List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is TT being overrated on here? He was ranked at 11 on Cal’s latest form guide and was at 13 before that. The only place I’ve seen him mentioned in the top 10 is by the ESPN bloke (pick 8) who doesn’t seem to have a clue as he also had Murphy Reid at pick 16.
Hes the highest rated kid that isnt a midfielder or a KPP.
Clubs value run and carry from half back a lot higher than they used to. Inside mids arent as important as they used to be.

Id be very happy with TT at pick 6 if we ended up with it

Dont mind it at all. Overvalues Baker from what we generally consider his worth on this board but its realistic imo, and keeps us in the top 20.

I dunno who we'd take at 18, seems like its mostly talls at that range. Maybe Lindsay lasts to 18
Yeah updated if we do a mega mega trade that would include the Rioli and TB trades.

Probably been discussed but could WCE in theory walk Baker to the pre-season draft this year?

Considering the Brockman scenario I cant see this happening, but as we have pick 3 we would be first in line since I can't see North/Richmond picking him up when he clearly has requested a move back to WA?
Obviously no garuntees that North/Richmond would pass though.

If the F2 is going in the TB trade we can’t afford to trade the F3 as well as points will come in hard to get.

Mega trade is probably what is going to help the most.
If we do the
13+Hawks F1
For
TB and F2

And the Rioli for 6 is going ahead. I reckon we have the discussion with GC and Richmond that we roll Hawks F1 into GC pick 12 a Baker and Rioli mega trade.

Baker Trade (with out throwing in the full TB and Rioli parts)
Eagles
Out- 23 + Hawks F1
In- Baker + 18 + Dev

Brisbane
Out- 18 + Dev + F2
In- 23 + 29

Tigers
Out - Baker + 29
In- 12 + F2

GC
Out- 12
In- Hawks F1
Crunch the numbers for the full mega trade for us.
Out- TB - 23 - F2
In- 13 - 18 - Baker - Dev

Draft with 3, 13, 18
I think thats pretty even tbh. Better for us using the Hawks F1 instead of 13.

Id really want to try to split 18 again after this too, or split 3 into 6 or 7 + 2nd round pick with Richmond or Saints.
Take whichever is best available with 6/7 and 13 then fill list holes with 3x 2nd round picks and Champion

Probably been discussed but could WCE in theory walk Baker to the pre-season draft this year?

Considering the Brockman scenario I cant see this happening, but as we have pick 3 we would be first in line since I can't see North/Richmond picking him up when he clearly has requested a move back to WA?
Obviously no garuntees that North/Richmond would pass though.
We could try, but highly unlikely it gets to that.

Dont mind it at all. Overvalues Baker from what we generally consider his worth on this board but its realistic imo, and keeps us in the top 20.

I dunno who we'd take at 18, seems like its mostly talls at that range. Maybe Lindsay lasts to 18
Moraes should be 18ish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. There are always options but moving back from pick 3, sounds like the least one we want to do.
Agree completely. I'd rather use our Future 1st to increase our hand this year rather than our Pick 3 but there are complicating factors to that too.

Firstly, we must bear in mind our 2025 F/S prospect Charlie Banfield.

The changes in the pick points values (DVI) and reduced discounts for 2025 means we need to be careful not to leave ourselves short.

Secondly, if Chad Warner becomes available and we want to make a play for him we should probably keep our Future 1st.

Thirdly, a lot will hinge on the Barrass deal. If we do get 13 and their Future first, then that'll provide some coverage if we need to match a first-round bid for Banfield.

Lastly, is Harley staying or going? If he leaves, trading away our future 1st isn't a problem as we will get multiple first-rounders for him, unfortunately we won't know before this draft.

If the Barrass deal does include the Hawks F1, and we do decide to trade our F1, I'd talk to GC. They have 2 main targets this draft. Rioli and Lombard that need to get done, so need to retain some picks/points for those 2. Just as importantly, they have up to 3 first round bids on academy kids they will potentially have to match, so they need to bank some big points for 2025. That makes our F1 particularly valuable due to the DVI changes and reduced discounts.

So, offer our F1 and 23 (min 2913 to max 3815 pts assuming a 16-18th place in 2025) for GC 6, 12 and 38 (3448 pts) or 6, 20 and 26 (3356 pts).

