Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

You make it sound like he is coming back from a fatal car crash. He was bumped late on a footy field..
Agree his skills have always been below par, but hasn't been himself this season. That HTB on half time he was like a dear in the headlights. Im actually not too sure he didn't think it was a mark given the way he shook it after taking it, as many do after taking a one grabber.

Endurance, gut running and once had dancing feet.
I think the sad reality is players like Sheezel have shown what endurance actually looks like in a four quarter effort, and gut running by wardlaw with his repeat efforts. I don’t think I’ve seen Jy do anything close to those two in the past two years or at all.
Sadly the dancing feet just stopped? Why is that?
If there is any chance he can make it as a small forward?

I think the sad reality is players like Sheezel have shown what endurance actually looks like in a four quarter effort, and gut running by wardlaw with his repeat efforts. I don’t think I’ve seen Jy do anything close to those two in the past two years or at all.
Well we know he takes out the time trials every year, the other 2 questions = i dont know.

It's about the only spot on the ground I can think of for him right now. He is a pretty solid set shot and obviously has a good endurance base so you'd think that maybe it could work out, but his lack of pace might be an issue as a small forward.

Cannot afford to have him kicking it inside 50 so half forward and wing is out, he is clearly not up to it in the midfield and I cannot see him in the back half.

Without sounding like too much of a condescending smart arse, what is Jy’s ability and talent?
His best trait was always his evasiveness and being clean in stoppage. Unfortunately, there is none of that, whilst his skills and bad positioning remain ever present. A bit of an elephant in the room with how bad he is going.

Putting my stake in the ground and backing him for the future.

His season was physically messed up by the inbred bloke from St Kilda. To still come back and give whatever he has in the tank for the team under duress speaks to his character.

He has talent and deserves the chance to recover fully physically and show us what he's got next year. His form is hardly from a lack of ability or dedication.

I wonder how much the concussions have f***ed with his spatial awareness.

Keeps getting caught.

In another timeline we would probably be talking about the mark he took where if the bloke he stood on didn't crumple like a house of cards he'd likely be in the running for mark of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ferball give me something that disproves the criticism, dont give me concussions because Joel Selwood lead his club like a warrior and can barely speak, a bloke that bled and copped it sweet to lead his team. The fundamental of why that team has never squandered. A legend, a stalwart, a champion who epitomised hard footy and leadership.

ferball give me something that disproves the criticism, dont give me concussions because Joel Selwood lead his club like a warrior and can barely speak, a bloke that bled and copped it sweet to lead his team. The fundamental of why that team has never squandered. A legend, a stalwart, a champion who epitomised hard footy and leadership.
Selwood led a team of superstars that were all capable of playing better footy than him and could hold the side up as well, not carry it on his own.

Jy's had a terrible two seasons of injuries and head knocks but until the last two weeks he'd always attack the man and the ball with the sort of intensity you'd want to see from a leader. He constantly blocks, shepherds and creates space for other players in our midfield and he's basically tiny compared to the players who did that job in the past. Guys like Cunnington and Ziebell.

You'll probably laugh but you're a former ruck yeah?

A couple of weeks ago he shepherded two players off the contest (at once) so LDU could get space and run on to kick his second goal. I've done that shit week in week out and I'm smaller than Jy. It tires you out week after week cos you're always doing to blokes that are bigger than you are.

I'd say he's just ****ed and needs a rest.

Selwood led a team of superstars that were all capable of playing better footy than him and could hold the side up as well, not carry it on his own.

Jy's had a terrible two seasons of injuries and head knocks but until the last two weeks he'd always attack the man and the ball with the sort of intensity you'd want to see from a leader. He constantly blocks, shepherds and creates space for other players in our midfield and he's basically tiny compared to the players who did that job in the past. Guys like Cunnington and Ziebell.

You'll probably laugh but you're a former ruck yeah?

A couple of weeks ago he shepherded two players off the contest (at once) so LDU could get space and run on to kick his second goal. I've done that shit week in week out and I'm smaller than Jy. It tires you out week after week cos you're always doing to blokes that are bigger than you are.

I'd say he's just ****ed and needs a rest.
I used the Selwood because he never let his concussions or injuries or being tired as an excuse to lead.

So he’s tired? To explain his inability to dispose of the football, fatigue? He hasn’t played a full year.

He turns it over constantly and he thinks he can give the dont argue.. he just cant. Blocking isn’t enough ferbs, his leadership isn’t there.

He was a good leader 4 years ago, he’s not cut of the right stuff to put that team on his back and haul em up the hill

Probably more his recent relationship break up .
b8392077146edcad8f3e49aae52cab13.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Why didn't Jy win his milestone games? Is he stupid?

Based on Clarko's comments on Friday, its clear how he and the club feel about the current leaders and the fact were so open to trying to bring in a Viney or Ward or Parker says all we need to know about Jy and the other donkey playing in defence. The standards are set by a 19yo. Were taking the piss aren't we.

I have never called for him to be dropped or sacked, however his place in the midfield has been disastrous for years. His contract is a bad one, but he does have a place at high half forward working into the middle.

Give the man his flowers when he plays well. But when he clearly plays poorly and costs the side by his decision making, its the consistent tone deaf defence on here based upon nothing except the fact he's captain and if you dare critically analyse his efforts you are enemy number one. I don't ****ing get it.

Are we here to win games of football and get better or sentiment?

The calls of "he tries hard" and "he's had a few bad knocks" are nonsense.

He's killing us in the middle. One more week and then straight to half forward next year.

The reality is anyone who thinks he's going okay is a certified idiot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back