Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some future AFL players amongst this group of good looking roosters from the Rebels pictured after last week's Nationals victory by Vic Country....

L to R
Forward/Ruck Floyd Burmeister, Key Forward Jonty Faull, Mid/Forward Sam Lalor, Small pressure Defender/forward Ollie Hannaford, exciting Small Forward Rhys Unwin, Small/Medium Defender Harry Charleson and tall winge/half back Jack Ough. Sam Lalor, Jonty Faull, Jack Ough and Rhys Unwin should all get drafted, rookie chances Ollie Hannaford, Harry Charleson and Floyd Burmeister who I really like, very raw and a couple of years in the gym away but seriously athletic and a prodigious leap.

1720595036048.png

Strange no mention of Jonty Faull in the talls brigade by Twomey.

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024.

Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

DRAFT HUB
Click here for the latest draft news

The largely strong run of games in the Marsh Under-18 Championships and even group of prospects has scouts happy with the best 30 players available and depth compared to some recent seasons.

Josh Smillie
and Finn O'Sullivan are still considered the most likely candidates for the No.1 pick, but the likes of Luke Trainor, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Bo Allan and Taj Hotton are also viewed as the top-10 contenders as well as Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast Academy's Leo Lombard.

Tall prospects Jack and Matt Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Alixzander Tauru, Noah Mraz and Harry Armstrong are all also seen as potential later first-round selections. – Callum Twomey

From a poster on the Hawks board:

'My mate coaches South Adelaide and Sid Draper played on the weekend SANFL. Played really well, my mate said he is better than JHF at the same age, as he coached him at south too. He reckons Sid will captain an AFL team one day, no go home or dickhead factor like JHF. He probably won’t get past the crows pick, but if he does and we could get him, would be huge.'

Goes without saying any form he picks up in the seniors at Panthers will outweigh anything he did in U18's Championships. Just shows he has a great chance to be a straight up starter for any club next year in being able to mix it with grown men.

'My mate coaches South Adelaide and Sid Draper played on the weekend SANFL. Played really well, my mate said he is better than JHF at the same age, as he coached him at south too. He reckons Sid will captain an AFL team one day, no go home or dickhead factor like JHF. He probably won’t get past the crows pick, but if he does and we could get him, would be huge.'

Goes without saying any form he picks up in the seniors at Panthers will outweigh anything he did in U18's Championships. Just shows he has a great chance to be a straight up starter for any club next year in being able to mix it with grown men.
Trouble is I now want Lalor AND Draper.

If Gold Coast continue to tumble our 2025 first for Pick 6 - Lalor looks ideal.
Think about it though - if they did tumble to 13th and got pick 6, the players that might be gone at that pick are FOS, Smillie, Smith, Draper & maybe Trainor so GC 'could' get a pick in before a bid on their academy player Lombard. BUT, would we risk bidding on him to try and get a sweetener trade with GC for their pick bgut risk them letting us have him and them taking another mid like Draper themselves?

Maybe what I am thinking here is if GC dropped that low, would they just want to hold onto their pick and take that risk??? not sure either way. How to wangle that pick from them would be the question.

So this fella claims to be a mate of Mark Clayton? Hmmmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too, but potentially if we are able to get another pick in the first round, it seems unlikely that we can get these 2.

Maybe Draper/Lalor with our first and someone like Langford?
There's going to be some pretty decent mids still available 2nd round possibly even 3rd round. talents like Zak Johnson, Archer Day-Wicks, Lucca Grego, Cooper Hynes, Luke Urquhart, Kade Herbert, Oliver Depaoli-Kubank and there's probably some I've missed. A player I really like is Gippy Power's Xavier Lindsay amongst the most composed and best kicks in this draft, even he could slip outside the 1st round so strong is the midfield depth in this draft.

This sounds a bit like the McGregor is better than Pavlich call made when they were both 17.

This sounds a bit like the McGregor is better than Pavlich call made when they were both 17.
Or you could go with this Mark Clayton quote LOL

“Sid has great speed and power and works really hard. His speed from stoppage is elite. The younger brother of (current South and former Collingwood player) Arlo Draper, I expect him to go quite high in the draft. He reminds me a bit of Chris Judd (dual Brownlow Medallist) with the way he goes about things and his work around the stoppages. Sid is very professional and diligent and wants to do everything well. He’s first class. He ticks a lot of the AFL attributes athletically, professionally and personality wise.’’ – South talent manager and under-18s coach Mark Clayton.

Trouble is I now want Lalor AND Draper.

Anyone willing to do the mental gymnastics on how Reid & Co get that one over the line?

The article Mutineer posted just before shows both an opportunity and a curse for us in terms of getting two high draft picks.

