Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe when Rachele kicked that goal, they crossed over to Brad Scott and you can read his lips saying it's done.

Glorious, you had three extra players out there all night and still couldn't get it done.

Reminded me of the Sam Kerridge six goal game in 2013 I think it was. Shouldn't have won that game either.

It's going to be incredibly jarring when finals is on and the umpires instinct to put the whistle away runs up against the new interpretation.
I think where they’ve gone wrong is they are allowing players to drop it as an attempt to dispose of it (unless you’re laird) but being more hot on players that have a free arm. As far as I’m aware it’s always been holding the ball if you have one arm free (and probably the way it should be if they want to get rid of the two arm pin dump tackle.

We might look back at this game in a year or two and say that was when it came together with this group for the first time. Without the "experienced" players to guide them they didn't look nervous or lost. They looked like they'd been held back all year and were ready to explode.

What a waste of a year this has been.

Love that footage of Keays at the siren. Could have easily taken the time to celebrate his own performance but ran straight for Rachele to pump him up for kicking the game winner.
Keays is the epitome of a team man.
Runs his butt off all game, and always remembers to give a teammate praise after a job well done.

I can now see why essendon has the percentage and results they have.

They have a heap of small fast runners or small but massive work rate or both, plus an array of tall skinny runners as well.

That is, they have a team custom built to play under the roof.

If they have to play anywhere else a lot of those players, esp tall skinny ones, will be useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching the replay and in the last 5 minutes of the game we absolutely destroyed Essendon

They could not get near it outside of one centre clearance at the end.

Just repeat inside 50 after repeat inside 50 and to be honest we could have kicked even more goals
Take the umpires out of the game in their f50 and the first 10 minutes, we flogged em all night.

Without a key defender. And their $1.5m man saw our key forwards kick 6 goals.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No not really which is why i said it was interesting laird said the plan was to be defensive yet we played all out attack most of the game. My conclusion is based on what they did do and i did not state anything about they were deliberately undermining nicks. For all we know he endorsed the change in plan. And hey it worked

Interviews straight after the game. I think both Scott and Nicks said the game didn’t turn out exactly how they wanted. No coach wants to give up 17 goals and I would be certain neither coach “planned” for that.
But the thought the players - from either side- played against instruction - is ridiculous. If the coaches were trying to tactically slow the game down they would have put extra players behind the ball and flooded
Neither coach did - so while they wouldn’t have (didn’t) expect it to be as free flowing neither tried to change it either and the game just developed into a free for all

Remembering neither side wanted the game played as it turned out - not just Adelaide in spite of Nicks!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Been watching the replay and in the last 5 minutes of the game we absolutely destroyed Essendon

They could not get near it outside of one centre clearance at the end.

Just repeat inside 50 after repeat inside 50 and to be honest we could have kicked even more goals

Happens pretty often that we are strong late. The Burgess effect

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Love that footage of Keays at the siren. Could have easily taken the time to celebrate his own performance but ran straight for Rachele to pump him up for kicking the game winner.
He's great for the TEAM!

I thought nicks and the coaching team had one of their better games. Putting Bond on Merrett for a lot of the night certainly reduced his effectiveness as Merrett got some cheap ball and his possessions were nowhere near as effective as past games against us.

They also tried to curtail Martin and he did not have an outstanding game. The problem with Murphy though is that because he does not take the ball first time- he often fumbles - he misses out on an opportunity to be a much more dangerous player than he is

They also moved Berg back in last 10 minutes. He was uncompetitive up forward in middle qrs unfortunately with his cement hands back again frustratingly but he saved some crucial balls late in game

I thought Nicks choice to tag Martin with Murphy was strange and definitely didn't work

Classic Nicks tho.

Murphy holds Neale to only 13 touches in a half and thinks it is amazing job (would equate to 26 touches in a game) so he thinks he is a tagger because lets be honest, Murphy actually doesn’t bring anything at all to the team. He doesn’t kick goals, kicked 5 so far this year in 12 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back