Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

People can call me a flog, and others, and no worries I won't even report it.

The only point I made was a rebuttal that Simpkin is not an "absolute superstar".

A very good player yes, and yes is a fair chance to win another Syd and i'm glad we have him.

I leave the thread alone there and if people want to disagree go for it.

Last edited:
Mate have you bothered to watch the game yet? I would have thought watching the game is generally a pre requisite to posting on and on and on about someone's game

I did say I wouldn't post again in this thread however this is a question from a poster I rate that I missed.

No I haven't watched and I did not comment on his game at any stage. Please show me where I commented on this particular game? (I haven't given votes or commented on it at all other than asking whether I should watch the replay)

I have seen Jy's body of work since drafted though.

Last edited:
His issues are:

1. He doesn’t have the explosiveness to get from inside to the outside of the contest

2. When fed the ball on the outside he isn’t damaging enough.

3. He’s exceptionally sloppy by hand too often.

He’s a good midfielder, and I’m glad he plays in our side, but he’s not a #1 midfielder in a Top 8 side.
Can you define what you mean by inside to outside of the contest?

Against Richmond I watched him blow through about four blokes repeatedly. That was a contest but in general play though so not sure if it's the type of situation you're referring to.

Can you define what you mean by inside to outside of the contest?

Against Richmond I watched him blow through about four blokes repeatedly. That was a contest but in general play though so not sure if it's the type of situation you're referring to.
Clearance situations from a standing start.

He often has to 1-2 with a teammate then rush a kick, instead of being able to force his way through and select a better option.

Jys had 2 great games in the past 3 weeks but it still doesn’t excuse his poor kicking and disposal efficiency throughout the year. The personal jibes are just cheap but you can’t ignore the stats.
Nothing against Jy but I’d be very weary of the uplift we’ve seen since Noble was sacked.
He needs to be more consistent and better with his disposal otherwise we ain’t going nowhere as a side. It’s that simple.

Has the lowest kicking efficiency of anyone in the top 50 for disposals.
Has the second lowest kicking efficiency of anyone in the top 100 for disposals behind only Taylor Adams.

Currently leads the competition and is the only player with over 100 clangers.

Has the lowest disposal efficiency of anyone in the top 50 for disposals.
Has the second lowest disposal efficiency of anyone in the top 100 for disposals once again behind Taylor Adams.

Absolute superstar!!!!

Has the second lowest kicking efficiency of anyone in the top 100 for disposals behind only Taylor Adams.

Has the second lowest disposal efficiency of anyone in the top 100 for disposals once again behind Taylor Adams.

Absolute superstar!!!!

100% correct.

I said I wouldn't comment again (due to the wolves after me), but you have showed them up extremely well.

I've decided to change my mind regarding this thread.

I'd say Wayne Schwass a better footballer than Jy.

That's no knock on Jy, just perspective.

Was Schwass an "absolute superstar"?

Was Schwass an "absolute superstar"?
Yes. Outside of Carey, was my favourite player of the era. I loved his explosiveness, had a penetrating kick and hit the scoreboard. Superstar in my view.

Still is for his work on PukaUp

Schwass was an absolute certified gun. Back to back Syds in 94 and 95 when Carey was at his peak. Any assertion other than him being a superstar is way wide of the mark.
96 Grand Final, I was on the fence decked out in my North Jumper with #2 on the back. Still have a signed Schwatta fridge magnet in the kitchen.

Last edited:
96 Grand Final, I was on the fence decked out in my North Jumper with #2 on the back. Still have a signed Scwatta fridge magnet in the kitchen.
Unreal. Wish I was there. Schwass was as hard as nails (Jed Anderson on steroids), sublimely skilled and an amazing athlete. He may be Scottie Pippen to Carey’s Jordan, but man he was one hell of a player. Almost the complete player when you look back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jy’s clanger count is inflated due to the type of kicks he does. That hack kick out of the middle or out of a pack to gain territory. If that gets intercepted or the opposition takes possession it’s classed as a clanger. Ziebell used to feature extremely highly in that stat as well when he played in the middle.

