Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to know why i didn't have him in the bests:
He went up against Merrett and Merrett was better and more damaging, between him and Stringer in who was best on IMO.
Jy Turned it over maybe 10 times or so, went at 47% or something like that, blind kicking to Essendon players several times.

I gave votes to Goldy, Who whilst not winning the hit outs gave draper a bath.
CZ, who also beat his opponent and was our best forward.
And Stevo who I thought was damaging in his role at half back and was one of the few able to transition the play.

Jy was probably next for me.
And the Richmond game?

Jy’s clanger count is inflated due to the type of kicks he does. That hack kick out of the middle or out of a pack to gain territory. If that gets intercepted or the opposition takes possession it’s classed as a clanger. Ziebell used to feature extremely highly in that stat as well when he played in the middle.

Although he does stuff up the odd field kick, it’s not like those clangers are all him on the run and in space.

I interpret the uplift post Noble as pressure being released for him from needing to be the main guy (a role he’s not suited to) while needing to play a leading role in a game plan most didn’t understand. Also while needing to play that leadership role to a team that had lot of disharmony in it.

His disposal being patchy in the retention plan we were running makes me somewhat surprised he didn’t melt. Rather he pushed through and the tide is hopefully turning.

The best thing we have seen post Noble IMO is the synergy that seems to be emerging between LDU and Jy.

We saw it clearly in the Richmond game. Mitchell was so worried about it he applied a hard tag to Jy to shut him down. This is a pretty big amount of respect being paid to him.

As to consistency and better disposal, we’ve been last or thereabouts for three years, there isn’t a player on our list that doesn’t need to improve. Including the current flavours of the month McKay and LDU.
When Jy wins the clearance and not only has LDU to release to, but JHF, TT, Powell and has cover from Cunnington then he will be sublime. This is when it’ll turn. When we can hit lace out passes inside 50 rather than hacking it forward. It turned for Cripps and Walsh and Oliver and it can and will for Jy.
The way the teams building by round 23 when everyone’s up and running we’re going to give the Suns a belting.
And will have to hold onto that all preseason. Just don’t get sucked into the hype.

Not a piss take.

I genuinely appreciate it.

I don't mind people having opinions on who should get votes but i hate seeing people get paid out in the vote thread for putting themselves on the line and giving someone a vote because they thought that player deserved it.
lol i feel personally attacked rn

sorry ferbs. it's fair to say that when i saw ol' mate banjos take the piss after the weekend i couldn't help but call it out as bullshit

edit: but to be fair, i did it in the same post where i posted my votes so it wasn't just a dig alone

double edit: it really just shits me though. I don't think I've ever seen a North player as good as this bloke is, and he's genuinely special, get as much disrespect and under appreciation as Jy does

Last edited:

sorry ferbs. it's fair to say that when i saw ol' mate banjos take the piss after the weekend i couldn't help but call it out as bullshit

edit: but to be fair, i did it in the same post where i posted my votes so it wasn't just a dig alone
I missed that lol. Very naughty.

One year Jed came third in the Syd and fourth in our votes as well and one particular poster didn't vote for him all year. I still give him shit about it every now and then, I try not to in the votes thread tho.

I don't care as much if people vote and make comments like yours to be honest. At least you voted. Just try not to be too nasty about it.

double edit: it really just shits me though. I don't think I've ever seen a North player as good as this bloke is, and he's genuinely special, get as much disrespect and under appreciation as Jy does
Not trying to gang up on you(I did respond to your post in the other thread) but I think it’s fair point that’s he’s not quite a superstar.

I do think his season as a whole is evidence, superstars to me are truly match winning types. Again he’s been very good the last fortnight and if we can get that every week then absolutely I would change my assessment, he can do it but he hasn’t quite done that

Not trying to gang up on you(I did respond to your post in the other thread) but I think it’s fair point that’s he’s not quite a superstar.

I do think his season as a whole is evidence, superstars to me are truly match winning types. Again he’s been very good the last fortnight and if we can get that every week then absolutely I would change my assessment, he can do it but he hasn’t quite done that
lol people are getting a bit hung up on my choice of words to describe him and taking it a bit too seriously

maybe it was hyperbole to balance out some of the nonsense that's said about him by others

lol people are getting a bit hung up on my choice of words to describe him and taking it a bit too seriously

maybe it was hyperbole to balance out some of the nonsense that's said about him by others
But similarly I think Lloyd saying he wasn’t a superstar was taken similarly out of balance.

Overall good good very good player at his best, we’d be pretty special if he can do that more and more

Iam just looking fwd to when the jy thread is about jy again.
You mean we're supposed to stay on topic? Here I was thinking it was like a guideline.
Now, is it parma or parmi?

It's a shame he got exposed today by someone younger and less experienced, I thought he wold be able to contain his man this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While the headline over the past couple of months has been LDU's rise to superstardom. I think it's worth drawing attention to how much better Jy Simpkin has been ever since LDU took over as the number one midfielder

If you leave out the game against Hawthorn where he poorly handled a tag, his averages across seven games post-bye are (pre-bye in brackets):
Disposals: 31.7 (24.8)
Supercoach: 107.3 (85.6)

While the headline over the past couple of months has been LDU's rise to superstardom. I think it's worth drawing attention to how much better Jy Simpkin has been ever since LDU took over as the number one midfielder

If you leave out the game against Hawthorn where he poorly handled a tag, his averages across seven games post-bye are (pre-bye in brackets):
Disposals: 31.7 (24.8)
Supercoach: 107.3 (85.6)
And noticeably the Hawthorn game was our poorest as a side. We are much, much better with Jy doing well.

Had an extremely rough first half or so of this year for whatever reason but he's now back to his best.

He needs a bigger body in there to protect him, and so he doesn't just cop the tag. Last year it was Cunnington and this year its LDU finally playing midfield full time in the past 10 weeks. Very easy to forget he is basically the size of a crumbing forward and he has been battered for three years now.

He's the front runner for Captain I reckon.

Agree completely.

I can’t foresee a situation where his years of off field is superseded by anyones onfield performance over the last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back