Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know something we don’t mate? He finished the game, nothing reported and is no sign of a head knock to date.

Fingers crossed for Jy.
No more than you. Fingers crossed.

Played a very good game watching the replay.
Very good.

When were surging, Jy is always in the right place. He kicked that ball inside 50 for Zurhaar's 4th.
And if Larkey had any awareness, Jy was ready for the handball when were making one of our plays.

Very good.

When were surging, Jy is always in the right place. He kicked that ball inside 50 for Zurhaar's 4th.
And if Larkey had any awareness, Jy was ready for the handball when were making one of our plays.
Other than picking the ball up and giving the hands to Paul Curtis to have a shot at goal from 30 out directly infront or give a joe the goose over the top to win the game.. other than that part yeh?

Very good.

His last 2 games have been his best two games in at least a year or two IMO. Been in great form - hope he can keep it up from here. To my eye he's the Captain now.

Other than picking the ball up and giving the hands to Paul Curtis to have a shot at goal from 30 out directly infront or give a joe the goose over the top to win the game.. other than that part yeh?
Look I agree with you. He f***ed the soccer kick.
If you look back tho he was in attacking positions for so many of our goals and without him we don't get that close.

Same with Zurhaar last week. Played a great game and let himself down by trying to barge through the tackle instead of getting the ball quickly inside 50.

The boys deserve reward for effort, but am hoping these close losses stir them on a bit.

They don't know how to win. That's the issue. Its up to the senior boys to change that mentality.

He's a good player, is more involved in the past games he has played. Those kicks on the weekend to put zurhaar to advantage to kick goals is a very skillful player. I remember maybe 2nd quarter viney was hassling him, I thought he was been submissive but when the play came back in he's area he was going toe to toe with Viney, I thought that's it that's what I wanted to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Jy can inspire LMax to lift his game and show why the players also picked him as a Captain. I think TBH they are both warming the chairs for Sheezel and Wardlaw.

When Pagan gave Carey the crown, he was only 21 and the 2nd youngest ever Captain. Let’s see what 2025 brings.

With Wardlaw out we needed a big one from him today. Couldn’t deliver.
Needs to stop thinking he is fricking Patrick Cripps in a contest and thinking he can break tackles!! give the first outlet!!

With Wardlaw out we needed a big one from him today. Couldn’t deliver.
Needs to stop thinking he is fricking Patrick Cripps in a contest and thinking he can break tackles!! give the first outlet!!
Spot on, dance around a tackle instead of trying the fend off every time, a mans gotta know his capabilities.

Phark, he was very solid today, and I get the feeling he is building really well after such a sporadic last 12 months.

His first quarter was pretty good and then he was still a bit in and out.

He was far from our worst though.

We need st least one of the Captains to stand up each week. His disposal is very average and so many sling it on the boot dump kicks that do not help the forward line at all. Has to lift and tell his other captain that he needs to do more than ruffle players hair.

Last edited:
That was a shit game.
Reality was he was substandard and his kicking was 2021-22 levels of poor.

Imagine taking three bounces, steadying and then not hitting a regulation 20 metre pass inside 50.

Add that to not being able to break tackles and not giving the first option, he was a sitting duck for the opposition.

Pull the finger out for next weeks game against the Suns, whose mids will hunt him the same way.

I wonder if he could be remodelled into a pressure forward. He’s centre square time is only going to get less and less as our young guys mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back