Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

The more I think about this the more it just annoys me. Sam deserves to play in a grand final and he’s played his best season to help us reach it, only to miss out at the last minute? And to make it worse, we could lose due to him being out.

If he doesn’t get up I hope we win and he still gets a medal because he’s part of this as much as anyone else. Still praying that he recovers in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How dare he get injured!

People calling Reid selfish are bloody idiots
No one is blaming him getting injured. He's been in the league for over a decade, he would have known he couldn't compete today. Selfish.

Especially when we're now hearing 20 year Max Holmes ruled himself out even after ticking all the required players

I know it wouldn't have made a difference tonthe result if we didn't take Reid into the game, I still think he was selfish putting his hand up. He was clearly hampered by his injury, had little impact, and had to be replaced. Pretty inexcusable imo, particularly given JPK put his body through the most extreme of tests to ensure he was fit, and ultimately re-injured himself. That's the sort of selfless attitude we need at the swans.

Pretty disappointed in Reid

Search this thread, no one has bagged the guy more than me

but cmon He didnt pick himself or clear himself medically

He wanted to play sure, But the team desperately needed/wanted him,

Unless the doctor said mate you can't go and he overuled him etc then not sure how he is selfish for playing.

Ok yes he can go nah don't pick me, but if you can move and its starting to hurt less etc and you are being told it will work and we have a plan re using you, why wouldn't you play

Horse and co selected him, its on them imo

From Horses presser:
Horse: "We hardly got anything right, from the selection of Sam, to the way the game looked, we just didn't get it right"
Reporter: On Sam, how fit was he going into the game? Or how confident were you that he would get through a majority of the game?
Horse: "Well we were obviously confident, that's why we picked him, but we made a mistake"

The way Horse responded to that question, and his body language/demeanour, suggested the call was made without all information needed to make the right call. I'm not sure whether that was Sam minimising the extent of his injury, or the club doctor not being diligent enough in their assessment of Sam, but I get the impression that Horse was disappointed the end result of Sam being deemed fit, and that it was for reasons beyond his control.

I'm assuming it's partly Sam putting his hand up, and partly the doc perhaps being overly optimistic of Reid's fitness based on the scans and not putting him through rigorous testing (obviously to ensure they didn't aggravate the injury further). Ultimately, Reid was not fit to play, and between Reid and the medical staff, that should have been clear.

In saying that, it was one of many things that didn't go right. Realistically, Reid getting injured against Collingwood was probably the moment our season ended. We didn't have an adequate replacement, it's an obvious hole in our list. McLean & Armatey were not the answer. We tried to plug that hole with Ladhams, but his ill-discipline throughout the year put a red mark against his name. The Port game was the first warning sign, it meant we didn't have an opportunity to give him a run in the seniors, and then his suspension ruled him out completely. Question remains whether we can rely on Ladhams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely his fitness testing required him to explode, jostle for position, change direction etc.

How that man was deemed fit today is beyond me and requires an internal investigation
One thing I do know, based on Horse's response, is that he's learned a valuable lesson (added to the lessons he may have taken from the 2016 selections), he'll know what to do when faced with that situation in future. The other part of the equation is having a backup plan for the loss of particular players. Our lack of depth in the ruck was exposed in finals, I'm sure we'll look to address that in the short term, and that may mean giving McLean/Armatey more time in the ruck throughout the season so that we can at least call on them if required. We knew mid way through the season that Hickey & Ladhams as our ruck options, with Reid our only reasonable backup left us vulnerable, and unfortunately, it hit us at the worst possible time.

One thing I do know, based on Horse's response, is that he's learned a valuable lesson (added to the lessons he may have taken from the 2016 selections), he'll know what to do when faced with that situation in future. The other part of the equation is having a backup plan for the loss of particular players. Our lack of depth in the ruck was exposed in finals, I'm sure we'll look to address that in the short term, and that may mean giving McLean/Armatey more time in the ruck throughout the season so that we can at least call on them if required. We knew mid way through the season that Hickey & Ladhams as our ruck options, with Reid our only reasonable backup left us vulnerable, and unfortunately, it hit us at the worst possible time.

