Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop making up sh*t and twisting my words for others to pile on me with hate

Not really.

You're the one sniping not me. Plus I was responding to others which I'm entitled to do.

if you disagree then that's your choice.

It's a forum to share opinions, I don't believe everyone has to agree but apparently you do.

I mean yeah nah stares blankly

I mean yeah nah stares blankly

Fact is he isn't a "superstar"

It's actually embarrassing to say that is the last one we have had is Carey and now Simpkin is our next?

Cunners is our best player, how people now make up stories after one game is odd to me as Simpkin has had an ordinary year.

on a serious note, i absolutely ****ing love the rapport/connection he's now building with LD. You can see that they often almost have a sixth sense of where the other one is in those clearance situation, especially centre clearances - it was always going to take time, but there's clear evidence that they are fully in sync now.

**** I'm excited about what our midfield can be, and this is why i was always a big believer that talent wasn't the issue. we have the building blocks there. we just need the support around especially these two guys.

FWIW: consider this a blanket warning to all (including myself) - wishing harm/death on other posters, as well as making negative references to medical conditions/issues outside of one's control are against the rules and will be handled as such, whether that's warnings or days off. As usual, the mods do not want to ban North posters from the North board for any period of time. Please post with this in mind

Went head to head with Merrett and came in second best.
Was certainly a good game by his standard.
Hopefully it now clicks for him because he has been woeful this year.

Looks like he's had a weight lifted from his shoulders and is playing with freedom and a bit of joy again.

Thank heavens for that.

Absolutely.

Was completely cooked by needing to fill all leadership void and lift the midfield.

Still think he captains us next year.

Reckon if they put it to player vote it would be a certainty.

Woeful this year.
Woeful?

Let's see what the coaches think, using the votes they give out in the AFLCA MVP.

Simpkin - 20 (polled in four games)
LDU - 19 (six games)
Larkey - 18 (two games)
Zurhaar - 11 (two games)
Ziebell - 8 (one game)
McDonald - 6 (one game)
Greenwood - 6 (one game)
Goldstein - 3 (two games)
Corr - 2 (two games)
McKay - 2 (one game)
Hall - 1 (one game)
Scott - 1 (one game)

Or perhaps we could compare him to his own B & F winning year in 2021:

Screenshot_20220801-213443.png

So the coaches say he's our best player this year, and statistically he's very similar to a year in which he won the best and fairest, but old mate on the internet says he's woeful.

Might just agree to disagree on that one.

Simpkin isn't even as good as LDU or Cunners.

Does that make him an "ultra superstar" or?
Or Cunners?

Mate, Ben starts as a centreman in every single team in the AFL. No ifs or buts.

Jy or LDU are not fit to hold his beer at this point of their careers.

Carry on.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Woeful?

Let's see what the coaches think, using the votes they give out in the AFLCA MVP.

LDU - 19 (six games)
Larkey - 18 (two games)
Zurhaar - 11 (two games)
Ziebell - 8 (one game)
McDonald - 6 (one game)
Greenwood - 6 (one game)
Corr - 2 (two games)
McKay - 2 (one game)
Hall - 1 (one game)
Scott - 1 (one game)

View attachment 1463399

So the coaches say he's our best player this year, and statistically he's very similar to a year in which he won the best and fairest, but old mate on the internet says he's woeful.

Our best player hahaha, he isn't even our best mid let alone best player. Carry on.

Nah you don’t get it.

Because LDU is starting to break through Jy was actually never any good.

It’s not like we’ve been devoid of leadership with the pressure of our ineptitude crushing the established leaders we had let alone the most promising leader we have coming through.

The last month of his has largely been very good, sans the hard tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact is he isn't a "superstar"

It's actually embarrassing to say that is the last one we have had is Carey and now Simpkin is our next?

Cunners is our best player, how people now make up stories after one game is odd to me as Simpkin has had an ordinary year.
Mate have you bothered to watch the game yet? I would have thought watching the game is generally a pre requisite to posting on and on and on about someone's game

Woeful?

LDU - 19 (six games)
Larkey - 18 (two games)
Zurhaar - 11 (two games)
Ziebell - 8 (one game)
McDonald - 6 (one game)
Greenwood - 6 (one game)
Corr - 2 (two games)
McKay - 2 (one game)
Hall - 1 (one game)
Scott - 1 (one game)

View attachment 1463399

yep.

will be close with LDU and McKay possibly, but a fair chance for back-to-back Syds for Jyza.