The opportunity in that we might be able to bring in draft picks across the next 2 years into this year, the curse being that it looks like everyone is going to try and do that...

Realistically the only club that I'd imagine would want to trade out of the draft would be Gold Coast (everyone else needs draft picks), but they'll be tied up with getting some Richmond players in and gift the Tigers some high draft picks for their rebuild it'd seem. I'd imagine Tigers will ask for one of GC's high draft picks, but I'd certainly be asking for the other.

A lot of punters out there seem to think Lombard (GC Academy) will go top 6, so you'd think that's another reason for GC to want to get out of the draft. If we could offer up a future 1st and something else, I think we could nab one. GC also have a high prospect next year in Uwland, so would surely want some collateral for that...

Something working for us is that we got the Rankine deal done fairly quickly last year, so seems to be decent trade relations..
So this fella claims to be a mate of Mark Clayton? Hmmmm.

Well the poster didn't say which coaching level, could have been Ressies even?

I was down South a few weeks ago to watch Panthers v Crows and spoke to the former coach of the womens team, who essentially said the same thing. Apparently he's a ripper of a kid.

“Sid has great speed and power and works really hard. His speed from stoppage is elite. The younger brother of (current South and former Collingwood player) Arlo Draper, I expect him to go quite high in the draft. He reminds me a bit of Chris Judd (dual Brownlow Medallist) with the way he goes about things and his work around the stoppages. Sid is very professional and diligent and wants to do everything well. He’s first class. He ticks a lot of the AFL attributes athletically, professionally and personality wise.’’ – South talent manager and under-18s coach Mark Clayton.
If he turns out better than JHF, or even close to as good, and we pick him up, I will be forever thankful!

McGregor was a solid AFL player and it looks like Draper obviously has the AFL attributes. To be the creme de la creme, like Pavlich/Judd and I think JHF will be soon, would be great. To me, it looks like Draper is more Roberts than JHF (still good, just not amazing). But, Clayton is at the coalface. As was the person that made the remark on McGregor/Pavlich - hence my post comparison.

Anyone willing to do the mental gymnastics on how Reid & Co get that one over the line?

The article Mutineer posted just before shows both an opportunity and a curse for us in terms of getting two high draft picks.

The opportunity in that we might be able to bring in draft picks across the next 2 years into this year, the curse being that it looks like everyone is going to try and do that...

Realistically the only club that I'd imagine would want to trade out of the draft would be Gold Coast (everyone else needs draft picks), but they'll be tied up with getting some Richmond players in and gift the Tigers some high draft picks for their rebuild it'd seem. I'd imagine Tigers will ask for one of GC's high draft picks, but I'd certainly be asking for the other.

A lot of punters out there seem to think Lombard (GC Academy) will go top 6, so you'd think that's another reason for GC to want to get out of the draft. If we could offer up a future 1st and something else, I think we could nab one. GC also have a high prospect next year in Uwland, so would surely want some collateral for that...

Something working for us is that we got the Rankine deal done fairly quickly last year, so seems to be decent trade relations..

Well the poster didn't say which coaching level, could have been Ressies even?

I was down South a few weeks ago to watch Panthers v Crows and spoke to the former coach of the womens team, who essentially said the same thing. Apparently he's a ripper of a kid.
Brisbane will also almost certainly want to trade their first pick with Ashcroft coming in with an early pick.

Although at this stage it’s now looking like their pick will be mid-late first round now.

Question, you have seen enough of the other top end kids, if we end up with pick 4, do you think he is likely still on the draft board for us? or is he already likely gone.

Question, you have seen enough of the other top end kids, if we end up with pick 4, do you think he is likely still on the draft board for us? or is he already likely gone.
I think he is, discounting Ashcroft and Lombard. Pick 5, touch and go. It’s still very even though, of the nominal 1 & 2, Smilie had an ok but not exceptional carnival and O’Sullivan has barely played. Any of the top 10-12 could go in the first 3 with a big finish to the season, lots of football yet to play.

Only the recruiters know the answer to that, it will all be down to where individual recruiters rate them, all I know is I most certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he's our guy, similarly with most in this top 8 or 10 it gets down to what type of mid we prefer. Sid is what I'd class as a balanced mid with inside/outside talent and some decent explosiveness. Personally I'd take Sid before both Josh Smillie and Jagga Smith of those in the "öpen" draft, that said need to see more of Finn O'Sullivan now he's back.

Gold Coast have a great draft hand.

If the AFL don't put in fixes for this years draft, GC will make out like bandits again. Get top 5 Lombard for a bag of junk picks and trade their good picks into the 2025 draft where they have more academy stars waiting for them.

We must make an effort to trade 2025 into an additional top 10 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back