Ladhams would have been pretty handy.

Ladhams would have been pretty handy.
Ladhams couldn't hack playing his old side, then went and got himself suspended in the 2s. Even if he was available for the GF, there would be huge question marks hanging over him if he were selected. He's an unknown quantity until he's been given a run over the course of a season and proves he can handle the responsibility week in week out. I'd be guessing of I were to suggest he was or wasn't capable of doing that.

With respect to most of the posters above this was entirely on the match committee and nothing on Reid.

reid was our most important player in the past ten matches or so precisely because he was second ruck and winning the ball around the contest. In fact he repeatedly both outrucked number 1 rucks and was more eff3ctive around the ground. His agility around the ball in the centre square was critical.

the moment he was not able to do this should have been the indication he should not be picked.

this was compounded by the match committee who then started looking at the second tall forward. Looking for him as a second tall without his ruckwork meant that they were always brining McLean in and the choice of second marking tall was between Reid and McDonald. In my view that should have been obvious to the match commmittee that he shouldn’t have been picked. No matter how selfish or otherwise. In fact it’s totally irrelevant.

the match committee said he was the best available second tall Forward. It’s not on Reid. It’s entirely on those selecting the team.

None of us know the truth behind Reid's selection. For all we know, he might have said "I'm not right Horse" but Horse said "Mate, we need you. Even on one leg, you're better than our alternatives. Don't let me down."

What we do know is prior to his injury, he was in career best form. Literally the number one forward / ruck in the game who was doing it all - All Australian level (besides his goal kicking). Assuming this injury is not permanent, we would be nuts not to re-sign him. Amartey, McLean, Ladhams, Buddy and McDonald are nowhere near what Sam was. Those calling for de-listing just need to chill. Go for a work out, take a valium, kick the dog - whatever you need to do to let some frustration out. I'm going down to the cricket nets to send some right arm rubbish down to my son - he's got cricket try outs coming up!

If there is going to be a roll of the dice, it has been proven time and again that you don't gamble on injured players during finals games

If Reid got that injury during the regular season and was subbed out of a game, is there much likelihood he would be considered okay to play the next week?
I think not
Almost certainly he would be given a reserves game or a week off to get the injury right , prove his fitness, not make it worse coming back early. That would be good player management.
Don't take a risk on an injured player in a GF. It's starting you at a point of disadvantage and if the player is key, and goes down or cannot compete at 100% effectiveness, you are one player down from the start, and that's what we were.

Selecting Reid was hoped to strengthen our forward line, providing a marking target and some goals. But if Reid, because of his injury, wasn't going to be risked helping in the ruck, that should have been a starting point for his non selection. If Reid wasn't going to be risked moving down back to help out, then again should have been a non starter. If Reid wasn't 100% going to be able to bring his tackling intensity, a non starter.
Simply put, if Reid wasn't going to be playing the role he has the last 10 weeks, then the GF is not the time to try and nurse him up forward.

Hindsight offers the perfect vision, but I reckon there was plenty in this selection decision prior to the game that said it should have been an omission.
What I hope is that Sydney learns from the Reid selection and carries that learning into future finals campaigns

I think we really missed his mobility in the ruck. Both McLean and Hickey seemed quite slow at the ruck contests once the ball hit the ground.So if Reid had been replaced by Mcdonald I think we still would have struggled in that key area.

Historically it will be remembered as a disastrous selection decision and a big talking point. But when the game was on the line in the 1st quarter. Was Reid that much ineffective compared to our other forwards?

the dumping on Reid is ridiculous now

played like crap but the selfish stuff cmon
I don't blame him at all, but I just don't see a spot for him in the future. I think McLean and Amartey deserve sometime together to get chemistry and next year is almost a write off now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back