Although he does stuff up the odd field kick, it’s not like those clangers are all him on the run and in space.

Jys had 2 great games in the past 3 weeks but it still doesn’t excuse his poor kicking and disposal efficiency throughout the year. The personal jibes are just cheap but you can’t ignore the stats.
Nothing against Jy but I’d be very weary of the uplift we’ve seen since Noble was sacked.
He needs to be more consistent and better with his disposal otherwise we ain’t going nowhere as a side. It’s that simple.

I interpret the uplift post Noble as pressure being released for him from needing to be the main guy (a role he’s not suited to) while needing to play a leading role in a game plan most didn’t understand. Also while needing to play that leadership role to a team that had lot of disharmony in it.

His disposal being patchy in the retention plan we were running makes me somewhat surprised he didn’t melt. Rather he pushed through and the tide is hopefully turning.

The best thing we have seen post Noble IMO is the synergy that seems to be emerging between LDU and Jy.

We saw it clearly in the Richmond game. Mitchell was so worried about it he applied a hard tag to Jy to shut him down. This is a pretty big amount of respect being paid to him.

As to consistency and better disposal, we’ve been last or thereabouts for three years, there isn’t a player on our list that doesn’t need to improve. Including the current flavours of the month McKay and LDU.

Yes. Outside of Carey, was my favourite player of the era. I loved his explosiveness, had a penetrating kick and hit the scoreboard. Superstar in my view.

Still is for his work on PukaUp

Schwass was certainly not a superstar.

He was however my favourite player outside Carey, fantastic player for sure.

Hopefully Jy has another gear or two to get into, be great for him and us if he can.

If we are thinking critically: while Jy has at times this year stuffed up a few disposals, could his clanger stats also maybe reflect the state of a tired, unfit, stagnant undermanned and inexperienced midfield fuelled by a slow and dysfunctional game plan, that he was feeding the ball to?…
Except Davies-Uniacke playing in the same midfield uses it much better - LDU has:
  • a kicking efficiency of 68% versus Simpkin 49%
  • a disposal efficiency of 77% v Simpkin 62%
  • had 63 clangers this year v Simpkin's 102.

some very simplistic analysis in here

year after year, the clanger leaderboard is normally a whos who list of the best players in the league. you cant draw too many conclusions from it.

having said that, obviously jys disposal is below his usual standard this year. it will improve as the team improves and he has more support and better options. knowing jys work ethic, im sure he will at least get it back to a more than acceptable level.

in fact he is capable of turning his kicking into a serious weapon. despite all his blunders, he still hits more sublime passes off both feet than probably anyone else we have.

Simpkin has had some seriously average displays this year compared to last year despite similar stat lines. Last season he was doing enough with the pill for his heavy clanger count to be kinda glossed over. This year his disposal has been by and large woeful, be that in the contest or when he has been able to find space on the outside. It has been good to see in the last few weeks Jy getting back to some of the form from 2021 and hopefully he will continue to improve his evasiveness in the contest and his use, especially by foot.

I get the feeling he hasn't been playing with a lot of freedom this year. Hopefully the return of Cunners in 23, LUD's continued development, the rise of the likes of JHF, Phillips, Thomas and Powell, and a new coach gives him the confidence to express himself a bit more. He has bags of talent.

Schwass was an absolute certified gun. Back to back Syds in 94 and 95 when Carey was at his peak. Any assertion other than him being a superstar is way wide of the mark.

I reckon he’s just about the most under appreciated player we’ve ever had.

I reckon he’s just about the most under appreciated player we’ve ever had.
Especially when you can look at it through the lens of he did all he did and there was a big black dog sitting on top of him.

Absolute superstar!!!!

You know what, the good thing is that when you're inevitably proven wrong next year, you can just come back and delete all of your shit posts and pretend you never made them.

Aka the Saintly strategy.

You know what, the good thing is that when you're inevitably proven wrong next year, you can just come back and delete all of your s**t posts and pretend you never made them.

Aka the Saintly strategy.
LOL

That's a lot of deletions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back