Mitchell
Mihocek
Elliott
McStay
Cox
Murphy (as relevant to 2024 discussions as Doherty is to Carlton)
WHE

Their two leading goal kickers, plus another KPF, a decent KPD, a ruckman/forward and 3 of their best 4 midfielders. One generic flanker/utility (WHE) who doesn't move the needle much. So they were missing most of their KPP structure and midfield. Daicos forced into midfield took away their best defensive rebounder too.

Carlton at its worst stage

Cerra
McGovern
Saad
Doherty
Martin
Fogarty
Fantasia
Motlop

Their third best midfielder, a decent KPD, 2 strong rebounders/runners and 4 forward flankers/pockets of average-decent quality. So some good rebounders, just-okay flankers and a good midfielder missing.

Collingwood's injury crisis is much worse than the Blues one they were crying about

Collingwood last night

Pendlebury
DeGoey
Mitchell
Mihocek
Elliott
McStay
Cox
WHE

Their two leading goal kickers, plus another KPF, a decent KPD, a ruckman/forward and 3 of their best 4 midfielders. One generic flanker/utility (WHE) who doesn't move the needle much. So they were missing most of their KPP structure and midfield. Daicos forced into midfield took away their best defensive rebounder too.

Cerra
McGovern
Saad
Doherty
Martin
Fogarty
Fantasia
Motlop

Their third best midfielder, a decent KPD, 2 strong rebounders/runners and 4 forward flankers/pockets of average-decent quality. So some good rebounders, just-okay flankers and a good midfielder missing.
Collingwoods injured players are all over 30 years old apart from McStay and DeGoey who are 28. The club decided to go into a season as the oldest playing list and now they are injured. Sorry, but you won't get any sympathy from any club in the AFL

Was interesting to watch the Collingwood presser, even though he coaches Collingwood McRae is very good at what he does.

Sycophantic reporters opened with two questions basically putting the loss down to injuries and McRae wasn't having it.

..."We lost because we didn't play four quarters, can't measure the impact of injuries so I look at what we can control..." (sic) Excellent work.

I am glad they lost :)

Collingwoods injured players are all over 30 years old apart from McStay and DeGoey who are 28. The club decided to go into a season as the oldest playing list and now they are injured. Sorry, but you won't get any sympathy from any club in the AFL
Yeah but they still really rely on those over 30s. That is unhealthy but for 2024 it is relevant.

As for the risk of those players getting injured and having no sympathy, I am fine with that. I just think structurally (KPPs), goal kicking wise (probably 3 of their best 4 goal kickers) and in the midfield it is right to say they are decimated. More so than Carlton were, who could deal with their long absentee list better. They had a bit of a rebounding deficiency but otherwise midfield, KPPs and goal kickers were kept in tact to a reasonable degree.

Collingwood last night

Pendlebury
DeGoey
Mitchell
Mihocek
Elliott
McStay
Cox
WHE

Cerra
McGovern
Saad
Doherty
Martin
Fogarty
Fantasia
Motlop

You put Fantasia in there but not JSOS? What?

Carlton has had injury problems since the beginning of the year, Collingwood has been relatively more recently. So far this year we have had more games missed from our best 22, yet Collingwood supporters didn't want a bar of it. You downplaying our injuries is really odd though. Collingwood have been kissed on the d as far as injuries go in the past year and a bit... a month ago we kept on reading that DeGoey and Mitchell weren't such big losses because they were playing like crap. Now with a bit of bad luck, they're using the same excuses that they denied us.

Funny how that works.

Back