AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

If Port/Crows offer him a good contract and it nets us band 1, I'd let him go. He's more often a liability than net positive.

100%. He has some great physical attributes but his fundamental skills are flawed beyond repair and seem to undo his good work more often than not (and often in the same play).

Outside of the best handful I also think ruck is a position where you can get by okay with just a big competitor with okay skills that you could probably easily get for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

plays his best game of the year as sole ruck. back to average the week after. what changed?
Is this not normal Draper ? Personally I would not have played two rucks so you can hang that one on the coach but Sam has not exactly been consistent week to week either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel sorry for him, he read that footy 10 times quicker than everyone else, busted his arse to run past at least 2 cats players, stopped and propped and came back at the ball which is exactly what any good, smart forward should do and drew a clear free, at a critical time.

Probably one of, if not the smartest passages of his career which isn’t know for it and it goes unrewarded.

Feel sorry for him, he read that footy 10 times quicker than everyone else, busted his arse to run past at least 2 cats players, stopped and propped and came back at the ball which is exactly what any good, smart forward should do and drew a clear free, at a critical time.

Probably one of, if not the smartest passages of his career which isn’t know for it and it goes unrewarded.
It was always the risk, made the umpires look like dills against the crows, and he'll struggle with them from here on out.

Just got to back him for rest of year and see if he can play rest of season solo. If he doesn't step up consistently then let's start making plans, but he is the best option we have and lifts the team when he is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back