Option 2 would still leave them with P12 (overs IMO) to use on Rioli and more than enough points for Lombard plus P23 to use on Noble. They will also get some picks from PA for Lukosius.

Either of 3, 6, 12, 13, 38, 59 or 3, 6, 13, 20, 26, 59 are picks I'd be ecstatic to take to the draft.

Very comfortable with our midfield next year now that Baker and Graham are coming and Dev looking like a good chance at coming for next to nothing. If not Dev then a good chance someone similar joins the list, or we use Hutch, im going to assume we get Dev anyway.

Reid, Hewett, Yeo and Kelly as the attacking mids while Graham and Dev able to play the more defensive roles in there, then Baker as a chop out if required. Hall as depth, probably starts the year in the WAFL though.

If Reid and Hewett are both healthy and firing, we could probably start to move Yeo and Kelly out of the middle properly this year, let Reid, Hewett, Dev, Graham and Baker/Hutch take most of the responsibility. Dont have to move the older guys out full time, but maybe take them back to 30% CBAs each or something instead of 70/80%.
Throw Yeo to half back to bring leadership and experience back there in Barrass' absence and Kelly to half forward where hes probably more suited. Obviously both can do stints in the middle if required during games.

Clearly we should have the contested portion of the midfield somewhat covered for the short term, our first pick should be at the very least on an outside leaning player.
Not necessarily suggesting Travaglia, but maybe Smillie/Lalor lower priorities?

Very comfortable with our midfield next year now that Baker and Graham are coming and Dev looking like a good chance at coming for next to nothing. If not Dev then a good chance someone similar joins the list, or we use Hutch, im going to assume we get Dev anyway.

Reid, Hewett, Yeo and Kelly as the attacking mids while Graham and Dev able to play the more defensive roles in there, then Baker as a chop out if required. Hall as depth, probably starts the year in the WAFL though.

If Reid and Hewett are both healthy and firing, we could probably start to move Yeo and Kelly out of the middle properly this year, let Reid, Hewett, Dev, Graham and Baker/Hutch take most of the responsibility. Dont have to move the older guys out full time, but maybe take them back to 30% CBAs each or something instead of 70/80%.
Throw Yeo to half back to bring leadership and experience back there in Barrass' absence and Kelly to half forward where hes probably more suited. Obviously both can do stints in the middle if required during games.

Clearly we should have the contested portion of the midfield somewhat covered for the short term, our first pick should be at the very least on an outside leaning player.
Still need that genuine mid with a bit of pace and can link.

I agree with Cal today Draper, Jagga or Langford are great fits at 3

This.

We are all too familiar with the following:
  • opening line in the media for trades being to the advantage of the opposing club
  • hearing nothing from the Eagles to refute that
  • letting that story become the consensus opinion of "fair terms"
  • then seeing West Coast deal to that consensus, and pretend it yielded good value.

The confidence gained from holding on to pick 1 last year was completely eroded by what the club offered on draft night for D.Curtin.

I just hope the new team in charge has a far better handle on managing trades than those previously involved.

This - need to take a leaf out of Port’s notes.

Apparently Blues haven’t included their pick 11 in preliminary discussions for Houston. Port have basically said come back to us when 11 is up for discussion.

Houston’s manager now negotiating with Blues to soften their approach for benefit of his client.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still need that genuine mid with a bit of pace and can link.

I agree with Cal today Draper, Jagga or Langford are great fits at 3
If we really wanted one of these 3 as a priority over Lalor/Smillie that may rule out splitting pick 3 for 6/7 + something which may have been an option before

FOS would slot in beautifully on a wing to start his career and Lindsay at Hawks 1R would be perfect on the other side but unfortunately it looks like we’re stupid enough to trade it. Based on some info but mostly speculation the top 16 to the Hawks 1R to me looks like this:

1. RICH Smith
  2. BRIS Ashcroft (F/S BL)
  3. NM Langford
  4. WCE O’Sullivan
  5. ADEL Draper
  6. MELB Lalor
  7. RICH Reid (via GCS for Rioli)
  8. GCS Leo Lombard (NGA GCS)
  9. STK Smillie
  10. STK Travaglia (Band 1 Battle)
  11. ESS Shanahan
  12. RICH Trainor (via Freo Bolton trade)
  13. FREO Berry (via Pies Schultz trade)
  14. PORT Armstrong (Houston trade)
  15. COLL Tauru (via GCS trade)
  16. RICH Lindsay (Baker trade)
Given Baker and Graham are on their way FOS and Lindsay are the best fit IMO, both with outside class and elite kicking. Possibly the two best kicks in the draft in fact. We should be giving the Tigers 23 and 22 (Band 3 Graham) compo and holding 13.

