AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

Has all the attributes to be a good forward but just isn't mentally there. Feel like he's a very big confidence player. Overthinks it and lets the little losses pile up in the psyche and flutters under bodily pressure.

Maybe Scott should throw him into a boxing ring and keep punching him until he punches back. Then they'll know he's ready.

Last edited:
Has all the attributes to be a good forward but just isn't mentally there. Feel like he's a very big confidence player. Overthinks it and lets the little losses pile up in the psyche and flutters under bodily pressure.

Maybe Scott should throw him into a boxing ring and keep punching him until he punches back. Then they'll know he's ready.
I'm sure there has got to be a palm tree somewhere in Tullamarine, let's all scout Streetview and find it.
3-4 hours of solid kicking and we should have a contender.

Too passive. Boys in the 2’s must be thinking WTF do I have to do ?
This is the problem - it’s now an issue of selection integrity.

You can talk about playing a role but but we have here a bloke who can’t get near the footy and, more importantly, isn’t competing.

Have loved most of what Scott’s done but I’ll take the bloke who competes even if it means playing a role he’s unsuited to and hasn’t been playing at VFL level. I’d play all of Cox, Voss and Baldwin ahead Weid right now.

Too passive. Boys in the 2’s must be thinking WTF do I have to do ?
What boys?
Weid is staying in the side for 1 reason atm, he can 2nd ruck. If Draper was fit he’d be dropped.
Geelong will be he last chance imo, because if Cox is again solid he could come in against the dogs and Draper might be back. Or Bryan plays well and we go with the Phillips Bryan combo again.

This is the problem - it’s now an issue of selection integrity.

You can talk about playing a role but but we have here a bloke who can’t get near the footy and, more importantly, isn’t competing.

Have loved most of what Scott’s done but I’ll take the bloke who competes even if it means playing a role he’s unsuited to and hasn’t been playing at VFL level. I’d play all of Cox, Voss and Baldwin ahead Weid right now.
Selection integrity requires someone available to play the same role.

Weideman is clearly out of form, but how many other KPF's who can cover 8-10 minutes in the ruck do we have running around the VFL at the moment?
(Correct answer is zero).

So to drop Weideman you have to change your entire structure, which Scott has already said he is reticent to do at this point (at least with 2xKPFs playing).
But say you did - do you play 2 rucks? Well not this week with Flip out and Draper still injured. Not to mention that Flip and Bryan are both non-factors forward of centre.

Do you bring in Voss? Well Voss can't ruck and really plays the Langford/Stringer role which means Wright would have to relief ruck and you look awful short down the line and up forward without him there.
Not to mention Voss has had moments but overall hasn't been in that good of form really.

Tl;Dr = selection integrity exists when there are options available, and until Draper is back I not too sure we have many.

Selection integrity requires someone available to play the same role.

Weideman is clearly out of form, but how many other KPF's who can cover 8-10 minutes in the ruck do we have running around the VFL at the moment?
(Correct answer is zero).

So to drop Weideman you have to change your entire structure, which Scott has already said he is reticent to do at this point (at least with 2xKPFs playing).
But say you did - do you play 2 rucks? Well not this week with Flip out and Draper still injured. Not to mention that Flip and Bryan are both non-factors forward of centre.

Do you bring in Voss? Well Voss can't ruck and really plays the Langford/Stringer role which means Wright would have to relief ruck and you look awful short down the line and up forward without him there.
Not to mention Voss has had moments but overall hasn't been in that good of form really.

Tl;Dr = selection integrity exists when there are options available, and until Draper is back I not too sure we have many.
Did you watch him play in the ruck?

Say you asked Voss or Cox to do it, what would be the difference?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch him play in the ruck?

Say you asked Voss or Cox to do it, what would be the difference?
Yeah, broke even around clearances and gave not much around the ground - Thilthorpe didn't do that much either so basically a wash.

And considering Voss has probably never rucked in his life and Cox has played 5 games since coming back from a stress fracture in his back - and neither have played ruck at VFL or AFL level this year...
I would say the difference would be substantial.

What boys?
Weid is staying in the side for 1 reason atm, he can 2nd ruck. If Draper was fit he’d be dropped.
Geelong will be he last chance imo, because if Cox is again solid he could come in against the dogs and Draper might be back. Or Bryan plays well and we go with the Phillips Bryan combo again.
How many last chances ? I’ve lost count.

Yeah, broke even around clearances and gave not much around the ground - Thilthorpe didn't do that much either so basically a wash.

And considering Voss has probably never rucked in his life and Cox has played 5 games since coming back from a stress fracture in his back - and neither have played ruck at VFL or AFL level this year...
I would say the difference would be substantial.
Im not saying they are good options. It’s more the case the Weideman just has to go. He cost us big time against PA and will cost us again at some point.

He surely goes out when Draper and Phillips are both back. In the interim I’d prefer someone who’ll have a crack - even if unsuited.

He’s not even firing a shot - it will be addition by subtraction.

Sammy will turn it around. Stick with him.
He’s been in the system a long time. It ain’t happening.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Im not saying they are good options. It’s more the case the Weideman just has to go. He cost us big time against PA and will cost us again at some point.

He surely goes out when Draper and Phillips are both back. In the interim I’d prefer someone who’ll have a crack - even if unsuited.

He’s not even firing a shot - it will be addition by subtraction.
I understand your logic, I just don't think changing what would be our entire forward structure for 10mins a quarter for the sake of a guy who has never played at AFL level before (Voss) is a smart idea vs Geelong (at Geelong).

I'm all for dropping him for Bryan in a week's time, especially considering how little Weideman gives us forward.
But this week I think it is worth keeping him in to compete in the ruck and keep Wright forward - which will have a bigger impact on our chance to win than whatever output Voss gives us over Weideman.

Who think they're a chance for a senior game?
It’s the vibe it’s creating. You would have to admit that he has been below par for most of the season. He’s barely touched it the last two months but seems under zero pressure to hold his spot. Have you played football? If supporters are questioning it, you can guarantee players are questioning it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back