Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Reid might've been a crucial part of the structure this year, but there's no reason McLean couldn't take his spot by March. In fact I hope he does, nothing against Reid but ya know he's made of glass and over 30

It's on the coaches to decide whether an injured player should play or not. Ofcourse the player will say and believe he will be fine to play. Coaches need to have the balls and smarts to not pick him if they think he's cooked.

Either the coaches thought he was fine, which is concerning because it indicates our fitness tests aren't good enough or they didn't have the balls to not pick him knowing he was cooked, which is also concerning.

It's on the coaches to decide whether an injured player should play or not. Ofcourse the player will say and believe he will be fine to play. Coaches need to have the balls and smarts to not pick him if they think he's cooked.

Either the coaches thought he was fine, which is concerning because it indicates our fitness tests aren't good enough or they didn't have the balls to not pick him knowing he was cooked, which is also concerning.
I think Punts was the first on here to predict the dropping of Logan for McLean / Amartey to cover the 2nd ruck and keep Reid in as the marking mobile forward. Clearly the coaches had no confidence in McDonald / McLean / Amartey to be better in this crucial role than Reid on one leg. Reid must have known he was not even close to 100% but I can only assumed he was encouraged to play out of their lack of faith in his backups and their pure desperation.

I'm not excusing this diabolical decision. Clearly Reid was not right and I'm baffled as to how our medical staff and / or coaches cleared him to play. But I'm just trying to work out how this mistake eventuated.

I think Punts was the first on here to predict the dropping of Logan for McLean / Amartey to cover the 2nd ruck and keep Reid in as the marking mobile forward. Clearly the coaches had no confidence in McDonald / McLean / Amartey to be better in this crucial role than Reid on one leg. Reid must have known he was not even close to 100% but I can only assumed he was encouraged to play out of their lack of faith in his backups and their pure desperation.

I'm not excusing this diabolical decision. Clearly Reid was not right and I'm baffled as to how our medical staff and / or coaches cleared him to play. But I'm just trying to work out how this mistake eventuated.

I think everyone had confidence after Reid passed the fitness test & they thought he could play a role similar to what he's done this year with Mclean pinch hitting in the ruck. Unfortunately Reid was cooked from the start which meant we had to carry him until he was subbed off and by that time Geelong exploited that matchup to put the result to bed. We made the same mistake as previous week by carrying Campbell (a small) as our emergency which screwed our structure once Reid was subbed off. We got smashed by Collingwood when we made the change to Campbell & the same thing occurred here.

I think everyone had confidence after Reid passed the fitness test & they thought he could play a role similar to what he's done this year with Mclean pinch hitting in the ruck. Unfortunately Reid was cooked from the start which meant we had to carry him until he was subbed off and by that time Geelong exploited that matchup to put the result to bed. We made the same mistake as previous week by carrying Campbell (a small) as our emergency which screwed our structure once Reid was subbed off. We got smashed by Collingwood when we made the change to Campbell & the same thing occurred here.

but this isn’t true. Reid’s role wasn’t as the second tall forward. He was a resting ruck. So he was playing a completely different role.

reid was known to not be rucking when the teams were announced. Reid was more than pinch hitting as a ruck. I can’t recall it clearly but the first centre sq that McLean went intone he was jumped all over and they kicked a goal - maybe their 4th. Given hickeys struggles with Hawkins this basically meant our rucks were demoralised after 15 minutes.

it should have been and was clear to the majority of this board as it should have been to the match committee that if Reid wasn’t rucking amartey was the obvious replacement. Reid then replacing McDonald compounded an otherwise crazy decision by adding a player who cannot defend to a midfield group that wasn’t able to get their hands on it.

it really didn’t matter in the end as every ball bounced their way every 50-50 decision went their way and every 50-50 contest went their way.

I’m glad he has re-signed for another year.

Wouldn’t be the first player to claim they could get through a game and genuinely convince themselves they could.

I hurt my neck in a prelim didn’t tell anyone and played a GF (lost by four points) had neck surgery 6 weeks later.

The tough call is for the coaches. It’s difficult as they seek input from the player.

Anyway deserved another contract for being a big part of our end of year results. Just a shame he got injured as it’s almost from that moment that things turned bad for the Swans

The club knew we needed him for the GF for structural reasons. We needed to test his fitness, but wanted to give him every chance to play, so we didn't want to go too hard and have him re-injure himself and unnecessarily rule him out when he otherwise could have played successfully. In saying that, he should have been given a thorough assessment just before the match, and ultimately should have been dropped because the thorough assessment should have resulted in him failing the test.

I'm glad he's gone on. He's been great this season, and is a key reason why we made the GF. The coaches will have time to have a plan B in the event Reid goes down again.

I’m glad he has re-signed for another year.

Wouldn’t be the first player to claim they could get through a game and genuinely convince themselves they could.

I hurt my neck in a prelim didn’t tell anyone and played a GF (lost by four points) had neck surgery 6 weeks later.

