List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Im thinking WC will now look at trading back into this trade period using a F2 or what ever we get for Barras.
Will then try nab Dev with a 3rd or 4th.
Only teams I see who might consider this are Richmond lookign to spread their rebuild out over 2 years or GWS who have alot of picks later.

Personally would be happy if we did F2 for 37 + 53 + 56 or F3 for 51 + 61+ 70 (as gesture of good will from Richmond)

If we are even thinking about going for Warner next year(we are) then we HAVE to trade out our own f1 for picks this year.

Hopefully that means our f1 for 10+18, giving us 10+12+18+26+Champion in the draft this year.
Add Travaglia, Lindsay, Hynes and a KPD. Thats most bases covered, just the midfield to finish with Warner and a ruckman to find.

Whatever or however many f1s we have next year, Warner will wipe us out of the draft, and likely at least partially out of the 2026 draft. If we keep our f1 we have to use it on Warner, and means we are 2 first round picks(10+18) worse off by the start of 2026. Id rather get access to them now than in 2026/2027

If we dont get Warner then we lost, we split a top 4-6 pick for nothing, but id rather guarantee 10+18 so we can complete the list in the hopes we can get Warner than be fighting over whether we really want Warner or the draft more.

Edit: we have seen how our management handles players we "commit to" when trading now with Baker, I have no doubt we would absolutely trade 4 first round picks for Warner which is obviously overs. Gotta take the option away from ourselves.
It’s an interesting point given the talk is that we should load up as much as possible for Warner next year. There have been examples where having less (but still enough) can be beneficial in being able to say “that’s all we can offer”. The more we have the more they will ask for.

Similarly with the rule changes re trading extra futures, it may not be as advantageous as people think as it will change the market of what teams have available and hence what teams expect in a trade. We just need to have Freo covered (their salary cap should be full anyway) and hopefully some picks to match F/S that have been mentioned.

I don’t agree with your point of view that 10 and 18, with our success rate choosing at those areas, projects higher than the top 3 next year but I do respect your opinion to have that point of view.

What advantage? What clubs are continuously trading out of the top three that don’t have northern academy access?

Collingwood just did it again.

Plenty of clubs using g future 1sts to get deals done and get 12 months advantage by bri going future picks forward.

Port did it last year.

Carlton just did it.

I will say my respect for West Australians and many Eagles supporters this week has diminished.

Talk about throwing the toys out of the cot.

Seriously embarrassing content on here the past couple of days.
I don't think anyone asked. You are allowed to be passionate and critical of your club and some people do this in different ways and will probably act differently when the heat comes down.

Collingwood just did it again.

Plenty of clubs using g future 1sts to get deals done and get 12 months advantage by bri going future picks forward.

Port did it last year.

Carlton just did it.
What club is trading out of the top 3 of the draft?

These are all clubs looking to contend now, all with fully built midfields, is that us?

We have significantly improved depth now. The wafl side should be better off, meaning players can develop better in that side
This is one aspect people seem to forget in all of this. With such poor depth, it has been impossible to develop young players in our WAFL side (not that it's all down to the depth of our listed players). This may also have been an aspect of the thinking behind getting in more senior bodies.

I am not convinced it justifies the shenanigans of yesterday but it will hopefully improve our ability to develop young players.

Who do we believe in?

I'd really like Dev for depth. If we did pick up Warner, our midfield would then be:

A grade leaders: Reid and Warner
B grade defensive mid/rotations: Graham, Dev Robertson, Ginbey, Hall, Hutchinson
Depth: Kelly, Yeo, Duggan, Baker

Actually gives us something to work with, and if we're lucky, Hewett, Pick 12 2024 or Ginbey steps up and becomes a regular mid performer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd really like Dev for depth. If we did pick up Warner, our midfield would then be:

A grade leaders: Reid and Warner
B grade defensive mid/rotations: Graham, Dev Robertson, Ginbey, Hall, Hutchinson
Depth: Kelly, Yeo, Duggan, Baker

Actually gives us something to work with, and if we're lucky, Hewett, Pick 12 2024 or Ginbey steps up and becomes a regular mid performer.

Chess?

There are some similarities mainly in there athletic attributes and that they have both played in defence at junior levels and played in the midfield more during there draft year.

Just my personal opinion on them but Allan is a better kick in terms of both penetration and accuracy but can at times turn the ball over by making poor choices. Is more explosive around the ball than Ginbey at the same age and can break the lines using his pace.

Ginbey in his draft year used the ball more by hand than what Bo does. Played only off half back at WAFL level and bolted in draft calculations from the championships through to the combine. I feel Allan has had a more normal progression playing state as an underage last year and building from that point on.

Allan is a fraction taller but Ginbey perhaps a slightly bigger frame at the same age. Both tested well at the combine.

I do think that Allan probably starts his AFL career down back if being honest but I could see him pushing into the midfield as he matures.

Fair assessment.
I doubt he ever becomes an inside mid, IMO might at best transition into a wingman.
Will need to clean up his decision making if he is to make it at the next level, that’s not impossible do but it’s not as easy as it sounds.

I would have others ahead of him at that juncture in the draft.

But he would be a typical West Pick, I would be disappointed if we went that way.

IMO he doesn’t have a huge upside and that’s my knock on him, in a deep draft I would be hoping for a player with better foot skills.

Swans will move on Parker and use the saved cash to uplift Warner for next year IMO.

If the Swans want to stay in the hunt to extend his stay and get the most out of Warner in 2025 they uplift his current wage next year.

I'd give it next to no chance to stay, his missus and him both want to return to WA.

What's the knock on him?
I guess for me it’s his decision making and whether he can transfer his 20 disposals a game playing as a midfielder at state level to doing that at AFL level. Does he get enough of the ball is probably where most of the criticism will come from.

He was going at 4-6 disposals less a game at the championships than some of the vic mids ( most of them averaged around 25 disposals) while he averaged 20 but in many ways he looks like he has a higher ceiling athletically than most of them.

The other knock is that he’s from WA and as Eagles supporters we don’t like being told by the vic media that we should take a WA product.

Wouldn’t Sydney be better off letting Warner go this year while still contracted, rather than end of next season when he’s out of contract? That’s if he is keeen to leave. We should just throw them pick 12 and whatever we get for Barrass today. Then we’ve still got our own first round pick next year which will likely be top 5.
What WCE have shown it doesnt matter if that player is contracted.

We'll overpay no matter what.
First with the kelly trade and now franked by the baker one.

We also overpaid for wellingham and even redden.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back