Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I am quite confused as well on the Holding The Ball interpretation. How many free kicks were paid against the Crows for holding the ball when there was no prior opportunity? Are we being instructed on making an attempt to dispose of the ball when tackled and so immediately we are penalised?
Or are the umpires that bad and biased against us!
You don't need prior opportunity (which is 0.03 seconds opportunity these days) you just yell holding the ball as soon as you grab the ball and are simultaneously tackled the REAL AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL was a far better sport

You don't need prior opportunity (which is 0.03 seconds opportunity these days) you just yell holding the ball as soon as you grab the ball and are simultaneously tackled the REAL AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL was a far better sport
It's going to be incredibly jarring when finals is on and the umpires instinct to put the whistle away runs up against the new interpretation.

I thought Nicks choice to tag Martin with Murphy was strange and definitely didn't work
He tried to run with him around the ground, but as soon as Martin ran off him for the open mark, he was way ahead. Martin is running machine (97% TOG) and had 18cm on Murphy. No way Murphy was going to keep up with him.

It is controversial and one I dont agree with

But I will suggest persisting with Bond is better than playing the other 2
Oh I’d absolutely play Bond ahead of Murphy or Smith - no doubt about that. Bond might have some sort of AFL future while those others absolutely don’t.

Loved the job Hugh did on Higgins on debut, but as far as “Bond has the football in his hands now, what will he do with it” goes, it’s a bit of a shitshow at this point from where I sit. He also only had 2 contested possessions for the entire game tonight, which seems alarmingly low for someone whose 1 wood is “contested player / stopper”.

He’ll absolutely play next week, but if we copped a total of 0 injuries / suspensions tonight, I’m not sure he would’ve avoided the axe.

Astounding:
Keays - Has to be the best game anyone has played all year
Fog - Unreal, life post-Tex might not be so bad with him, TT and (hopefully) Welsh coming along

Good:
TT getting through a full game
Rash's winner is so good for his confidence. He had a frustrating night, particularly with some of his early efforts in the contest, but ended with solid numbers and the match-winner
Taylor has both footy smarts and tricks - continuing to build
Dowling - as above. Might not have tricks Taylor does, but makes up for it with composure and work rate
R.O.B's last quarter
Draper missing a set shot from 10m out. If karma exists, then that's a textbook example of it
The eight goal run in the second quarter was the best footy we've played all year.

Bad:
How long it took to play Taylor and Dowling
Injuries
Murphy - He has 1 disposal in his last two final quarters in total. Enough is enough
Smith is completely cooked, it's a shame his career is ending on such a sour note
Slow out of the blocks again on the road
Conceding seven in a row

All in all, it feels so good to finally get a win over them, that was such an embarrassing drought given how mediocre-shit they've been. That's now two wins under the roof in almost identical ways, three goals down with six minutes left and kick the last three to pinch it late. Normally I would want to protect our pick, but I doubt it changes from 5/6 (depends on the Battle compo) and wins like this on the road does the world of wonders for the younger brigade.

Last edited:
Oh I’d absolutely play Bond ahead of Murphy or Smith - no doubt about that. Bond might have some sort of AFL future while those others absolutely don’t.

Loved the job Hugh did on Higgins on debut, but as far as “Bond has the football in his hands now, what will he do with it” goes, it’s a bit of a shitshow at this point from where I sit. He also only had 2 contested possessions for the entire game tonight, which seems alarmingly low for someone whose 1 wood is “contested player / stopper”.

He’ll absolutely play next week, but if we copped a total of 0 injuries / suspensions tonight, I’m not sure he would’ve avoided the axe.
He was fine with my eye test. The only blemish was his high tackle, which was milked by the flopper.

Good:
Keays - I can’t remember a Crow with less natural talent playing a better game than this. .

Funnily enough the last time was probably Kerridge against North, another Brad Scott masterclass in losing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugly:

Hearing Laird admit after the game that the plan was to play defensively and stop them from scoring. He even said that they felt uncomfortable with how high scoring it was. This just underlines what we already knew, Matthew Nicks entire philosophy is garbage. He's like a cheap knock off of Ross Lyon or Paul Roos.
Interesting considering we spent most of the game playing extremely attacking. The only time we didn't was the start of the 1st and 3rd which were our worst periods of play. Clearly the players were trying to do what nicks wanted and then said stuff it

Not the best quality - but look at Fog trying to get to a marking contest with 1:54 to go in the match.

How the everloving **** is this not the clearest blocking / holding / high free you've ever seen?
Also got body out of a marking contest while in the air late in the 4th quarter which would have resulted in a set shot had it been correctly called.

Interesting considering we spent most of the game playing extremely attacking. The only time we didn't was the start of the 1st and 3rd which were our worst periods of play. Clearly the players were trying to do what nicks wanted and then said stuff it
After instruction clearly

A bit annoyed that constantly the AFL claim "game of the year" for a lot of our games over the past three years and yet that hasn't translated to primetime national TV games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back