What would the Suns give for our F1? It is likely to be a top 4 pick and the points for the top 6 have not changed that much.

1727683886492.png 1727685063493.png

More importantly, the drop off in 2025 drops off significantly.

I am assuming we get the Hawks 13 and F1 as part of the Tom deal. Not worrying about the noise with the complete deal with Tom.

So what would our F1 get? Could we go for 12 and 20? Mindful that 20 will be 22 post Battle and Perryman FA compo.

Watching the Futures game, Suns are going to need a load of R1 picks or one very early one to take into 2025.

New draft hand is 3 12 13 22* 25* 61*
Note: * indicates pick pushed back by 2.

2 options with Baker
1. Pick 3 for Baker and 6
2. Pick 13 for Baker and 23*

Under 1, Baker plus 6, 12, 13, 22, 25, 61 - we get the left over mid in Smillie or Lalor, (not M Reid) instead of the 3rd best mid being one of FOS/Draper/Smith/Langford, 2 of the trio TT/Berry/Lindsay at 12 and 13, another mid like Hynes/Moraes/Gross or Oliver at 22 and a KPD at 25

Under 2, Baker plus 3, 12, 22, 23, 25, 61 - we get one of the best 3 mids, one of the trio in TT/Berry/Lindsay and two of Oliver or Hynes or Gross and a KPD

We then have 5 players inside the top 25.

We take into 2025 Hawks F1 and have capacity to match with points on Banfield, Walley and Evans later in the draft. Going into deficit in latter rounds is not that bad.

Suns walk away with Rioli for 6, enough points for matching Lombard, a decent R2 for Noble and a likely to be top end F1 along with their own F1 They can always use our F1 as a selling asset in 12 months if they want multiple R1 picks for matching.

FOS would slot in beautifully on a wing to start his career and Lindsay at Hawks 1R would be perfect on the other side but unfortunately it looks like we’re stupid enough to trade it. Based on some info but mostly speculation the top 16 to the Hawks 1R to me looks like this:

1. RICH Smith
  2. BRIS Ashcroft (F/S BL)
  3. NM Langford
  4. WCE O’Sullivan
  5. ADEL Draper
  6. MELB Lalor
  7. RICH Reid (via GCS for Rioli)
  8. GCS Leo Lombard (NGA GCS)
  9. STK Smillie
  10. STK Travaglia (Band 1 Battle)
  11. ESS Shanahan
  12. RICH Trainor (via Freo Bolton trade)
  13. FREO Berry (via Pies Schultz trade)
  14. PORT Armstrong (Houston trade)
  15. COLL Tauru (via GCS trade)
  16. RICH Lindsay (Baker trade)
Given Baker and Graham are on their way FOS and Lindsay are the best fit IMO, both with outside class and elite kicking. Possibly the two best kicks in the draft in fact. We should be giving the Tigers 23 and 22 (Band 3 Graham) compo and holding 13.
If as rumoured the Tigers are keen on getting 2 top 3 picks, and they offered us pick 6+something to get it done, assuming FOS, Draper and Smith arent there at 6 do we just take TT?
I would but thats just me.

If as rumoured the Tigers are keen on getting 2 top 3 picks, and they offered us pick 6+something to get it done, assuming FOS, Draper and Smith arent there at 6 do we just take TT?
I would but thats just me.
If we end up with pick 6 I am 100% taking Travaglia over Smillie and Reid. Lalor would be a difficult decision. His hamstring injury is VERY significant.

Spent today in the car listening to trade radio/SEN and melting hard at the concept of trading pick 13 for Baker with no mention of anything coming back as if he was genuinely worth 13. Saying that pick slides back to 16 because of Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako is a nonsense

Came to the eventual realisation that the same people spouting pick 13 are the same ones who up until last night/this morning were totally clueless as to who our next coach was going to be

So as frustrating as it will be listening to muppets who have no idea what we’re planning, I’m saving the melts until if/when they’re actually required once the trades are done

In short, don’t get sucked in to noise from those who don’t know but like to pretend they do

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back