Cunners' health is obviously a massive caveat, but Simpkin's clearly our next best mid and has unquestionably been our best player over the last 24 months

also he did something on the weekend that had me in gobsmacked awe

third quarter, i think, racking up one of his umpteenth touches. looked like he had absolutely nowhere to go and no north options down the line. but then he spun, twisted, danced and with ludicrously good vision and skills hit a 35 metre inboard target that he had absolutely no right to even see from where he was let alone get the ball there

it was stupid special

There are posters on this board that would meltdown harder than Chernobyl if this occurs.
it's so weird

i'll never understand this sort of attitude. like, i noticed that ol' mate benbanjo didn't even have Jy in his best 3 North players on the weekend. I mean, you have to be weirdly wed to a narrative and dug yourself so deep to get to that level of sheer delusion - and it's just plain strange to have that attitude towards one of our own players

it's so weird

i'll never understand this sort of attitude. like, i noticed that ol' mate benbanjo didn't even have Jy in his best 3 North players on the weekend. I mean, you have to be weirdly wed to a narrative and dug yourself so deep to get to that level of sheer delusion - and it's just plain strange to have that attitude towards one of our own players
Hahaha, left him out against Richmond too. Then when he was copping his hard tag against the hawks, was in the game day thread 'where are the jy lovers now?' Haha

My take on Jy is that he is a straight up A grade midfielder in a lopsided midfield. Note A grade doesn't mean "top 10 in the comp" or anything like that - that would be A+. Right now I think he is being required to do everything, inside and out, and he's being judged harshly on having to do too much.

The orthodox approach is that in order to have a premiership calibre midfield, you need 4 guns - 3 weapons and 1 defensively minded gun is the usual mix, though it doesn't really matter. Think Petracca/Oliver/Brayshaw/Viney. They don't all have to be "superstars", but combined they are a superstar midfield. (They obviously need to be complimented in other areas of the ground).

Last year we had 2 guns in our midfield - Cunnington and Simpkin - and another on the cusp (LDU). This year we have 2 guns - Simpkin and LDU. Outside of those pairs it's either some limited mids (Greenwood and Anderson) and kids who are works in progress (JHF, Powell, Phillips). It's not enough. Oh, to have Cunners this year!

When you only have 2 guns, oppositions can put work into one of them. We saw it this week with LDU, last week with Simpkin. You knock down the impact of one and that's enough. When you have 4 guns, good luck - if Lillee doesn't get ya, Thommo must and all that.

The point is, either Simpkin is the focus of opposition attention or his partner in crime is, and the other mids don't have the tools to take up the slack. So Jy battles on pretty damn well, runs his guts out and accumulates a lot of pill, but without enough around him to match that output it is less effective than it could be.

My impression is if you fast forward 2-3 years, when Simpkin is 27 and he has those kids around him with 50+ games under their belts, we will see him in a different light. Not because he does anything different - he'll still get 26 odd touches and will sit around the top 50 players in the comp, just outside AA consideration - but because the guys around him are different. And if this is combined with an improved approach to systems and transition from defence to offence (our biggest problem right now/the last decade IMO), such that Simpkin can use his tank to get the ball in more space and less pressure, then we'll see those DE% numbers go up drastically and his value will be difficult to deny.

Last edited:
Assessments of Simpkin are unbalanced in both directions.

He gets a lot of the footy (26 a game this year and last) which is good but his kick efficiency is 49% this year (not good) and worse than last year. He turns it over 6 times a game.

Against Essendon he had 41, turned it over 10 times and kicked it at 47%. So again, good and not good. Needs to work hard on his disposal over preseason.

His issues are:

1. He doesn’t have the explosiveness to get from inside to the outside of the contest

2. When fed the ball on the outside he isn’t damaging enough.

3. He’s exceptionally sloppy by hand too often.

He’s a good midfielder, and I’m glad he plays in our side, but he’s not a #1 midfielder in a Top 8 side.

40 possession game, shown some flair we have'nt seen for 12 months and hit some beautiful passes.

Lot of flogs on this board....

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back