Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

In my view, Nick was best on ground yesterday. He did everything. He clunked his marks, he roved, he kicked straight, he created opportunities for others and he pressured the opposition. Quite simply, he was the difference.
He was good no doubt but jy, ldu, X wardlaw and even sheez were all pretty hard to split.

An interesting article from the SEN website.

“GENUINE STAR”: WHAT SEPARATES NICK LARKEY FROM THE OTHER GUN KEY FORWARDS IN THE AFL

“GENUINE STAR”: WHAT SEPARATES NICK LARKEY FROM THE OTHER GUN KEY FORWARDS IN THE AFL​

BY LACHLAN GELEIT 10 HOURS AGO
13WCNM241065.jpg

Nick Larkey deserves huge credit for North Melbourne’s first win of the season which came in the 65-74 result against West Coast in Perth on Saturday.
The key forward was dominant for the Roos, kicking a bag of five goals to go with 15 disposals, six marks and four tackles.
Kane Cornes pointed out that Larkey’s big performances often result in wins for the Kangaroos as he’s booted 24 goals in North’s last four wins.
He pondered just how good the 2023 All-Australian could be if he was playing in a top side with quality service.
“Look at his record in wins (24 goals in North Melbourne’s last four victories). Imagine if he played in a good side,” Cornes said on AFL.com.au’s The Round So Far.
“What he did last year as an All-Australian in a team that’s as poor as North Melbourne (was great).
“In the last five wins, he’s kicked five, nine, four and six goals.”
It’s not just Larkey’s scoreboard impact that impresses though, with Cornes hailing the big Roo for his second efforts and willingness to stay in the contest until the ball is dead.
After kicking just two goals from the last three games, Cornes was glad to see the 26-year-old get some better service which allowed him to have a huge impact on the game.
“I just love his second efforts,” Cornes said.
“If he doesn’t mark it he just never gives up on the play, that’s what I think separates him from the other better forwards in the game.
“If he drops it he gets straight back up, he never gives up on a play and always stays involved.
“Credit to him, it has been a little bit lean for him in the last few weeks (in terms of scoreboard return) and you can understand why with the performance from his side.
“But today (Saturday) he got some better service … he is clutch.
“He is a genuine star of this game.”
Larkey will hope to keep his good form going when North Melbourne face Collingwood at Marvel Stadium next Sunday.

In my view, Nick was best on ground yesterday. He did everything. He clunked his marks, he roved, he kicked straight, he created opportunities for others and he pressured the opposition. Quite simply, he was the difference.
Same to mention his marking but you'd covered it. Was prominent.

Sit 19th for North's goal kickers. Will move into top 10 65 more goals. Sometime next year you'd think.

Where do we think he'll finish up? If he plays ~250 games probably a top 3 finish???

Look at those behinds compared to others too.

As we improve he'll benefit too!!

1718154200773.png

Sit 19th for North's goal kickers. Will move into top 10 65 more goals. Sometime next year you'd think.

Where do we think he'll finish up? If he plays ~250 games probably a top 3 finish???

View attachment 2017587
500 goals is a real probability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2017587

We really took Ben Brown for granted.

287 goals in 130 games is incredible efficiency.

Larkey isn’t a player that I necessarily line up for their performances. But is the praise Corne is giving really warranted for what we’ve seen so far this year?
Don’t get me wrong, it was an amazing game. But this looked like the first real effort from what I can vaguely remember from this 2024 season.

Why was he able to play so much better against west coast? Was it purely midfield assertion/quick delivery? I just don’t understand how he has games like this and then has a string of games where it’s like he is playing with a weighted blanket over him

Larkey isn’t a player that I necessarily line up for their performances. But is the praise Corne is giving really warranted for what we’ve seen so far this year?
Don’t get me wrong, it was an amazing game. But this looked like the first real effort from what I can vaguely remember from this 2024 season.

Why was he able to play so much better against west coast? Was it purely midfield assertion/quick delivery? I just don’t understand how he has games like this and then has a string of games where it’s like he is playing with a weighted blanket over him
Did you not notice how less congested the fwd line was? couple of times he was able to reel round without running into traffic, i know its not a popular opinion but i think pink was at least a factor, compare that to earlier in the season when he had chumps like ccj spoiling him

Did you not notice how less congested the fwd line was? couple of times he was able to reel round without running into traffic, i know its not a popular opinion but i think pink was at least a factor, compare that to earlier in ghe season when he had chumps like ccj spoiling him
Yep spot on and there were one on ones that looked like an even if not a Larkey favoured match up.
But why was it vs almost every other game this year?
I think you’re right, you can’t have two defenders going to one forward leaving a 195cm player marking ability on his own.
It’s just frustrating seeing two types of games. It’s not a dig at Larkey but it’s either he is free to play or he is absolutely smothered.
Maybe we didn’t really understand the expectations they had for ccj this year.

i know its not a popular opinion but i think pink was at least a factor
Oh it’s a very popular opinion. The only person I’ve seen arguing otherwise is nostrils. I can see how it seems unpopular though as nostrils posts about it a thousand times per thread

View attachment 2017587
I reckon he ends up somewhere between Boomer and Blighty.

Yep spot on and there were one on ones that looked like an even if not a Larkey favoured match up.
I think you’re right, you can’t have two defenders going to one forward leaving a 195cm player marking ability on his own.
It’s just frustrating seeing two types of games. It’s not a dig at Larkey but it’s either he is free to play or he is absolutely smothered.
I can understand the expectations, its the delivery where it fell down.

Pink being quite mobile - compared to CCJ at least - meant McGovern was kept out of dangerous places.

McGovern had only two marks, the fewest he's had in a full game (ie not subbed off) in about three years.

If he was able to hang around our F50 getting leather poisoning, Larkey would have been shut out and we wouldn't have got close to them.

More often than not, the full forward's day is determined by what happens up the ground, and Saturday was a perfect example of that.

Did you not notice how less congested the fwd line was? couple of times he was able to reel round without running into traffic, i know its not a popular opinion but i think pink was at least a factor, compare that to earlier in the season when he had chumps like ccj spoiling him
The Eagles being shit probably helped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back