Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

I think today showed how much we benefit from his game.
Yep. Maginnes has done a number on some of the best mids in the comp this year. Probably one of the few hard tags Jy has ever had. People kick him instead of realising that this is why we need to appreciate what he's been doing more generally this year.

Mitchell thought enough of him to put on a very hard tag, and no surprise Jys drop in output led to us getting smashed out the middle and on the scoreboard. Jy is critical to our success.

Probably the 1st time he has copped a real hard tag, hopefully he takes away a couple learnings from it so he can break it in the future. He was running pretty hard but Maguiness has had some good scalps and is super fit. Honestly would have liked his peers to put a bit more work into Finn to help break the tag, Hugh or Jed to make some contact to clear a bit of space at stoppages. But been a while since we have copped a tag so some learnings for the whole group perhaps moving forward. I guess when you really take Jy out of the equation at stoppages it opens the door for their midfield to arrest control at the coalface, and Newcombe who is a very good and tough bugger filled his boots as a result. Stenglein at WC was used to great effect as that buffer, now Hewett and Kennedy at Carlton. Just my 2c

Simpkin's kicking efficiency:

2017 - 66.7%
2018 - 56.9%
2019 - 59%
2020 - 53.8%
2021 - 58.2%
2022 - 48.6%

Any player who is given the privilege of attending as many centre bounces, other clearances and playing on ball in general is going to be crucial to a side's success.

Those players get the most opportunities to get the ball, set up scoring opportunities and stop the opposition from doing the same.

Simpkin's kicking needs to be addressed in the preseason, not swept under the carpet. It's probably been poor coaching and poor skill development at the club. He should be working one on one with a proper kicking coach all summer.

There are others who should be too. He's not on his own but if he's going to play on ball and therefore get so much of it, he has to become a much better kick.

Simpkin's kicking efficiency:

2017 - 66.7%
2018 - 56.9%
2019 - 59%
2020 - 53.8%
2021 - 58.2%
2022 - 48.6%

Any player who is given the privilege of attending as many centre bounces, other clearances and playing on ball in general is going to be crucial to a side's success.

Those players get the most opportunities to get the ball, set up scoring opportunities and stop the opposition from doing the same.

Simpkin's kicking needs to be addressed in the preseason, not swept under the carpet. It's probably been poor coaching and poor skill development at the club. He should be working one on one with a proper kicking coach all summer.

There are others who should be too. He's not on his own but if he's going to play on ball and therefore get so much of it, he has to become a much better kick.
No surprises that his footy looked better for longer last year with that increased efficiency. Definitely needs to work on getting it up again. If he does that he will be playing very very good footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

absolute ******* superstar. just lol at anyone who thinks otherwise

in him and LDU, clarko has the foundations of an outstanding midfield to build from next year. These two are elite clearance players, and i cant wait until we get the rest of the team around them to give them the support they need
Absolutely. Love seeing Jy being freed up now that LDU is standing up. There are coaches in the league who he genuinely worries when we play them, even more than LDU's recent form. I still reckon LDU is our best but Jy isn't far behind and has been doing it for way longer.

"Absolute ******* superstar".

Just wow.......

I haven't watched the game but he's been pretty disappointing all year so it's great he had a good game.

People have very low standards on "superstar" it seems, as he has played more bad games than good games this season.

Just wow.......

I haven't watched the game but he's been pretty disappointing all year so it's great he had a good game.

People have very low standards on "superstar" it seems, as he has played more bad games than good games this season.

For someone who bangs on about having an opinion which others should respect, you do an awful lot of complaining about others' opinions

For someone who bangs on about having an opinion which others should respect, you do an awful lot of complaining about others' opinions

Well it's a completely absurd opinion, he is not a superstar in any way whatsoever.

For someone with low standards (like you apparently) and happy to lose every week maybe he is a "superstar".

Well it's a completely absurd opinion, he is not a superstar in any way whatsoever.

For someone with low standards (like you apparently) and happy to lose every week maybe he is a "superstar".

I genuinely don't know how to respond to this. I don't know where you're pulling it from and where you've decided you know what I think of Jy and what I am happy with as output from the team. I'm disappointed in myself for responding to you

Just wow.......

Simpkin isn't even as good as LDU or Cunners.

Does that make him an "ultra superstar" or?
you could at least tag me m8

i just love that this comes after a 42 possession game and previous season where he was a Syd Barker medallist and a top 5 centre square clearance player in the league - a season that, as much as i love LDU, was better than what LDU has produced this season at the equivalent age

the bloke is a superstar and will lead this club for many, many years as skipper, hopefully to glory

but please keep this up. your copious salt pleases me

although I'm sure that you'll now claim that this comment means I'm saying he's better than wayne carey or something, hey

I genuinely don't know how to respond to this. I don't know where you're pulling it from and where you've decided you know what I think of Jy and what I am happy with as output from the team. I'm disappointed in myself for responding to you

I'm disappointed too because it's ridiculous opinion.

Jy is a good player, had a poor season so far and had a good game it seems so no, he isn't a "superstar" whatsoever.

you could at least tag me m8

i just love that this comes after a 42 possession game and previous season where he was a Syd Barker medallist and a top 5 centre square clearance player in the league - a season that, as much as i love LDU, was better than what LDU has produced this season at the equivalent age

the bloke is a superstar and will lead this club for many, many years as skipper, hopefully to glory

but please keep this up. your copious salt pleases me

although I'm sure that you'll now claim that this comment means I'm saying he's better than wayne carey or something, hey

He isn't a superstar.

Not even close.

You can think he is and that's great but no salt here, just take your blinkers off as Jy is no superstar as LDU is already better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back