List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity and the risk of getting to to GTFO 100 times , Could i ask a taboo question ?

which out of the 2 trades would be preferred frm the below (yes neither but just for the sake of the exercise )

#3 for Baker + #11 + #32
#14 for Baker + #32

lane kiffin roll GIF

Just out of curiosity and the risk of getting to to GTFO 100 times , Could i ask a taboo question ?

which out of the 2 trades would be preferred frm the below (yes neither but just for the sake of the exercise )

#3 for Baker + #11 + #32
#14 for Baker + #32
Given those choices I'd take option 3. You get to keep him.

If it was a gun to my head and had to take one of those bad choices, I'd be keeping pick 3. There is no deal for a solid player that comes close to getting pick 3 as part of the mix.

The combine has officially separated Langford and Jagga.

To test bottom 4 in 20m that's 0.02s faster then 200cm Alex dodson
To test agility 8.96s is WTF

Jagga matched Langford 2km, and showed elite 20m.

My preferences
1. Draper
(Huge Gap)
2. Lalor
3. Jagga
(Gap)
4. FOS
5. Langford / Smillie

My theory.

Split pick 3 for 2 picks in the top 12. Get pick 14 and Hawks F1 for Barrass. Deal 14 for Baker and F2. Deal one of those other picks and our F1 for Warner = profit

Plus still keep a top pick in this draft to add a Draper/Lalor/whoever

My theory.

Split pick 3 for 2 picks in the top 12. Get pick 14 and Hawks F1 for Barrass. Deal 14 for Baker and F2. Deal one of those other picks and our F1 for Warner = profit

Plus still keep a top pick in this draft to add a Draper/Lalor/whoever
In no world is baker worth more than 14 let alone a extra second rounder as well.

Richmond should be happy with a straight 23, given his performance last year

#3 for Baker + #11 + #32
#14 for Baker + #32

I don't mind #3 for Baker + #6, and a swap of seconds.

The moron Clarke doing favours for his old club. Getting pick 20s for Graham would be lucky to get pick 50 open trade market and giving his hand away basically saying 14 for baker. Pyke should take him away from any deal relating to Baker he’s too close to his old team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker will instantly make our 22 stronger, looking forward to it, he’ll be in our squad soon you bloody beauty!
I’m really interested to see if we can add any other young midfielders, Garcia, Carroll, Dev.
I also hope we split our pick 3, two shots at the title is better than one.
We seem to prefer the poorer of the midfielders, seem to have little interest in Garcia who’s miles better than the other two. So we will end up with the C grade options in Dev and Carol and will overpay for them. Heard Clarke though Dev was def worth a pic in the 20s.

Yeah, I was shocked when he didn’t talk up Barrass’s value and instead seemed offended that the journalist asked if Barrass is worth two firsts.

Yet he agreed Baker was worth a mid teens pick, why state that publicly?

Bizarre showing from him
Lol you didn't get his meaning.

He basically said to the reporter do you think he's worth 2 first rounders and then said it up to hawks to make their best offer but he's contracted and a kp player who's worth a lot

Basically he said we aren't giving him up for 1 first rounder intimating that's hawks first offer.

Agree with the circumstances but Redden was 23 at the time and was a very good midfielder at the time that had stagnated the last few seasons as leppitch tried to turn him from a balanced mid to a pure inside mid. Wellingham was also a few years younger but by memory he was more of an accomplished player at the Pies.

Like I mentioned a few pages back I just don’t see that as Bakers value as he is a jack of all trades but a master of none. He suits a strong team rather than a celler dweller like us.

Redden turned 25 (in December) the year we traded for him

Baker will essentially be 2 years older than Redden was

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back