Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all his great attributes, I'm not sure kicking is one of them. I've always worried that he struggles whenever he's not able to just kick it as long as he can.

I'm certain there's a lot more to come from Luke this season. When he starts running and carrying and slotting them from 50 that's when everyone is going to really sit up and take notice.

By far our most 'desperate' player around the contest. Ziebel levels.

For all his great attributes, I'm not sure kicking is one of them. I've always worried that he struggles whenever he's not able to just kick it as long as he can.

I've thought about this too. I don't think it's an ability thing more a mindset. Seems like he's been taught to just bomb it all the time because he's good at long kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love his effort but some of his kicking/decision making is pretty poor at the moment - sits the ball up too much and telegraphs where he will be kicking.

never been more confident in a player than what ive seen from lukes first 6 games. He uses his best asset (long kick) regularly and that will continue until such time when the games speed compared with 2's will be just normal. I seriously think he will be another daniel wells or better and i cant wait to see a 60 game luke running round in the blue and white.

I'm sure his kickin will improve with application(see Atley)
His ferocity at the contest and his work rate for one so young is just so inspiring.
He is often seen to separate team mates wrestling with opponents and calming the situation.
He also often is seen to briefly comfort, re-assure and gee up a team mate who has missed a shot on goal.
Such an instinctive leader!
We should all be very happy with Luke the person. Not just Luke the player.
We have got very lucky here.

Gun. Just love him!!!! Everything he does I like. The good and the bad. He makes a mistake, then busts his arse like no other to get the ball back. His level of competitiveness is Hodge like.

Next captain.

Hodge. Yes. Great comparison. Hodge had that aura right from the start. A leader's leader. Even as a kid, he never seemed very raw. Confidence without arrogance. Hunger for the contest without an appetite for needless violence.
I'm struggling to describe the intangibles that a true leader like Hodge brings to the game in addition to the skills that captures everyone's attention.
But make no mistake, we have a player here of Hodge-like proportions. He will grow his game to elite level in just a few seasons and surely captain this footy club one day.

Love him. Has easily adjusted to the speed & toughness of AFL. Will just keep getting better & better until he is elite.
His aggression & desire for someone so young is sensational.

R062014PetrieJab.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back