Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

But Stephens has been obviously soft in every game he's played for us. Jy is never soft.
Stephens can hit a target and isn’t a one trick pony.

Fake the same way every time, that’ll fool em jy. Oh thats if you don’t drop the ball, if you do fool em, you’ll stub ya toe on the ground grubbing the ball or blast it over ya leading players head or not see a loose player in 30m of space.

But wow wee, jy can find the ball..

To be fair Luke’s last couple of months he’s largely curbed that and played more within himself.
100% agree. A simple change that has yielded good results. In fact I've noticed the whole team is always looking to retain possession - not many look rushed out there. The number of times we get caught holding the ball must be higher... but I don't mind it - better to try and create a scoring chain than just blaze away.

Which other AFL midfields would jy be a walk up in?
He'd play midfield for most of the bottom 8 teams and possibly Geelong.

I love Jy, but him kicking it 10m above the leading forwards head or handballing to team mates feet is getting very old.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It just can’t believe more people than myself share this very opinion.

Skills and kicking, Phillips has him.

Jy’s lack of power through his kick. Hail Mary’s from the centre and turn overs should be worrying signs as our captain who is 26, probably isn’t going to be getting any better at those things.

But no, jy is untouchable.

Didn’t we win games without him last year?
His endeavour is not a problem, and his leadership isn't either, but you don't want the ball in his hands forward of centre. It's making it too easy for the opposition. Not talking about getting rid of him, but finding a spot away from where the delivery is hindering the forwards. People talk about the forwards not working hard enough, but the aerial kick and hopes are not helping either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the errors I thought he had some positive impact. He obviously didn't have his best game but played a part still.

He wasn't the only one that made errors. Our midfield as a whole wasn't exactly flash 100% of the time (which is unrealistic to expect).

He working hard on not punching opponents, although according to old mate, Jy was close to whacking one of them long haired hairband wearers for the Cats. fwiw he should havelol

Have a look at what Jy does just after Duursma's screamer. Gives a nice drive-by in the stomach to Balta who was standing on the mark. I'm actually surprised a free wasn't given because we know they have been plenty of times in the past.

Needs to pull his head in regarding these sorts of actions. He's the bloody captain ffs.

Have a look at what Jy does just after Duursma's screamer. Gives a nice drive-by in the stomach to Balta who was standing on the mark. I'm actually surprised a free wasn't given because we know they have been plenty of times in the past.

Needs to pull his head in regarding these sorts of actions. He's the bloody captain ffs.
Yeah, Hodge would never do that.. Selwood was a saint… Simpkin hasn’t taken a backwards step since his debut. We were pushovers for a decade.

Have you noticed that all the players adore him as a captain? Thats probably the only metric I need.

Yeah, Hodge would never do that.. Selwood was a saint… Simpkin hasn’t taken a backwards step since his debut. We were pushovers for a decade.

Have you noticed that all the players adore him as a captain? Thats probably the only metric I need.
There's right/fair ways to show physical dominance and aggression and then there's dumb, morale sapping ways.

I love Jy's physicality and courage, his willingness to put his body on the line and do the hard stuff. But that has nothing to do with the random silly acts that show a lack of discipline and concentration. And I'm not only talking about him but a fair few of our team do this (Curtis, Corr etc come to mind).

I get that we're a young team still learning and evolving. But the fact that it comes from Jy as captain is disappointing. Obviously a minor act which didn't get picked up on this occasion but I've seen it from him before a few too many times now. Not looking forward to if/when it costs us a game.

It just can’t believe more people than myself share this very opinion.

Skills and kicking, Phillips has him.

Jy’s lack of power through his kick. Hail Mary’s from the centre and turn overs should be worrying signs as our captain who is 26, probably isn’t going to be getting any better at those things.

But no, jy is untouchable.

Didn’t we win games without him last year?
Here’s the thing.
We don’t need Jy to be one of the main bananas in the engine room.

It’s not 2020-22.

We’ve gone past relying on him and that’s okay.

Plays in every mid without a doubt.

Do remember a midfield isnt the starting 3. Its made up of 6 rotating and 2-3 pinch hitting mids.
If opposition assistant coaches don’t put any work into a player and pretty much just let them run free, that tells me all we need to know about how they’re viewed externally.

LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher would all cause more headaches for our opponents.

Jy trains hard and has been at the club 8 years now.
Hes captain for a young group due to his experience.
Hes only ever going to be a B+ midfielder at best. Half forward will be his role going forward by weight of numbers.

I’d argue any midfield minutes he’s played this year are those made available by Thomas’s sacking.
If we take another midfielder with pick 2 then that tells us that we still believe our engine room is not the finished product.

Here’s the thing.
We don’t need Jy to be one of the main bananas in the engine room.

It’s not 2020-22.

We’ve gone past relying on him and that’s okay.

If opposition assistant coaches don’t put any work into a player and pretty much just let them run free, that tells me all we need to know about how they’re viewed externally.

LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher would all cause more headaches for our opponents.

Jy trains hard and has been at the club 8 years now.
Hes captain for a young group due to his experience.
Hes only ever going to be a B+ midfielder at best. Half forward will be his role going forward by weight of numbers.

I’d argue any midfield minutes he’s played this year are those made available by Thomas’s sacking.
If we take another midfielder with pick 2 then that tells us that we still believe our engine room is not the finished product.
B+ is at his pinnacle. He’s playing like a D grader.

B+ is at his pinnacle. He’s playing like a D grader.
Just had to look at richmond to see how much it hurts to have mids who butcher inside 50s. Prestia, hopper, taranto all wsy less than 50% DE. That was the game.
Over the last few weeks, Some of jys decidions to not take first option or blast it forward, getting smothered or turned over, are hurting us. Gets picked up in coverage a lot. Needs to tidy it up asap. And learn to dish hands off. Its mostly mental, decision making stuff.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed. There’s literally only negatives that can come from this sort of thing depending on how hard he gets his target, ranging from the ball being given to Balta to Jy missing a game. Lucky it was only a love tap and the umpire either didn’t see it or thought that’s all it was.

I do tend to hold my breath a lot when he’s got the ball. Take the first option Jy and no more of those hack kicks into the forward line please

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back