The tough call is for the coaches. It’s difficult as they seek input from the player.

Anyway deserved another contract for being a big part of our end of year results. Just a shame he got injured as it’s almost from that moment that things turned bad for the Swans

Once Reid got hurt we scored 74 to 184 in 6 quarters- probably a turning point

I will say that he has been exceptional this year and a major factor in getting us to the grand final. Without him rucking (obviously his jumping was affected) starting him as a non rucking forward and having McLean as second ruck makes no sense. Means two of your talls will struggle overhead (Reid and Buddy) and you have Buddy and McLean who are slow once the ball hits the deck allowing Geelong to rebound. As the game went on Reid hobbling then we have no real mobility in the talls and no marking options to relieve pressure and a very inexperienced second ruck
As others have said did it matter in the big scheme of things.... no. But it still seems one of the strangest decisions and to pull it in a grand final made it even more bizarre.
My preference if Reid wasn't 100% was to play Amartey as Reid's direct replacement and leave McDonald in. Amartey genuinely has a decent leap on him and can compete with bigger bodies and does have more mobility than McLean.
Reid deserves a contract for next year , his form was career best this year.
I suppose it will be between him , Horse and the fitness staff as to just how fit he was before the grand final. Whether we will ever find out or it will just be another part of grand final folklore I don't know.

I will say that he has been exceptional this year and a major factor in getting us to the grand final. Without him rucking (obviously his jumping was affected) starting him as a non rucking forward and having McLean as second ruck makes no sense. Means two of your talls will struggle overhead (Reid and Buddy) and you have Buddy and McLean who are slow once the ball hits the deck allowing Geelong to rebound. As the game went on Reid hobbling then we have no real mobility in the talls and no marking options to relieve pressure and a very inexperienced second ruck
As others have said did it matter in the big scheme of things.... no. But it still seems one of the strangest decisions and to pull it in a grand final made it even more bizarre.
My preference if Reid wasn't 100% was to play Amartey as Reid's direct replacement and leave McDonald in. Amartey genuinely has a decent leap on him and can compete with bigger bodies and does have more mobility than McLean.
Reid deserves a contract for next year , his form was career best this year.
I suppose it will be between him , Horse and the fitness staff as to just how fit he was before the grand final. Whether we will ever find out or it will just be another part of grand final folklore I don't know.
Totally agree and I'd just add one other thing.
I mentioned in the preview thread the last time McLean recorded a HO was 19 June (1 HO in the reserves).
We essentially don't play him in the ruck in the seniors, we don't play him in the ruck in the reserves, but we do decide to play him in the ruck in the Grand Final.
As you say bizarre.

We seem to have decided somehow that Reid didn't have the power/strength to ruck, but did have the power/strength to get around the ground and make himself a marking target. And surely his kicking would be impacted as well. (4 Handballs, no kicks).
And we have then compounded the error by bringing in an immobile fwd against arguably the most mobile defence in the league and play him as a second ruck, even though we don't even use him as a chop out in the reserves.

As you say Amartey and McDonald made much more sense.
Wouldn't have gone close to changing the result, but at least would have shown a degree of logic.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but this isn’t true. Reid’s role wasn’t as the second tall forward. He was a resting ruck. So he was playing a completely different role.

reid was known to not be rucking when the teams were announced. Reid was more than pinch hitting as a ruck. I can’t recall it clearly but the first centre sq that McLean went intone he was jumped all over and they kicked a goal - maybe their 4th. Given hickeys struggles with Hawkins this basically meant our rucks were demoralised after 15 minutes.

it should have been and was clear to the majority of this board as it should have been to the match committee that if Reid wasn’t rucking amartey was the obvious replacement. Reid then replacing McDonald compounded an otherwise crazy decision by adding a player who cannot defend to a midfield group that wasn’t able to get their hands on it.

it really didn’t matter in the end as every ball bounced their way every 50-50 decision went their way and every 50-50 contest went their way.

Where was it said Reid wouldn't be used in a similar role? Mclean was never going to play the same role as Reid, hence him pinch hitting in the ruck with Hickey taking the larger share of the ruck duties.

It’s gotta make you feel * if you are Amartey or McDonald

Yep, to people saying Reid selection had no bearing on the outcome of the day, think about how poor our forward pressure was and how quickly the ball was rebounding. We had a broken Reid, McLean and Buddy altogether. Any time we did go forward the ball came back quickly with interest.

Also obviously on our mids and smaller forwards, but Reid selection was certainly a factor that contributed to the result, just from a structural perspective (before considering a team morale perspective).

I have noted Horse has been a little dismissive about a Reid return.

Perhaps Horse has finally lost patience. Who knows how Reid was selected for the GF but at some stage Sam must have said he was good to go? The fact he returned to pre season with the adductor not healed and rehab’d would not have impressed Horse or Raper. The latter would have given Sam an off season program. Was it followed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back